Can any team ACTUALLY beat South Carolina in women’s March Madness? These 3 Can! Coach Rob says Oh, yeah!!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can any team ACTUALLY beat South Carolina in women’s March Madness? These 3 Can! Coach Rob says Oh, yeah!!!

Reaction Score
I would say this characterization minimizes what is one of the top 3 defenses of all time both in design and personnel. The Gamecocks defense first team, top to bottom, is athletic, disciplined and well coached.

Defense travels and with the uncertainty that accompanies March Madness is paramount as indicated by the truism:. offense brings fans, rebounding brings wins, defenses wins championships.

USC is by far the best rebounding and defenses team in WBB, therefore the presumptive national champion.
Can’t wait for South Carolina to hang their “2023 presumptive National champion” banner next to their 2020 #1 banner this year.

Reaction Score
Yep ...a three point shooten /three guard team, averaging around 40% beyond the line...will pull their stoppers away from the basket....enough so that a pair of decent bigs can play "Holy Heck"...game OIver.....

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
The team that beats this years SC team (if possible), will likely be one that has the defensive inside strength to contain the SC bigs and rain down 3's while on offense. Stanford, while having a number of tall players, is not physically strong enough, similar to the other one and two seeds. The only team I see with the necessary combination is UConn. Not predicting a win but would love to see this rematch.
Not being physically strong enough? We were one of the only few teams to take South Carolina to overtime… so our bigs beg to differ. Our mental toughness and ability to keep a lead is the issue on our end, not our post players ‍♂️

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
9 teams actually.
Six games, six teams. If we take care of business, we won't need any help. We only have to win 6 games to win the championship. 2 games this weekend, two games next weekend, and two the weekend of the final four. That's 6 games. Where/how do you get 9 teams? :eek:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not being physically strong enough? We were one of the only few teams to take South Carolina to overtime… so our bigs beg to differ. Our mental toughness and ability to keep a lead is the issue on our end, not our post players ‍♂️
Love it!

Reaction Score
Six games, six teams. If we take care of business, we won't need any help. We only have to win 6 games to win the championship. 2 games this weekend, two games next weekend, and two the weekend of the final four. That's 6 games. Where/how do you get 9 teams? :eek:
5 teams we have to beat to play South Carolina 4 teams they have to beat to play us. 9 teams.

Reaction Score
I watched that game in '83. They rained down 3s... including one that fell just a little short into the waiting arms of Lorenzo Charles.

It was also the year Jim Valvano taught all of basketball a new way games might end, with a spate of tactical fouling.
That's right... Wittenberg couldn't miss...

Reaction Score
Can’t wait for South Carolina to hang their “2023 presumptive National champion” banner next to their 2020 #1 banner this year.
M6KQFFIWWBBE5JHBBIJAZGFQDU.jpg

Carnac

Reaction Score
5 teams we have to beat to play South Carolina 4 teams they have to beat to play us. 9 teams.
If we win six games, we win the NC. Whoever we play in the championship game is fine with me, be it SC or another team. I understand your equation now. But if it's 5 games for us, isn't it also 5 games for them? I understand they've already played 1 game. The total still equals 5. We can only control what's in front of us. If SC falls along the way, that's their problem.

Again.................if we win 6 games, WE WIN!!! That's all I care about. ;) We're not looking for or asking for any help. I think the majority of UConn fans would want us to win the NC against SC if they had a choice. I would!!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
There are two "USC's." We know that. Just like there are several programs that also share the same initials......like OSU (Oklahoma State Univ, Ohio State Univ, and Oregon State Univ), and SDSU (South Dakota State Univ and San Diego State Univ).

Outside of South Carolina, in the sports world, "USC" is presumed to refer to the University of Southern California. The rank n file news media also assumes this. If you doubt me, simply Google "USC", and see what comes up. ;) Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If we win six games, we win the NC. Whoever we play in the championship game is fine with me, be it SC or another team. I understand your equation now. But if it's 5 games for us, isn't it also 5 games for them? I understand they've already played 1 game. The total still equals 5. We can only control what's in front of us. If SC falls along the way, that's their problem.

Again.................if we win 6 games, WE WIN!!! That's all I care about. ;) We're not looking for or asking for any help. I think the majority of UConn fans would want us to win the NC against SC if they had a choice. I would!!!
You said there were five teams standing between us and playing South Carolina again. I said there were nine. South Carolina has already won their first round game so they have four more games.

Reaction Score
On any given day. One moment in time. Pick your cliche, but there are several teams who could beat SC on the right day for that team and the wrong day for SC. Stanford took SC to OT, and the Huskies (without key and now returned players) only lost by 4. Iowa could also pose a challenge if Clark goes for 40+ and Monica at least battles down low. You never know. That’s why they play the game!

Carnac

Reaction Score
You said there were five teams standing between us and playing South Carolina again. I said there were nine. South Carolina has already won their first round game so they have four more games.
True, but they started out with 5!! just like we are.

Reaction Score
There are two "USC's." We know that. Just like there are several programs that also share the same initials......like OSU (Oklahoma State Univ, Ohio State Univ, and Oregon State Univ), and SDSU (South Dakota State Univ and San Diego State Univ).

Outside of South Carolina, in the sports world, "USC" is presumed to refer to the University of Southern California. The rank n file news media also assumes this. If you doubt me, simply Google "USC", and see what comes up. ;) Have a nice day.
No doubt at all :)

Reaction Score

Calling Ohio State "OSU" is almost derogatory. "tOSU" is the preferred acronym. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Calling Ohio State "OSU" is almost derogatory. "tOSU" is the preferred acronym. :)
Noted, but may we "assume" that it's only derogatory to those affiliated (current and former students) with the university? To those of us on the outside looking in, that may not be the consensus, especially when no disrespect is meant. I've heard many alumni refer to their alma mater as THE Ohio State University during introductions at the beginning of NFL games on TV.

Reaction Score
The team that beats this years SC team (if possible), will likely be one that has the defensive inside strength to contain the SC bigs and rain down 3's while on offense. Stanford, while having a number of tall players, is not physically strong enough, similar to the other one and two seeds. The only team I see with the necessary combination is UConn. Not predicting a win but would love to see this rematch.
Which Uconn big is strong enough to handle Boston and Cardoso? Honest question cause I don't see it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Which Uconn big is strong enough to handle Boston and Cardoso? Honest question cause I don't see it.
I think UConn will have a problem as does every team guarding Boston and Cardoso. Let me ask how will Boston and Cardoso handle Dorka and Aaliyah? I dont think either have faced a Dorka and Aaliyah. Stanford has good bigs and Brink is really good but Stanford lost the game which many felt they shouldve won. It will be a great matchup if it happens however UConn has more outside shooters and IMO better guards while SC has more experienced depth inside. I feel UConns guards will be the difference.

Reaction Score
tOSU....lol I was born in Cleveland grew up in Ohio and I will give them this, those fans are rabid. It's amusing though it has to be "the". It does tend to get a little bit old and even obnoxious. I haven't found that to be the case with the fans of the women's program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom