Can any team ACTUALLY beat South Carolina in women’s March Madness? These 3 Can! Coach Rob says Oh, yeah!!! | The Boneyard

Can any team ACTUALLY beat South Carolina in women’s March Madness? These 3 Can! Coach Rob says Oh, yeah!!!

Reaction Score
The team that beats this years SC team (if possible), will likely be one that has the defensive inside strength to contain the SC bigs and rain down 3's while on offense. Stanford, while having a number of tall players, is not physically strong enough, similar to the other one and two seeds. The only team I see with the necessary combination is UConn. Not predicting a win but would love to see this rematch.

Reaction Score
I think that most people agree if we had Azzi when we played them that the possibility of winning would have been much greater. When the stars are aligned anything can happen. Just ask Arizona or Virginia.
Or NC State in '83... They "rained down 3s." Hmm... 40 years ago it was...

Reaction Score
My off the top observations tells me that SC wins games - particularly the close ones - on offensive rebounds. They get all these bodies under the basket and just outbody, outtall the opposition. It seems most teams come up with some secret gameplan to neutralize Boston and leave Saxton and Amihere and Cardoso unchecked.

Reaction Score
Now is the time for Uconn to show what it really is made of! We went through the most devastating year we have ever had and have survived. Now to business, the NC championship. SC probably doesn't, but should fear Uconn, especially after losing to them by only 4 points. As stated by Steelerone, we didn't have Ozzi and Caroline and now we do, so let's finish what we started and WIN No.12 and get it over with. It's our destiny. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
As I've said before.......Stanford and Indiana would both have a fair chance of beating South Carolina......I'd like to think UConn could too......

Reaction Score
My off the top observations tells me that SC wins games - particularly the close ones - on offensive rebounds. They get all these bodies under the basket and just outbody, outtall the opposition. It seems most teams come up with some secret gameplan to neutralize Boston and leave Saxton and Amihere and Cardoso unchecked.
I agree, they'd be better off letting Boston beat them in one on one coverage and instead pressuring guards/everyone else so they struggle to get it into her. Double and triple teaming Boston just gives wide open offensive rebounds to everyone else.

Reaction Score
Mr. Positivity is BACK!!!! I luv this fellow.
Coach Rob, it is a long A like in able. Azzi :);)

The obvious answer is Yes they CAN be beaten. The question is : Shall they be beaten!

Everyone, Uonn has proven over the years, can be beaten under the correct circumstances. That's why the tournament is played. To understand the unknown.
Another question, If not UConn who then MAY beat South Carolina??

Reaction Score
As well all know that on any given day, any team can be beaten. It is going to take a lot of luck in beating South Carolina. Any team that beats South Carolina will have to manage the game well, be efficient on offense, slow the game down to an ugly ball game level, limit turnovers, and be aggressive. Missouri when they beat South Carolina last year, they had the plan. They made shots and were aggressive. They kept South Carolina off balance. If a team can keep South Carolina off balance and keep them off the glass, they might have a chance.

Reaction Score
The obvious answer is Yes they CAN be beaten. The question is : Shall they be beaten!

Everyone, Uonn has proven over the years, can be beaten under the correct circumstances. That's why the tournament is played. To understand the unknown.
Another question, If not UConn who then MAY beat South Carolina??
I believe the only team that can beat South Carolina is South Carolina. They will have to have an off-night or injury issues for it to happen.

Reaction Score
I remember watching that 2013 game that a few posters mentioned. Every player was hitting from 3, even their post player. They did a crazy defensive scheme on Griner that involved being physical and also alternating coverage. The stars definitely aligned that day!

Reaction Score
Our ladies can do it. I'm talking about going all the way..there will need to be a total buy in by all players. Caroline can't be looking like a sour puss if she's not getting playing time and play her role. Aubrey needs to be in control and hit those open shots.

Reaction Score
On point. USC is a ...LOCK!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn has an inside and outside game. That opens up the floor. Lou Azzi and Caroline can create their own shot and can shoot at a very high percentage from deep. SCs advantage is their height which is how they can control the boards. With an open floor I think that favors UConn along with UConns ability to shoot at a very high percentage I think UConn wins it all this season and that could continue for the next 2 seasons for sure. There are alot of good teams that have one or two players they can depend on. UConn has 5 and with Azzi being one of them well thats all that needs to be said. We must stay healthy

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Now is the time for Uconn to show what it really is made of! We went through the most devastating year we have ever had and have survived. Now to business, the NC championship. SC probably doesn't, but should fear Uconn, especially after losing to them by only 4 points. As stated by Steelerone, we didn't have Ozzi and Caroline and now we do, so let's finish what we started and WIN No.12 and get it over with. It's our destiny. GO HUSKIES!!!!
I would love to witness that!!! THAT would be the upset of the tournament.....and break the hearts of Gamecock fans everywhere. THAT would really make my summer. It would have UConn Nation all over America dancing in the streets to Matha and the Vandellas' song......."Dancing in the street" All we need is music, sweet music. I'd be right there with them. :D 1964 was a very good year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We're putting the cart before the horse. We have to get there first. There are 5 teams between UConn and South Carolina. As we all know, there are a lot of potholes on the road to the final four. Large enough to seriously damage your front end or disable our conveyance. Right now, the only team we should be looking at and focusing on is VERMONT!!! They are the team that's in front of us and should command our full attention and respect.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
South Carolina can only be beat by a team that can match up with Boston. If you have to use your whole team to slow her down the rest are too good. South Carolina plays solid defense too so you have to be able to score with a player in your face. Problem is not too many teams can do both. UCONN could beat them, Iowa could beat them, and maybe Stanford.

Reaction Score
Or NC State in '83... They "rained down 3s." Hmm... 40 years ago it was...
I watched that game in '83. They rained down 3s... including one that fell just a little short into the waiting arms of Lorenzo Charles.

It was also the year Jim Valvano taught all of basketball a new way games might end, with a spate of tactical fouling.

Reaction Score
We're putting the cart before the horse. We have to get there first. There are 5 teams between UConn and South Carolina. As we all know, there are a lot of potholes on the road to the final four. Large enough to seriously damage your front end or disable our conveyance. Right now, the only team we should be looking at and focusing on is VERMONT!!! They are the team that's in front of us and should command our full attention and respect.
9 teams actually.

Reaction Score
South Carolina can only be beat by a team that can match up with Boston. If you have to use your whole team to slow her down the rest are too good. South Carolina plays solid defense too so you have to be able to score with a player in your face. Problem is not too many teams can do both. UCONN could beat them, Iowa could beat them, and maybe Stanford.
I would say this characterization minimizes what is one of the top 3 defenses of all time both in design and personnel. The Gamecocks defense first team, top to bottom, is athletic, disciplined and well coached.

Defense travels and with the uncertainty that accompanies March Madness is paramount as indicated by the truism:. offense brings fans, rebounding brings wins, defenses wins championships.

USC is by far the best rebounding and defenses team in WBB, therefore the presumptive national champion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom