Camara? UConn pursuing? | The Boneyard

Camara? UConn pursuing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have heard rumblings on the transfer thread that UConn might be taking a look at Batouly Camara from Kentucky. I know UConn was recruiting her out of high school, but giving the transfer of Stevens I was surprised to hear the UConn might be pursuing her as well.

Any info on this?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think they would certainly take a listen if she was interested - she said she was waiting until after exams (last week) before starting to look at her options for a new school and there has been no information about any schools connected with her yet. She has just finished her freshman year which ended on a pretty positive trend, and she represents a size and strength combo that should be attractive to a fair number of schools outside the SEC. She has three years of eligibility left which is more attractive than two or one. She is from the NE so if being closer to home factors in Maryland to Boston likely would be in the wheelhouse.

That said - there has been not a whisper that I have seen on social media so it is just a black hole at this point.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Camara to UCONN? Maybe but not likely because then you would have two PFs (Camara & Stevens) sitting out at the same time.

Reaction Score
UConn may not be "pursuing" transfers, but we have two on the roster now. So, clearly, UConn has on aversion to top quality transfers.

Prior to Stevens being picked up by Uconn there was many who posted thoughts that UConn does not TAKE Transfers. But they had Butler. Now with another possible pick up it appears Uconn won't pursue transfers. I am certain Geno and staff WON't contact a player of another team saying: If you transfer we have a great spot for you. To me that is pursuing. Chris (CD) and Geno have too much integrity to do that!!

It has been proven that Uconn will take transfers---that's a myth that's been put to bed!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Who is she? What's her worth? Skill level and ranked. Help. I'm in the dark.
From her Kentucky Bio (LINK)

"Rated as the No. 2 power forward by All-Star Girls Report coming out of high school and the ninth-best player in the country by ESPN.com ... Averaged 12.5 points and 12.0 rebounds per game in helping lead Blair Academy to a 19-3 finish ... Was named 2014 All-Mid-Atlantic Prep League First Team and was second-team NJ Prep A All-State selection ... Earned a spot on the 2014 USA Basketball Women’s U18 National Team trials roster ... In her three-year prep career, she helped the Buccaneers to three Mid- Atlantic Prep League Championships and a combined 62-8 record."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FWIW and my $.02... I'd love to end up having Camara transfer to UCONN. Her game has zero to do with Stevens - they couldn't be more different as far as post players go. Stevens is 6'6" and can do things at that height no one else can, like Stewie. Camara is 6'2" and built like a tank. She has a solid mid range game and is equally adept at using both hands to score, but I could easily see both on the court together - much like Tuck and Stewie could exist on the floor at the same time.

To me, Camara would seem to be a great replacement for Boykin. And given how thin UCONN is in the post (Butler has 2 years left, Stevens will have 2 years after sitting out, and Williams is undersized), any post help would be great.

Reaction Score
FWIW and my $.02... I'd love to end up having Camara transfer to UCONN. Her game has zero to do with Stevens - they couldn't be more different as far as post players go. Stevens is 6'6" and can do things at that height no one else can, like Stewie. Camara is 6'2" and built like a tank. She has a solid mid range game and is equally adept at using both hands to score, but I could easily see both on the court together - much like Tuck and Stewie could exist on the floor at the same time.

To me, Camara would seem to be a great replacement for Boykin. And given how thin UCONN is in the post (Butler has 2 years left, Stevens will have 2 years after sitting out, and Williams is undersized), any post help would be great.

That isn't small change!! Morgan, maybe wasnt exactly built like a tank, but she rolled over the competition--If Camara can do all they (here in) say--wouldn't it be great to have our Golden 3 back (with different names) Crystal, Camara, Stevens
to replicate (can never replace) Moriah, Morgan, Stewie?????

Reaction Score
I would love Camara to join the pack. I remember watching lots of Blair Academy games to see Edwards and AEH and really liking Camara's game. She reminded me a lot of Asjha Jones. She has a pretty nice touch for a post, can get down low and mix it up with her strong frame. While I'd say Asjha has a better jump shot, I think Camara is a more gifted rebounder. Camara and Gabby would be very difficult to keep off the glass for other teams. She's also an extremely well spoken young woman.

Reaction Score
I doubt this. Unless Geno is pretty confident that UConn is no longer in the running for any of the HS kids.

The 2017-18 team already has 4 Sr / 3 Jr / 3 So / 2 Fr.
Adding another transfer would put the roster at 13 even without more HS commits.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Interesting that not a shred of evidence has been presented that documents any UCONN interest for pursuance.

Reaction Score
It is my understanding that when it is announced, by a school, that a player has decided to transfer, the player must get permission from the head coach to contact a school. Representatives (coaches, ADs, ect.) may NOT contact the transferring player first. Contact has to be initiated by the player. So, unless they're breaking NCAA rules, no coach, not Geno, Muffett, Dawn, or any other coach pursues transferring players.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Isn't the core issue what happens when they aren't "sitting out"?

Stevens can play almost any position

I should have been more specific. Stevens & Camara would be sitting out a full Season (16-17) at the same time to meet NCAA transfer requirements. Stevens will play 4 (PF) & 5 (C) at UCONN. Given the rest of the UCONN roster it would be silly to play her anywhere else. See @CoachBill post on how Stevens will be used in the UCONN offense.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
See @CoachBill post on how Stevens will be used in the UCONN offense.

CoachBill appears to be quite knowledgeable. I listen to a "higher authority" on the use of Connecticut players. Would Camara see herself in competition with Stevens at UConn? I suspect so. I also suspect that Geno would be offering no assurances to this potential transfer or anyone else.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is my understanding that when it is announced, by a school, that a player has decided to transfer, the player must get permission from the head coach to contact a school. Representatives (coaches, ADs, ect.) may NOT contact the transferring player first. Contact has to be initiated by the player. So, unless they're breaking NCAA rules, no coach, not Geno, Muffett, Dawn, or any other coach pursues transferring players.
All release are not created equal. There is such a thing as an "unconditional" relase-as in we don't care where you go. In conferences transfers are discouraged because of the additional year of having to sit. You are correct in that the rule prohibits contact from school to player until the player is officially granted a release. The practice is far different from the rule and contact is often made both ways via networks like AAU coaches etc.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Interesting that not a shred of evidence has been presented that documents any UCONN interest for pursuance.

Uh, Oh...Kib alert Kib alert Kib alert! Or maybe not. " the carrying out or pursuing of an action, plan, etc" BUT, more to the point, when has any discussion of potential players required one shred of proof to justify discussion, ad nausem, of the player or their potential, particularly in the "off season". You are holding us to a cruel standard Ozzie! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom