Camara? UConn pursuing? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Camara? UConn pursuing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some in conference transfers are only a one year sit out. Depends on the conference. ACC is two year. I don't know what AAC is. And yes you're right about the unconditional releases.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Camara and Stevens are both great players. I think they'd help any team.

CoachBill appears to be quite knowledgeable. I listen to a "higher authority" on the use of Connecticut players. Would Camara see herself in competition with Stevens at UConn? I suspect so. I also suspect that Geno would be offering no assurances to this potential transfer or anyone else.
The significant talent gap between the two players is & must be a consideration. Stevens is a POY candidate=No brainer for UCONN and everyone. Camara projects to be a role player and a different roster consideration must be done. Is she better than what I currently have? Is her signing going to ruin my chances of signing a player in the 2018 or beyond class like Charli Collier or Danielle Cosgrove.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Camara projects to be a role player

I was not clear I guess. Given the hypothesis about whether Camara would be a valuable transfer to UConn, I was pursuing whether she would find UConn attractive given not only Stevens but players. Camara does not see herself as a role player and is unlikely to be interested in any team which would evaluate her as such.

Reaction Score
From her Kentucky Bio (LINK)

"Rated as the No. 2 power forward by All-Star Girls Report coming out of high school and the ninth-best player in the country by ESPN.com ... Averaged 12.5 points and 12.0 rebounds per game in helping lead Blair Academy to a 19-3 finish ... Was named 2014 All-Mid-Atlantic Prep League First Team and was second-team NJ Prep A All-State selection ... Earned a spot on the 2014 USA Basketball Women’s U18 National Team trials roster ... In her three-year prep career, she helped the Buccaneers to three Mid- Atlantic Prep League Championships and a combined 62-8 record."

Thanks a lot Fightin Choke.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was not clear I guess. Given the hypothesis about whether Camara would be a valuable transfer to UConn, I was pursuing whether she would find UConn attractive given not only Stevens but players. Camara does not see herself as a role player and is unlikely to be interested in any team which would evaluate her as such.
Excellent point. Camara started 14 of 33 games for Kentucky and averaged 18.3 Minutes as a Freshmen yet still decided to transfer. With Gabby, Napheesa, Natalie, Azura & Kyla on the UCONN roster I don't see her averaging close to those numbers.

Reaction Score
That isn't small change!! Morgan, maybe wasnt exactly built like a tank, but she rolled over the competition--If Camara can do all they (here in) say--wouldn't it be great to have our Golden 3 back (with different names) Crystal, Camara, Stevens
to replicate (can never replace) Moriah, Morgan, Stewie?????

BWAY: Now i LOVE the way you think.

Reaction Score
Now that we are in our 70's my wife is built like a tank.Would i be complimenting her if i told her?Maybe i'd better hold off on that one.

PAC: Now YOU....that's a different story. I'm afraid you are in for a looooonnnngggg night, my friend.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I doubt a coach of any team would see Camara as a 'role player' - she was the second rated forward and #9 overall in her class, she did not start for the first half of the season as a freshman (sound familiar) but started the last third of the KY season and her production and minutes increased significantly - her first start was against SC and she held her own against the best front court the SEC has to offer. Azura is a year older and probably had higher upside, but Camara is a very good player who is likely to bring a lot to which ever team she joins.

If she were to come to Uconn she would in her first year on the court be sharing the 'size positions on the court with Butler and Stevens - having three low post players on a team is not 'crowded'. It wasn't when it was Kiah, Breanna, and Morgan. In her second year there would be Stevens, Camara and hopefully a freshman or two. I don't see it producing a log jam. Gabby if she wants to succeed as a pro is going to need to continue expanding her game away from the basket, as will Napheesa. Neither is going to be primarily a low post presence at the next level, so this should not be causing issues with current players. The player that would be most impacted on next years roster is Irwin and we have yet to see how her skills translate on the court at Uconn.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
We all appreciate your pursuance of perfection regarding clarity of expression.

I'd love to see Camara at UConn. I like having some beef available to counter beef if needed. Plus I'm perpetually worried about not having enough height.

It might be better to get Walker and Coombs, though, and hope for a big later.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
UConn may not be "pursuing" transfers, but we have two on the roster now. So, clearly, UConn has on aversion to top quality transfers.

Honest question. Did you mean no aversion - to top quality transfers like Nat and Azure?

Reaction Score
We all appreciate your pursuance of perfection regarding clarity of expression.

I'd love to see Camara at UConn. I like having some beef available to counter beef if needed. Plus I'm perpetually worried about not having enough height.

It might be better to get Walker and Coombs, though, and hope for a big later.

I agree!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I doubt a coach of any team would see Camara as a 'role player' - she was the second rated forward and #9 overall in her class, she did not start for the first half of the season as a freshman (sound familiar) but started the last third of the KY season and her production and minutes increased significantly - her first start was against SC and she held her own against the best front court the SEC has to offer. Azura is a year older and probably had higher upside, but Camara is a very good player who is likely to bring a lot to which ever team she joins.

If she were to come to Uconn she would in her first year on the court be sharing the 'size positions on the court with Butler and Stevens - having three low post players on a team is not 'crowded'. It wasn't when it was Kiah, Breanna, and Morgan. In her second year there would be Stevens, Camara and hopefully a freshman or two. I don't see it producing a log jam. Gabby if she wants to succeed as a pro is going to need to continue expanding her game away from the basket, as will Napheesa. Neither is going to be primarily a low post presence at the next level, so this should not be causing issues with current players. The player that would be most impacted on next years roster is Irwin and we have yet to see how her skills translate on the court at Uconn.
Pump the brakes. Camara was a role player at Kentucky and with UCONN's 2017-18 projected roster she would be likewise.
In HS basketball the MAPL is a league that Camara should have dominated because she was the only player in the league at 6'2", instead she was 2nd team all MAPL and 1st team for the two years she was in the league. The ranking of 9th in the class was a "Post" ranking by ESPN not a Forward ranking. In her Freshmen year at Kentucky she fail to make the SEC ALL-Freshmen team. She is a good player but this notion that she would talent wise a regular UCONN rotation player has no basis. The angle that she could be a replacement for Boykin is off base because while Boykin was a regular on USA basketball teams, Camara never made it pass the first cut. Talent wise comparisons of Camara to Morgan and Azura are outright heinous!

Reaction Score
Honest question. Did you mean no aversion - to top quality transfers like Nat and Azure?
Yep. I saw the error too late. I think Geno will have a hard time refusing a talent like Camara if she is dying to come to UConn.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Pump the brakes. Camara was a role player at Kentucky and with UCONN's 2017-18 projected roster she would be likewise.
In HS basketball the MAPL is a league that Camara should have dominated because she was the only player in the league at 6'2", instead she was 2nd team all MAPL and 1st team for the two years she was in the league. The ranking of 9th in the class was a "Post" ranking by ESPN not a Forward ranking. In her Freshmen year at Kentucky she fail to make the SEC ALL-Freshmen team. She is a good player but this notion that she would talent wise a regular UCONN rotation player has no basis. The angle that she could be a replacement for Boykin is off base because while Boykin was a regular on USA basketball teams, Camara never made it pass the first cut. Talent wise comparisons of Camara to Morgan and Azura are outright heinous!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am not sure how you count a player as a role player who starts all the games from Feb 4 on including the SEC tournament and the NCAA - The team was in a slump having lost 4 of 6, they put her into the starting line-up against SC and they lost a competitive game, followed by 7 wins before they again lost to SC in the SEC semi, and then lost to Washington in the NCAA S16.
Thanks for the correction on the HS ranking I misread the article on her.
Just as a comparison - different team and all, but similar size player - Morgan Tuck as a freshman averaged 15.8 minutes, 3.4 rebounds, 6.4 points, shooting .454 with 2 starts - Camara averaged 18.3, 4.3, 5.1 shooting .493.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am not sure how you count a player as a role player who starts all the games from Feb 4 on including the SEC tournament and the NCAA - The team was in a slump having lost 4 of 6, they put her into the starting line-up against SC and they lost a competitive game, followed by 7 wins before they again lost to SC in the SEC semi, and then lost to Washington in the NCAA S16.
Thanks for the correction on the HS ranking I misread the article on her.
Just as a comparison - different team and all, but similar size player - Morgan Tuck as a freshman averaged 15.8 minutes, 3.4 rebounds, 6.4 points, shooting .454 with 2 starts - Camara averaged 18.3, 4.3, 5.1 shooting .493.
More like a different universe to compare Freshmen Tuck to Freshmen Camara. BTW Freshmen Tuck was also a role player. Camara was definitely a role player because although (as you correctly stated) she was inserted into the starting lineup late in the season, she averaged the least minutes among the starters and not significantly more minutes than she was averaging before becoming a starer. Her productivity was spotty against good team such as 1 rebound against South Carolina, 2 points against Washington, & 4 Points to match 4 PF against OK. The UK lost to SC in the SEC semis was by 30 points so I'm not sure you want to look at that game but since you mentioned it-Camara played 15 Minutes ( Below her season average) and she had 4 TO.
Camara best game was at South Carolina where she had 14 Point and 9 Rebounds-very good against SC front line but she also fouled out in 25 Minutes of play.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
More like a different universe to compare Freshmen Tuck to Freshmen Camara. BTW Freshmen Tuck was also a role player. Camara was definitely a role player because although (as you correctly stated) she was inserted into the starting lineup late in the season, she averaged the least minutes among the starters and not significantly more minutes than she was averaging before becoming a starer. Her productivity was spotty against good team such as 1 rebound against South Carolina, 2 points against Washington, & 4 Points to match 4 PF against OK. The UK lost to SC in the SEC semis was by 30 points so I'm not sure you want to look at that game but since you mentioned it-Camara played 15 Minutes ( Below her season average) and she had 4 TO.
Camara best game was at South Carolina where she had 14 Point and 9 Rebounds-very good against SC front line but she also fouled out in 25 Minutes of play.
That was the one I was referencing - her first start and not bad for a freshman going up against two very good post players.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Who is she? What's her worth? Skill level and ranked. Help. I'm in the dark.
Turn-the-lights-on.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS