Can’t Sugarcoat This! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Can’t Sugarcoat This!

Reaction Score
the-end-is-near.jpg

Reaction Score
Is there room for a middle ground between the sky falling and everything being great? I'm excited about this team, they are a lot of fun to watch. Although the lack of size and ND's loaded roster keeps them from being an NC favorite, they're definitely a contender.

But I would be shocked if next year isn't a big step back. I don't see how any combination of recruits yet to be landed and player development will come close to replacing KLS and Napheesa. Then next year's recruiting will be an enormous key to the future of the program. I'm as enamored of Geno's coaching ability as anyone, but no one can win without talent.
Not much middle ground, I fear. If we get no one else from the 2019 recruiting class, the table will start to tilt down for UCONN. It is possible that next year Dangerfield will be first team AA, that Meg, Williams and ONO will be trending toward becoming dominating players, and it remains a mystery as to who will be players 5, 6 and & 7? The Ossining freshman is clearly not of the same caliber as Meg, Williams or ONO and, therefore, likely will not even start. So who does? Now for the morality play; I think we miss out when we project the future. There are no guarantees about anything. We have a fun team to watch this year, and UCONN has enough talent to upset the world. Next year will be harder if no one comes to UCONN. But let's wait and see. We have no choice, after all.

Reaction Score
Not much middle ground, I fear. If we get no one else from the 2019 recruiting class, the table will start to tilt down for UCONN. It is possible that next year Dangerfield will be first team AA, that Meg, Williams and ONO will be trending toward becoming dominating players, and it remains a mystery as to who will be players 5, 6 and & 7? The Ossining freshman is clearly not of the same caliber as Meg, Williams or ONO and, therefore, likely will not even start. So who does? Now for the morality play; I think we miss out when we project the future. There are no guarantees about anything. We have a fun team to watch this year, and UCONN has enough talent to upset the world. Next year will be harder if no one comes to UCONN. But let's wait and see. We have no choice, after all.
"The Ossining freshman is clearly not of the same caliber as Meg, Williams, or ONO and therefore likely will not even start." Are you sure of this? How many times have you seen her play?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think you may be sleeping on Aubrey just a bit. If we get no one else for 2019 I don't see who on the current UCONN roster would keep her from starting at SF.

Reaction Score
I think you may be sleeping on Aubrey just a bit. If we get no one else for 2019 I don't see who on the current UCONN roster would keep her from starting at SF.

I hope that isn't the case.................that would be a sad state of affairs compared to recent years................

Reaction Score
I meant someone like Stokes who was a rebounder-shot blocker-defender who wasn't a scorer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I hope that isn't the case.......that would be a sad state of affairs compared to recent years......
Under that scenario the glass will be half full, not empty. There will be nothing sad about UCONN rolling out ONO, Megan, CW, Crystal & Aubrey as the starting 5. No need to compare it to other years just next year and only 1 team ( Baylor) could roll out a better starting 5 IMO.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geez, the girl is still in high school and you’re already deciding what kind of college player she’ll be.

Some of you people are unbelievable. I think I’ll head over to the football board where they can see real problems rather than have to manufacture them

Reaction Score
I think that the class 2 yrs ago of 4 guards ??? Really set the program back.

Reaction Score
Under that scenario the glass will be half full, not empty. There will be nothing sad about UCONN rolling out ONO, Megan, CW, Crystal & Aubrey as the starting 5. No need to compare it to other years just next year and only 1 team ( Baylor) could roll out a better starting 5 IMO.

I'm not going down that road yet................I would much prefer Jones in that forward spot with AG coming off the bench............

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Do people not realize that some kids look at three #1 ranked players on the roster and think “I’d rather start my own legacy somewhere else”? Recruiting has always gone in cycles.

Remember the class of Swin, Sue, Tamika, Asjha, and Kiersten? The next class consists of Kennitra Johnson. After the huge class of Diana, Morgan Valley, Maria Colon, Ashley Battle, and Jess Moore, Geno signed only Ashley Valley. After signing Maya and Lorin Dixon, Geno did get Tiffany, Caroline Doty, EDD, and Heather Buck but that roster scared off recruits the following year. The class consisted of “only” Kelly Faris (who turned out OK).

This freaking out because of recruiting is just crazy. Take a look at the UConn archives and remind yourselves we’ve been here before and managed to survive.

Reaction Score

I agree, but I think that speaks more about just how thin UConn's roster will be.

Reaction Score
Geez, the girl is still in high school and you’re already deciding what kind of college player she’ll be.

Some of you people are unbelievable. I think I’ll head over to the football board where they can see real problems rather than have to manufacture them
We are always in a panic, Nan.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Do people not realize that some kids look at three #1 ranked players on the roster and think “I’d rather start my own legacy somewhere else”? Recruiting has always gone in cycles.

Remember the class of Swin, Sue, Tamika, Asjha, and Kiersten? The next class consists of Kennitra Johnson. After the huge class of Diana, Morgan Valley, Maria Colon, Ashley Battle, and Jess Moore, Geno signed only Ashley Valley. After signing Maya and Lorin Dixon, Geno did get Tiffany, Caroline Doty, EDD, and Heather Buck but that roster scared off recruits the following year. The class consisted of “only” Kelly Faris (who turned out OK).

This freaking out because of recruiting is just crazy. Take a look at the UConn archives and remind yourselves we’ve been here before and managed to survive.

I’m not saying it’s over because of Boston.

It’s probsbly over to be a 6 titles in 10 years type run as the gap is getting smaller each year.

And giving away 2 titles to vastly inferior teams the past 2 years just shows it.

Or maybe it’s just the nature of a 1 and done tournament where UConn likes beats both teams in 5 games if they were like other payoff formats.

the Q

Reaction Score
Vastly inferior? I think you need to give those teams and coaches a bit more credit than that.

And yes, the nature of one and done tournaments can allow for the fickle finger of fate to have a pretty big impact on results.

Neither of those teams were remotely close to as talented.

They were much better than both. And found ways to lose. That’s the real concern. When they’re so much more talented, and then have down recruiting going on....it’s a little worrying imo.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I've written this same thing a few times over the past few years. It just doesn't seem to sink into their heads.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Neither of those teams were remotely close to as talented.

They were much better than both. And found ways to lose. That’s the real concern. When they’re so much more talented, and then have down recruiting going on....it’s a little worrying imo.
Notre Dame was vastly inferior to UConn? The Notre Dame in Indiana, right? Just checking.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame was vastly inferior to UConn? The Notre Dame in Indiana, right? Just checking.
LOL. You can not make it up Nan.
Many on this board need to watch the men's hoop team see how the real world works.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yup.

And the data backs it up.

This May Be The Best UConn Team Ever
Oh, well, there are statistics. I guess they should have just given UConn the trophy in November last year.

Heaven forbid someone has a bad game, or an injury/illness, or that the opponent plays some spectacular ball, or a ref makes bad calls, or any of a million other intangibles that exist in sports. We should just look at the stats to determine who the winner is.

Sometimes I feel like I fell down the rabbit hole here.

the Q

Reaction Score
Oh, well, there are statistics. I guess they should have just given UConn the trophy in November last year.

Heaven forbid someone has a bad game, or an injury/illness, or that the opponent plays some spectacular ball, or a ref makes bad calls, or any of a million other intangibles that exist in sports. We should just look at the stats to determine who the winner is.

Sometimes I feel like I fell down the rabbit hole here.

No one said that. Upsets happen. Look at 2013 Baylor.

But that doesn’t mean they didn’t blow it and waste the opportunity losing to a team they had no business losing to.

It took a lot going wrong for UConn to lose to both teams, but so far it doesn’t seem like the same level of reinforcements are coming in and the gap is closing. It’s not there yet, but it’s coming. Jones would help, but it’s still some small classes. And when depths been an issue, it’s a concern.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom