Can’t Sugarcoat This! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can’t Sugarcoat This!

Reaction Score
Of course people can wonder what Geno said. It’s an entirely appropriate topic for a fan discussion board.
So where is the proof he said anything of the sort. I mean if we are going to make up stuff why stop with Geno's retirement. I mean after all it is a fan discussion board... why talk about actual real things connected to the game and the team. Why not make stuff up.....
How nice it is that Geno is golfing in Florida... Or maybe he is moving back to Italy to run for President..

Reaction Score
Talk about overdramatizing. Look. UCONN currently have 2 of the top 5 high school players in county on the roster from last year. And while losing recruits hurts a fan bases feelings I'm not sure all the angst qualifies here. I think Boston's Hoopgurlz rating was inflated by the U17 ratings. Drowned out in all the Samantha Brunelle hysteria is the fact that all-star teams aren't always the true measure of college success. There are players who didn't make that team that will be better players in college than some who did.
We don't know where Jones will go.

And what will the doom-sayers say if we win the NC this year, which is quite possible.
Talk about overdramatizing. Look. UCONN currently have 2 of the top 5 high school players in county on the roster from last year. And while losing recruits hurts a fan bases feelings I'm not sure all the angst qualifies here. I think Boston's Hoopgurlz rating was inflated by the U17 ratings. Drowned out in all the Samantha Brunelle hysteria is the fact that all-star teams aren't always the true measure of college success. There are players who didn't make that team that will be better players in college than some who did. The reality is you can win the WBB championship without going to UCONN. You can also get to the WNBA. Play in better conferences. And, in a couple of cases, get a more valued degree while playing for HOF coaches. That's new reality. There's real competition now but UCONN is still an alpha dog.

The reality is you can win the WBB championship without going to UCONN. You can also get to the WNBA. Play in better conferences. And, in a couple of cases, get a more valued degree while playing for HOF coaches. That's new reality. There's real competition now but UCONN is still an alpha dog.

Reaction Score
It does not bother me so much that the top recruits are not coming here. It bothers me that Geno has become more finicky about choosing recruits than a brahmin is about choosing his food. (I posted these words about a year or two ago) Where are the Jessica Moores and Stephanie Dolsons? Why can't we get any post in the 20-60 range?

Reaction Score
No recruits in the top 30. NC and KLS will graduate... no height compared to their competition.( Jones will go to Stanford)...) How can this happen to a school and coach with such a stellar reputation?? Something is up! You can try to rationalize this as much as you want. Truth is ... it is an ominous sign. I love UConn Women’s basketball and will continue to follow and support them regardless of the future. .
Humorous post. Geno grew up in a tough area of Norristown, PA where you had to be creative to get by. Suspect UConn will be the #1 transfer destination. Not the preferred approach but we have gotten Top 10 WNBA draft choices from this route before.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="I believe the prospect of Geno and Chris Dailey retiring in the near future and Marissa M leaving for Boston may be something that figures in to the top recruits decisions.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with this more than anything. IMO Geno needs to have a 4-year plan on his retirement, so that his replacement will already be on staff (may already be there), so that when he does retire the kids he recruited will be familiar with the new coach and it won't be a shock to the system.

College sports are entering into the area of immediate transfers. I believe I read somewhere when the NCAA is loosening up on transfers as to being able to play immediately and then throw in the graduate transfers, you have a free agency type of atmosphere. I can see it as being good for the kids, probably not good for the game. Will UConn get some of these transfers?...Sure. He may already know of 1 or 2 for next year that we are not privy to. This makes recruiting less important.

Reaction Score
Maybe the players read that Geno might have said something about retiring to Boston so they laid off the gas in tonights game..... Maybe we should check with the people on here that know everything. So tell us oh wise ones who had so much to say about Boston not coming.;... what happened tonight?>

Reaction Score
Maybe the players read that Geno might have said something about retiring to Boston so they laid off the gas in tonights game..... Maybe we should check with the people on here that know everything. So tell us oh wise ones who had so much to say about Boston not coming.;... what happened tonight?>

Your still on your soapbox I see.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They won.

Reaction Score
I think you guys struck gold with sleeper Aubrey Griffin. If Geno let’s her play and make some mistakes she’ll be awesome by middle of her soph year. One thing that is not good for UConn among players is if his tight 6 to 7 player rotation continues. Spread some minutes around more often. His rant last year about his bench was bad optics despite being true. Geno will always keep it real though ...always.
Back to Griffin. Her ranking mirrors Nurse who played like a top 10 player.
Hope you are right. I admit to a prejudice against players from Ossining HS becoming great. Soniya was world class in HS and not much of anything at UCONN until her senior year. At which point, with a great bunch of teammates, she was better than usual. Good enough, actually, to make a WNBA team. The Espinoza woman also had Ossining HS connections, and she bolted to Mississippi (?). So I am better off expecting little and being pleasantly surprised.

Reaction Score
So where is the proof he said anything of the sort. I mean if we are going to make up stuff why stop with Geno's retirement. I mean after all it is a fan discussion board... why talk about actual real things connected to the game and the team. Why not make stuff up.....
How nice it is that Geno is golfing in Florida... Or maybe he is moving back to Italy to run for President..

I don't think that even Geno could straighten out the Italian economy.............:rolleyes:.

Reaction Score
I really suspect that Geno is not happy about the changing demographics in recruiting and the type of players coming out of high school. Is he able to adjust and run a successful program under these new circumstances-- certainly. The real question is if he really wants to.?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Some of you people need to learn how to debate a topic without getting nasty because someone chooses a viewpoint you don’t like. Debate is what makes the site fun.
I would offer a revision to your comment- “intelligent debate with logically thought facts to support your theory in a positive manner” vs. some of the denigration that has cropped up recently.
Playing for Nick Saban or Mike Krzyzewski is not picnic either nor is a guarantee of winning a title but I will take Geno’s current active streak of 11 Final Fours and his current 3 #1 HS ranked players as a sign he still is pretty on top of it. I definitely think this years team is a Top 2/3 team and will make the Final Four again.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@jonack was not interested in having a debate, dialogue or a real conversation. He or she was more interested in provoking and then acting offended when others clap back. As if the title of the thread was not bad enough, he or she sharpened the stick with this statement "Jones will go to Stanford" before poking us in the eye with this one: "You can try to rationalize this as much as you want."

Here is a great example of how to start a real debate, or meaningful conversation that was buried in this unnecessarily charged thread.
We can follow @CajunHusky lead and dialogue about this or we can continue to sharpen sticks before going blind or being shut down by the mods.

Reaction Score
Hope you are right. I admit to a prejudice against players from Ossining HS becoming great. Soniya was world class in HS and not much of anything at UCONN until her senior year. At which point, with a great bunch of teammates, she was better than usual. Good enough, actually, to make a WNBA team. The Espinoza woman also had Ossining HS connections, and she bolted to Mississippi (?). So I am better off expecting little and being pleasantly surprised.

is there something in the water in Ossining? Every kid is different, I simply don't see how a recruit's location or high school program will make or break their career............do you think Geo and Co could have faulty judgement about Ossining players three straight times?

Reaction Score

I'm not sure about her freshman year but sophomore and junior year at Blair and senior year at Ossining..........and if you believe in the Blair/Ossining vodoo then Geno better forget about Olivia Miles who's at Blair right now...........

Reaction Score
They won.
You are correct they did win. Of course after the game Geno addressed his players and told them he was not retiring or going anywhere contrary to what people on the Boneyard have been saying, via the Boston thread. Knowing their coach was not going anywhere helped them come out and beat Purdue in traditional UCONN fashion. See how dangerous it is to speculate?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You are correct they did win. Of course after the game Geno addressed his players and told them he was not retiring or going anywhere contrary to what people on the Boneyard have been saying, via the Boston thread. Knowing their coach was not going anywhere helped them come out and beat Purdue in traditional UCONN fashion. See how dangerous it is to speculate?
You need to start meditating or something.

Reaction Score
Is there room for a middle ground between the sky falling and everything being great? I'm excited about this team, they are a lot of fun to watch. Although the lack of size and ND's loaded roster keeps them from being an NC favorite, they're definitely a contender.

But I would be shocked if next year isn't a big step back. I don't see how any combination of recruits yet to be landed and player development will come close to replacing KLS and Napheesa. Then next year's recruiting will be an enormous key to the future of the program. I'm as enamored of Geno's coaching ability as anyone, but no one can win without talent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom