Cam Whitmore Big East Freshman of the Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cam Whitmore Big East Freshman of the Year

Reaction Score
So this award has essentially been reduced to a points per game accolade... total BS.
Or recruiting rankings and NBA potential. Which is essentially what the preseason FOY is, which I understand since you're just projecting at that point.

I'm kind of pissed about this one. I will add that if Karaban was a little more consistent he easily wins this. He had 8 BE games where he scored 6 or less points.

Reaction Score
Having heard Alex speak a lot, I bet this bothers him for about 30 seconds before he's back in the gym working on his game. Winning > any individual award.
He wanted it.

Karaban is one of the leading candidates for the Big East freshman of the year along with Villanova’s Cam Whitmore. Both players were unanimous selections to the all-freshman team.

In Saturday’s 71-59 win at Villanova in the regular season finale, Karaban stated his case by finishing with 16 points, six rebounds, four assists and three blocks.

It’s been his goal since the beginning of the season to win the league’s stop freshman honor. Whitmore was the preseason pick.

“I knew he was the talk of the town for freshmen going into the season, so I wanted to prove myself this season that I could compete with him,” Karaban said Saturday. “He’s such a talented player. That was an individual goal that I told the coaches before the season that I wanted to do.

“... It was definitely something in the back of my mind during the season and I just wanted to finish out the season strong.”

Reaction Score

Robbery in my opinion
Yep, robbery. Whitmore is definitely an athlete and NBA player but he missed a ton of games as did Bouknight-and it cost him! Karaban stepped in day one and was a good player and became a VERY good player and will be a great player.

Reaction Score
I'd rather have Karaban than Whitmore this year and clearly Karaban will be super valuable to us after this season, but I think it's fair.

Karaban: 9.7p, 4.4r, 1.9a, 1.7 3PM, 56.5 2p%, 39.4 3p%, 82.5 ft%, 0.6s, 0.6b

Whitmore: 12.6p, 5.1r, 0.7a, 1.4 3PM, 55.7 2p%, 34.7 3p%, 73.3 ft%, 1.4s, 0.4b

I think part of it is Villanova was 2-5 without Whitmore.
The overall production from Whitmore is higher because he was relied on a little more to take shots and get defensive rebounds, but the efficiency of Karaban was better due to better shooting percentages, more assists, and less turnovers. Hence Whitmore's PER was higher, but Karaban's efficency rating was much higher on offense and equal to Whitmore on defense.

Reaction Score
I'd rather have Karaban than Whitmore this year and clearly Karaban will be super valuable to us after this season, but I think it's fair.

Karaban: 9.7p, 4.4r, 1.9a, 1.7 3PM, 56.5 2p%, 39.4 3p%, 82.5 ft%, 0.6s, 0.6b

Whitmore: 12.6p, 5.1r, 0.7a, 1.4 3PM, 55.7 2p%, 34.7 3p%, 73.3 ft%, 1.4s, 0.4b

I think part of it is Villanova was 2-5 without Whitmore.
Not sure, without looking, but how many games did Villanova lose with him in the line-up? 9 or 10? We'll get a motivated Karaban in NYC.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Still don't understand this logic. Are you saying that whoever voted for Clingan was only necessarily voting between Clingan and Karaban? Or vice versa? Doesn't make any sense. Or that there was default voting for Whitmore because voters couldn't make up their minds between Clingan and Karaban? That doesn't make any sense either.

Karaban and Whitmore were unanimous selections to the freshman team.

You only need one or two Whitmore voters voters to vote Whitmore one, Clingan two and Karaban three as compared to Karaban voters going Karaban, Whitmore and Clingan.

It's obvious it was a two person race overall so it came down to a small number of voters who didn't put Karaban second.

Reaction Score
Let Whitmore have it.

Whitmore today, Karaban tomorrow and the next day and the . . . . . .

Just saying Karaban will be the superior sophomore and beyond.

Reaction Score
The future will be kinder to Alex - more NCAA wins, more BE post-season awards, and ultimately a longer NBA career. Mark my words. :)

Reaction Score
Remember when Freeman used a biggest award snub to motivate him for the BET? That should be Alex’s model.
correct. I thought Karaban should've gotten BEFOTY, but I am hoping he gets on fire after being snubbed. Going back to 2011, I am glad Kemba didn't get his BEPOY award, too. I am not sure he would publicly admit this, but I think he went scorched earth on the competition after that and it resulted in UConn winning 11 straight single elimination games.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This award was Whitmore’s to lose the minute he committed to Nova.
Karaban was the more complete player and was awarded weekly accordingly.
This is the toughest award to win in any league when there is a top 25 recruit coming to play. Ridiculous

Reaction Score
Since new Big East was formed, here’s the list of players to have won Freshman of the Week at least six times in a season:

Henry Ellenson (2015-16)
Omari Spellman (2017-18)
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl (2019-20)
Ryan Nembhard (2021-22)
Alex Karaban (2022-23)

Of those five, here’s the list of players who didn’t win BE Freshman of the Year:

Alex Karaban (2022-23)

Reaction Score
He wanted it.

Karaban is one of the leading candidates for the Big East freshman of the year along with Villanova’s Cam Whitmore. Both players were unanimous selections to the all-freshman team.

In Saturday’s 71-59 win at Villanova in the regular season finale, Karaban stated his case by finishing with 16 points, six rebounds, four assists and three blocks.

It’s been his goal since the beginning of the season to win the league’s stop freshman honor. Whitmore was the preseason pick.

“I knew he was the talk of the town for freshmen going into the season, so I wanted to prove myself this season that I could compete with him,” Karaban said Saturday. “He’s such a talented player. That was an individual goal that I told the coaches before the season that I wanted to do.

“... It was definitely something in the back of my mind during the season and I just wanted to finish out the season strong.”

Of course he wanted it. I just mean he doesn't strike me as the type to be bothered by it and let it affect his game.

Reaction Score
Dont forget Rebounds and assists too
Rebounds edge to Cam assists 5.1-4.4 and taking care of the ball easily Karaban. They ran their offense through him quite often and despite that he has an edge onassists and less turnovers as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom