Can anyone beat South Carolina? 12 questions on women’s college basketball | The Boneyard

Can anyone beat South Carolina? 12 questions on women’s college basketball

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As I noted on the main page, @SVCBeercats also might want to alert HuskyNan that you inadvertantly posted a duplicate thread and have one deleted before BYers post on both.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Anyone? No. Not just “anyone.” SC State cannot beat SCar

Can “someone” beat SCar. Of course. Even a Missouri or Kentucky can beat SCar during a NC run. This year is little different.

About any Quad 1 or 2 team CAN beat them. Can UCLA? Can South Dakota? Can UConn? Yes. Yes. Yes. Can any team in the SEC? Yes.

Reaction Score
The season is long. Parity is creeping. Injuries. Injuries. Did I mention injuries? Everyone is going to lose a head-scratcher this year. And the most dangerous teams are also the most desperate.

Reaction Score
They would've lost already if Stanford didn't hand them a win on a silver platter.
South Carolina with a couple of their best players on the road in foul trouble and playing almost none of the first half in front of 9000 opposing fans, brought mental toughness and lock down defense which led to their championship last year would not suggest that Stanford handed them anything. The took that win.

Reaction Score
South Carolina with a couple of their best players on the road in foul trouble and playing almost none of the first half in front of 9000 opposing fans, brought mental toughness and lock down defense which led to their championship last year would not suggest that Stanford handed them anything. The took that win.
Agreed, I don't see how anyone watched that game and thought Stanford handed the game away. Stanford basically did everything they needed to win the game.

They won the rebounding battle, got our whole front court in foul trouble in the first half, Brink absolutely went off for 25 points in 23 minutes and Boston battled with foul trouble all game and only played 5 more minute than Brink while providing much less offensively. Stanford did everything right until the final 10 seconds in OT in which SC already had the lead and even then SC seem to be doing their part to blow the game as well.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
They would've lost already if Stanford didn't hand them a win on a silver platter.
Stanford had it taken from them...they didn't hand it to them. That's what gets me about people who want to say things like that. You are making it what it wasn't.

Reaction Score
I guess all those years of hearing “UConn just got lucky again” prepared Husky fans to be really good at this now that somebody else is on top.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Ive talked about SC and Stanford not having a true point guard and how important it is to a team. In my eyes I watched the Stanford SC game and last nites game SC UCLA. Its a problem not having a point guard. SC's height was the difference last nite and Stanford fell apart late in their game along with SC's height which helped. SC and Stanford are great teams but imo lack a good point guard. It will be interesting with UConns healthy shooting attack if teams like ND SC and some other top teams on UConns schedule can stop them.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I watched that game. Stanford had the game won except for 2 costly turnovers late in regulation. They were outscored by 10 in the 4th quarter. That last ten minutes they played scared and not to lose. They couldn't put SC away. SC never quit or gave up. Kudos to them. To me that just means that Stanford (IMO) does not deserve to be #2. I won't mention the weak schedule they've played thus far. They've played only 1 ranked team thus far, and lost that one. What have they done to keep their #2 ranking? They have zero quality win thus far in 9 games.

Reaction Score
I guess all those years of hearing “UConn just got lucky again” prepared Husky fans to be really good at this now that somebody else is on top.
One comment from a UConn fan and you dump on the rest of us? Come on mannnnn! Oh and no one ever said UConn got lucky. They did say they have talent and are well coached, but luck? When and where?

Reaction Score
I watched that game. Stanford had the game won except for 2 costly turnovers late in regulation. They were outscored by 10 in the 4th quarter. That last ten minutes they played scared and not to lose. They couldn't put SC away. SC never quit or gave up. Kudos to them. To me that just means that Stanford (IMO) does not deserve to be #2. I won't mention the weak schedule they've played thus far. They've played only 1 ranked team thus far, and lost that one. What have they done to keep their #2 ranking? They have zero quality win thus far in 9 games.
Stanford originally had 3 ranked teams on their schedule. but Tennessee isn't ranked now. Only other ranked team they will play before conference play starts is Creighton.

Massey has UConn ranked 2nd, and UConn is 3rd in the AP Poll by 11 votes. Hard to drop #2 to #3 when they lose to #1 in overtime. I wouldn't be surprised if UConn is #2 next week if they convincedly beat Notre Dame.

Stanford lost 3 starters to graduation and wasn't sure who the point guard was going to be. Brink scored 6 of Stanford's 7 points in the 4th quarter and only played 23 minutes in the game. She scored 25 points and had 4 blocks before fouling out. Betts only played 4 minutes and scored 4 points. She should be much improved and get a lot more minutes by March.

UCLA has been a pretty good team the past few years, just had a lot of injuries. I'm hoping they stay healthy and have a good run this season. UCLA was one of only 2 teams that beat Stanford two years ago. Utah is playing well. PAC-12 has 5 teams in the Massey top 16 and 5 in the AP top 25. If Stanford has an off night, there is a decent chance they have one or two losses in conference play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ive talked about SC and Stanford not having a true point guard and how important it is to a team. In my eyes I watched the Stanford SC game and last nites game SC UCLA. Its a problem not having a point guard. SC's height was the difference last nite and Stanford fell apart late in their game along with SC's height which helped. SC and Stanford are great teams but imo lack a good point guard. It will be interesting with UConns healthy shooting attack if teams like ND SC and some other top teams on UConns schedule can stop them.
It will also be interesting to see if Uconn's front line can stay with either Stanford or SC, who both can play as aggressive as they want because they have posts for days. Will foul trouble be an issue for Uconn. All great questions

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone fell apart without help.

USC’s defense is a real thing.

Oddly the defense lineup is probably the best floor stretching unit as well.

UCLA was 8-15 (53.3%) in the 1st Period. They were 13-50 (26.0%) the rest of the game. In the 2nd period, UCLA was 3-7 (42.9%) from the 3-pt line. This was during a stretch in the 2nd Qtr. where UCLA got to their biggest lead of the game, at 10 pts. They were 2-14 (14.3%) from the 3-pt. line for the rest of the game, which was slightly better than our 1-14 (7.1%) effort.

South Carolina got 31 pts from Fletcher, Cooke, and Amihere, who essentially played G for most of the game.

It's odd how people will watch a team play an entire season, and when the odd game here or there supports their narrative, then THAT's how they played all season long, and will define them for any future games they may play....

Reaction Score

Well hopefully we'll see South Carolina and Connecticut get another chance to play for it all this season, since now Connecticut finally has a true point guard which obviously held them back last season....... (ha ha)

:cool:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well hopefully we'll see South Carolina and Connecticut get another chance to play for it all this season, since now Connecticut finally has a true point guard which obviously held them back last season....... (ha ha)

:cool:
From what Ive seen this season SC misses Henderson. Both teams are different this season. UConns shooters vs SC height. Gonna be a great game.

Reaction Score
From what Ive seen this season SC misses Henderson. Both teams are different this season. UConns shooters vs SC height. Gonna be a great game.
The thing is, as with last year, people try to poke holes in South Carolina's team as they continue to win, against a non-cupcake schedule, I might add. Last year this time, South Carolina won games like this and Henderson was out for about a month with injury, so the reliance that they have issues because she is not there is subjective at most. South Carolina has really good pgs who are new to playing with the other four starters and are learning each game how to fit in with them, ala Fletcher much better second half against UCLA and Stanford. South Carolina always gets better as the season moves along, as they did last year. Go back to your threads and people were making the same assertions of South Carolina's weaknesses and how, when they play Uconn the second time around, Uconn would be this much better but somehow South Carolina would stay the same. Well, we all know how that played out. I think South Carolina will look forward to that game as Dawn will keep them with that chip on their shoulder as the speculation of their abilities grow.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The thing is, as with last year, people try to poke holes in South Carolina's team as they continue to win, against a non-cupcake schedule, I might add. Last year this time, South Carolina won games like this and Henderson was out for about a month with injury, so the reliance that they have issues because she is not there is subjective at most. South Carolina has really good pgs who are new to playing with the other four starters and are learning each game how to fit in with them, ala Fletcher much better second half against UCLA and Stanford. South Carolina always gets better as the season moves along, as they did last year. Go back to your threads and people were making the same assertions of South Carolina's weaknesses and how, when they play Uconn the second time around, Uconn would be this much better but somehow South Carolina would stay the same. Well, we all know how that played out. I think South Carolina will look forward to that game as Dawn will keep them with that chip on their shoulder as the speculation of their abilities grow.
I have to agree with you we do how it turned out however we will never know how it might have changed if UConn was heathy. I’m sure you would agree if Paige was 100 percent and Azzi wasn’t sick and Dorka didn’t break her wrist Amari was healthy it may have been different ending

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, UCLA showed themselves capable of beating us for three quarters
SC deserved that win. They got it together in the 4th quarter with really good defense. Now, Rice certainly helped them out a bit at the end, but I think SC wins anyway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom