OT: - Can’t throw a toga party so pet pics | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Can’t throw a toga party so pet pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Beau is clearly not a pure bred.. He is a cross between a Lab and a Bassett and this breed is apparently bred in the South as scent hounds/hunting dogs.. Never have seen this combination before..Esp in these parts..He lives his life through his nose.. If they're not good "hunters".. Their tags are taken off and they're let loose.. He was a found dog.."Low-rider".. Looks like a short legged Lab with longer ears....Has the Lab brain

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Great idea for a thread, NEforce.

Sadly, I find myself in that strange stage where I'm living in a dog less house for the first time I can remember. It's been a hell of a lot easier in many ways but so much less rewarding. Your post is giving me the itch to expand the family.

This is my first rescue ever, the day I got him and the next day when I got home from work. Somehow, he was able to stick that bottle nose dolphin snout through the cage just enough to grab my comforter.

zeus.jpg

Greatest dog ever! Let me know if anyone knows of a Dobie who needs a good home.

Reaction Score
IMG-0544.jpg

I tried to upload more pics but they were too big unfortunately. I'll keep trying though.

Introducing HURLEY! My wife is a Duke fan from way back, so in her head he's named after Bobby, but we all know that's named after our lord and savior Dan Hurley.

He's a lab/husky mix, much more husky for sure. He's 10 weeks and full of energy, still struggling with separation anxiety when me or my wife leave for any amount of time. He's a good boy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It's often muddy on the trails around here.
ciscomud.JPG

1/2 dumb friendly golden retriever, 1/2 snarling protective scary as hell great pyrenees. Poor guy was afraid of everything when we got him. It took us the better part of three years to turn him into a respectable citizen. Now the best trail dog I've ever had.

Reaction Score
It's often muddy on the trails around here.
View attachment 62446
1/2 dumb friendly golden retriever, 1/2 snarling protective scary as hell great pyrenees. Poor guy was afraid of everything when we got him. It took us the better part of three years to turn him into a respectable citizen. Now the best trail dog I've ever had.
Kudos to u for having the patience to wait for him to come around. We’ve had our rescue for 10 months. First 2 weeks he wouldn’t leave the den And would cower going out the front door for a month. Now he thinks he owns the place!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Kudos to u for having the patience to wait for him to come around. We’ve had our rescue for 10 months. First 2 weeks he wouldn’t leave the den And would cower going out the front door for a month. Now he thinks he owns the place!
The intentional breeding of this mix is just a bad idea. It's not a dog for an inexperienced owner. I'm sure it's adorable as a puppy and you think maybe you're just getting a larger, sturdier golden retriever. Nope. Other than shedding, he shares virtually no qualities of a standard breed golden (we had one of those for 10 years).

Our boy was chipped, so obviously someone thought he was a keeper. But he'd been in a shelter and two foster homes before he turned 3. We're guessing it's because of the ceaseless barking, which is the most infamous trait of the great pyrenees, which is bred to patrol livestock and be an independent thinker, so when he's outside, he "takes suggestions under consideration" instead of following commands. He's still pretty bad on barking, but much better than when we got him. He terrified our next-door neighbors for the better part of two years, so we appreciate their patience.

Didn't know how to play, at all, when he moved in. Will not play with a ball or frisbee to this day. Doesn't know how to play with other dogs. Did learn how to play tug, but only with a stuffed chicken toy (he now has three) as he ignores all other toys. He'd snarl at other dogs and sometimes people when we walked. Was nearly impossible to groom as he'd snap constantly. We actually went to a dog psychologist at one point and attended classes to deal with fear. The only thing he reliably enjoyed doing was getting in the car, any car. When we visited his foster family for an evaluation, he jumped in our car when we were getting a leash, and wouldn't leave. So we just left with him, lol.

Now he ignores other dogs and people when we're on walks and I can safely let him off-leash on trails. Much better at following commands. He trusts us completely. And if there's a dog equivalent of finishing each other sentences, we're pretty much there. Wouldn't trade him for anything.

Reaction Score
Beau is clearly not a pure bred.. He is a cross between a Lab and a Bassett and this breed is apparently bred in the South as scent hounds/hunting dogs.. Never have seen this combination before..Esp in these parts..He lives his life through his nose.. If they're not good "hunters".. Their tags are taken off and they're let loose.. He was a found dog.."Low-rider".. Looks like a short legged Lab with longer ears....Has the Lab brain
I hate hearing stories like that. My dog is a half Vizsla half lab that was found on the street somewhere in the south. Awesome dog, a little protective when it comes to having any men in the house and barks at every bicycle that goes by. Very smart and can sniff out a bone 100 yards away. I wonder if some kids on bikes used to give him a hard time when he was a stray.

Reaction Score
I hate hearing stories like that. My dog is a half Vizsla half lab that was found on the street somewhere in the south. Awesome dog, a little protective when it comes to having any men in the house and barks at every bicycle that goes by. Very smart and can sniff out a bone 100 yards away. I wonder if some kids on bikes used to give him a hard time when he was a stray.
The way I look at it.. You are providing your dog with a great home environment.. He knows he's secure and part of a pack (you and your family).. And you have provided him with a quality of life that he would never have received otherwise.. Most rescues have "baggage".. Some worse than others.. Probably believes he's protecting his pack(you) when barking.. Well done for taking him in..

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My dog protects our house from the garbage men who steal our garbage until she scares them off and the UPS and FedEx guys who actually get all the way to the porch before she scares them off.

Reaction Score
The way I look at it.. You are providing your dog with a great home environment.. He knows he's secure and part of a pack (you and your family).. And you have provided him with a quality of life that he would never have received otherwise.. Most rescues have "baggage".. Some worse than others.. Probably believes he's protecting his pack(you) when barking.. Well done for taking him in..
He is a great dog. He’s trained better than most dogs that I’ve seen raised since they were puppies. Never had an accident indoors, barks and stands by the door when he needs a walk and he couldn’t care less about other dogs. If you point to his bed he will always begrudgingly lay down in it but not after moaning and a bark first.

Honestly the only thing I worry about is in close quarters next to another male person. He will occasionally bark or growl unless you tell him no first. We were very lucky to get such a great dog.

Reaction Score
He is a great dog. He’s trained better than most dogs that I’ve seen raised since they were puppies. Never had an accident indoors, barks and stands by the door when he needs a walk and he couldn’t care less about other dogs. If you point to his bed he will always begrudgingly lay down in it but not after moaning and a bark first.

Honestly the only thing I worry about is in close quarters next to another male person. He will occasionally bark or growl unless you tell him no first. We were very lucky to get such a great dog.
Dogs are such a trip. I have had many over the years but none for about 7. I had a pit that used to act like he was shivering in the winter if I looked out the window so I would bring him in.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Honestly the only thing I worry about is in close quarters next to another male person.
My dog growing up was like this. Sweetest dog around women, children other dogs, but if a man came to door he would would be all bristle and fang until told to sit, which he would do, quietly, never taking his eyes off the intruder.

Reaction Score
The intentional breeding of this mix is just a bad idea. It's not a dog for an inexperienced owner. I'm sure it's adorable as a puppy and you think maybe you're just getting a larger, sturdier golden retriever. Nope. Other than shedding, he shares virtually no qualities of a standard breed golden (we had one of those for 10 years).

Our boy was chipped, so obviously someone thought he was a keeper. But he'd been in a shelter and two foster homes before he turned 3. We're guessing it's because of the ceaseless barking, which is the most infamous trait of the great pyrenees, which is bred to patrol livestock and be an independent thinker, so when he's outside, he "takes suggestions under consideration" instead of following commands. He's still pretty bad on barking, but much better than when we got him. He terrified our next-door neighbors for the better part of two years, so we appreciate their patience.

Didn't know how to play, at all, when he moved in. Will not play with a ball or frisbee to this day. Doesn't know how to play with other dogs. Did learn how to play tug, but only with a stuffed chicken toy (he now has three) as he ignores all other toys. He'd snarl at other dogs and sometimes people when we walked. Was nearly impossible to groom as he'd snap constantly. We actually went to a dog psychologist at one point and attended classes to deal with fear. The only thing he reliably enjoyed doing was getting in the car, any car. When we visited his foster family for an evaluation, he jumped in our car when we were getting a leash, and wouldn't leave. So we just left with him, lol.

Now he ignores other dogs and people when we're on walks and I can safely let him off-leash on trails. Much better at following commands. He trusts us completely. And if there's a dog equivalent of finishing each other sentences, we're pretty much there. Wouldn't trade him for anything.

Are Great Pyrenees's tough to handle? I don't know much about the breed but a friend of ours works with a foster service in the area and was trying to find a home for an adult a few months ago. We almost took it without doing much research because my kids fell in love with the picture.

Reaction Score
Are Great Pyrenees's tough to handle? I don't know much about the breed but a friend of ours works with a foster service in the area and was trying to find a home for an adult a few months ago. We almost took it without doing much research because my kids fell in love with the picture.

They're known for being one of the most difficult dogs to raise, especially as rescues (who are usually rescues because... they were misbehaved). They can be stubborn, challenging to train, bark incessantly, and can have real issues if they're not socialized well. And put that all in a 130lb package. Definitely not a dog for a first time owner.

Reaction Score
Snowflake, from post #44, is one of 10 goats that I have on the property as well as 4 rescued dogs and 5 cats that either wandered onto or came with the house... not sure which. There is also chickens, Guinea Fowl and quail. Quite the zoo for sure. Wouldn't have it any other way.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We didn't really do significant research until after we took him in. The barking is probably the worst. There were times we were amazed the dog still had a larynx. They are very territorial. One thing we noticed early on was him patrolling the fence back and forth at dusk every night, checking for potential threats. He will bark at stuff several houses away. Additionally, pyrs are bred to be independent and work alone in large fields, thus "taking suggestions" instead of obeying commands. So I'd say they're a lot of work compared to a golden or lab.. We don't know how ours was socialized as a puppy, so maybe raising one from a pup makes it easier, but being consistent and firm for as long as takes will provide positive results and better behavior even from a grown pyr.

Oh, and pure pyrs are huge (110-125lbs) and shed all year, requiring a lot of grooming.

Reaction Score
Snowflake, from post #44, is one of 10 goats that I have on the property as well as 4 rescued dogs and 5 cats that either wandered onto or came with the house... not sure which. There is also chickens, Guinea Fowl and quail. Quite the zoo for sure. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Wow. In addition to Snowflake what is everyone else's name (goats, dogs, cats)? Are any of the birds named?

Reaction Score
Wow. In addition to Snowflake what is everyone else's name (goats, dogs, cats)? Are any of the birds named?
Goats are...Meeka, Nyla, Sapphire, Sahran, Allie, Star, Phen, Tay, Lucky and Snowflake.
Dogs are...Chido, Riley, Gracie and Brutus.
Cats are...Sophie, Willow, Mama, Ozzie and Lil.
Only the Rooster has a name...Papa. He's a tough old bird, about 8 yrs old.
I'll try to get a group shot of the goats and post it.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Goats are...Meeka, Nyla, Sapphire, Sahran, Allie, Star, Phen, Tay, Lucky and Snowflake.
Dogs are...Chido, Riley, Gracie and Brutus.
Cats are...Sophie, Willow, Mama, Ozzie and Lil.
Only the Rooster has a name...Papa. He's a tough old bird, about 8 yrs old.
I'll try to get a group shot of the goats and post it.

Reaction Score
They're known for being one of the most difficult dogs to raise, especially as rescues (who are usually rescues because... they were misbehaved). They can be stubborn, challenging to train, bark incessantly, and can have real issues if they're not socialized well. And put that all in a 130lb package. Definitely not a dog for a first time owner.

We have an English bulldog who's got the stubborn thing down pretty well. Not sure I'd want to have to deal with two. Great looking dogs though.

Reaction Score
Based on the prior poster, sounds like they can be tough...my friend had one and he was the sweetest dog..But they had him from a pup so no trauma...sometimes dogs get over it, sometime they never do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom