2020 Recruiting: - Cam Thomas Sets OVs (UConn in mix) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Cam Thomas Sets OVs (UConn in mix)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Lets stay positive. Coaches are putting in the work. Would love this kid.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
The fact that we're seriously in the mix for a 5 star and arguably the best scorer in the class is enough to give me hope.

Reaction Score
The fact that we're seriously in the mix for a 5 star and arguably the best scorer in the class is enough to give me hope.
We made Cam Reddish's top 5...under KO. It's not enough to be "in the mix". Gotta finish.

Reaction Score
Pretty rare. Winning is the most constant correlation to getting high end recruits.
I'd say winning but also consistently putting people into the NBA. Recruits want results. Programs who don't do either are very $u$picious

Reaction Score
Pretty rare. Winning is the most constant correlation to getting high end recruits.
It's really not that rare though. We see it with programs we go head to head with on recruits. NC State, LSU, and Auburn (outside of last year) don't win anything of significance and yet they bring in studs. Memphis hasn't made the tournament in years and they have the #1 class.

Reaction Score
It's really not that rare though. We see it with programs we go head to head with on recruits. NC State, LSU, and Auburn (outside of last year) don't win anything of significance and yet they bring in studs. Memphis hasn't made the tournament in years and they have the #1 class.
NC State has been pretty good recently, Auburn obviously as well, and Memphis has Penny as a coach, thats just a given he’ll get star recruits. Also, L$U is under the microscope now, and everyone knows what’s going on there.

Reaction Score
Corey Evans flipped his pick on Rivals from NC State to LSU yesterday.

Reaction Score
NC State has been pretty good recently, Auburn obviously as well, and Memphis has Penny as a coach, thats just a given he’ll get star recruits. Also, L$U is under the microscope now, and everyone knows what’s going on there.

It doesn't matter anymore. The floodgates are open when it comes to payoffs.

Edit: & now with California passing a law allowing players to get endorsements, the sneaker companies will be able to do whatever they want, and worse, the local used car dealership booster is going to start funneling cash to players because college sports are his only joy in life!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We probably need to get used to this shift in the paying players dynamic. It appears the biggest violators continue to violate despite getting caught. Very concerning.

Reaction Score

Edit: & now with California passing a law allowing players to get endorsements, the sneaker companies will be able to do whatever they want, and worse, the local used car dealership booster is going to start funneling cash to players because college sports are his only joy in life!

California needs all the help it can get when it comes to revenue sports. They have an absurd amount of dumpster fires given the amount of college programs/population/resources. On the bright side, they are fantastic at the non-revenues...I see you Stanford.

Reaction Score
Superjohn is right. UW recruited great under Romar. Couldn’t win. Any Bruce Pearl led team always recruits well but he can’t coach. I’m sure there are many examples don’t feel like doing much research.

Anyway point is there are lots of great recruiters out there. Let’s worry more about results on the court and less about recruiting.

Mark Few has said it’s not about recruiting high ranks/talented players it’s about recruiting the right pieces and personalities for your team and culture.

Reaction Score
Superjohn is right. UW recruited great under Romar. Couldn’t win. Any Bruce Pearl led team always recruits well but he can’t coach. I’m sure there are many examples don’t feel like doing much research.

Anyway point is there are lots of great recruiters out there. Let’s worry more about results on the court and less about recruiting.

Mark Few has said it’s not about recruiting high ranks/talented players it’s about recruiting the right pieces and personalities for your team and culture.

2 teams with pretty much concrete evidence of buying kids (auburn & Washington)

Reaction Score

The Gov.still has to pass it into law so we will see how much the NCAA will influence his choice.

Reaction Score
The Gov.still has to pass it into law so we will see how much the NCAA will influence his choice.

He's going to pass it.

If you read between the lines, the only schools complaining are schools like San Diego State who can't compete for players with $$.

The other Pac12 schools are going to suck up the nation's biggest talent. I bet you the Cal. people are thinking, "I dare you to ban the next Zion Williamson from the postseason!!" ESPN won't like that, and the NCAA will instantly cave.

I think the days of college amateur athletics are going to be gone sooner than anyone thinks.

Reaction Score
We made Cam Reddish's top 5...under KO. It's not enough to be "in the mix". Gotta finish.
Agree. We’re always a lock at the onset. In the mix. Then forgotten. Or come to party late get in the mix. And get forgotten. 5* have always and forever looked at or liked us. Just not hearing , seeing what they want or cashing out the way they deserve. We weren’t built on 5*s. That’s ex’ what makes us great. Stiynice to really get some.

Reaction Score
Agree. We’re always a lock at the onset. In the mix. Then forgotten. Or come to party late get in the mix. And get forgotten. 5* have always and forever looked at or liked us. Just not hearing , seeing what they want or cashing out the way they deserve. We weren’t built on 5*s. That’s ex’ what makes us great. Stiynice to really get some.
Nobody is ever a lock at the onset.

Oklahoma State is hiring Cade Cunningham's family members and Calipari is still visiting him in mid September. I doubt Calipari would just be wasting his time if he didn't have a puncher's chance. My point is that if the kid isn't going to be making his decision for another year or so, getting a crystal ball pick or positive buzz doesn't mean the kid will end up at your school.

Reaction Score
He's going to pass it.

If you read between the lines, the only schools complaining are schools like San Diego State who can't compete for players with $$.

The other Pac12 schools are going to suck up the nation's biggest talent. I bet you the Cal. people are thinking, "I dare you to ban the next Zion Williamson from the postseason!!" ESPN won't like that, and the NCAA will instantly cave.

I think the days of college amateur athletics are going to be gone sooner than anyone thinks.
It's funny how people (not you upstater) ignore that college athletes are getting "paid" today through their scholarship and associated expenses. UConn estimates that the average out of state athlete costs about $86k per year or ~$350k over 4 years. I would assume the costs for a basketball or football athlete are even higher.

Most college athletes will not have the opportunity to make money no matter what the rules are in the future. It makes me wonder, will some schools turn their backs on high level college football or basketball? I'm sure the academics at some schools do not want their basketball and football programs to become pro teams. You can argue that they are already pro teams, but once you start paying the players, you leave no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom