2020 Recruiting: - Cam Thomas Sets OVs (UConn in mix) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Cam Thomas Sets OVs (UConn in mix)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would assume the costs for a basketball or football athlete are even higher...it makes me wonder, will some schools turn their backs on high level college football or basketball?

yeah only about 50% of college bball programs break even... schools that aren't profitable (e.g. UConn) couldn't possibly afford to pay players directly.... the money would have to come from private 3rd parties via endorsements (as contemplated by Cali's Fair PLay Act) but i think that would still completely ruin the competitive landscape.

imagine what giant public schools like UK could do with all their boosters.... every 5* recruit gets his name on a local car-wash and car dealership (beamer, benz, or bentley included). every 4* recruit gets a laundromat which he can use to wash his dirty money from under-the-table deals with less savory businesses. and so on and so forth

small private schools would be toast- looking at you big east

PS- i know that's not how money is laundered

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's funny how people (not you upstater) ignore that college athletes are getting "paid" today through their scholarship and associated expenses. UConn estimates that the average out of state athlete costs about $86k per year or ~$350k over 4 years. I would assume the costs for a basketball or football athlete are even higher.

Most college athletes will not have the opportunity to make money no matter what the rules are in the future. It makes me wonder, will some schools turn their backs on high level college football or basketball? I'm sure the academics at some schools do not want their basketball and football programs to become pro teams. You can argue that they are already pro teams, but once you start paying the players, you leave no doubt.

A lot of P5 schools are taking a bath on big time sports. There is no doubt. A certain level of losses should probably be acceptable for the sake of campus culture ($10-15m??). But at a time of resource scarcity across universities, and when students are going into debt, when they will be servicing those student "sports" fees for the next 25 years, it becomes increasingly hard to justify.

That being said, this is outside money. So I have really no objection to it. If they can hold up the used car dealer/booster for tens of thousands, more power to them. He's the sucker, not them.

If it destroys college sports to have players endorsed by boosters, then that's the road they chose to go down. Will fans like me turn away? Yes. Am I in the minority? Don't know.

But I've turned away from lifelong passions in the past (baseball) so it's not like I'm coming off a heroin addiction.

Reaction Score

This statement from the NCAA near the beginning: "If the bill becomes law and California’s 58 NCAA schools are compelled to allow an unrestricted name, image and likeness scheme, it would erase the critical distinction between college and professional athletics and, because it gives those schools an unfair recruiting advantage, would result in them eventually being unable to compete in NCAA competitions."

Then the writer gives various scenarios that are more realistic, none of which bode well for college sports. Money seems to ruin everything and it's accelerating. So glad we had some glory days because it doesn't look promising for us if this law becomes the law of the land.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
California will set the stage for a huge fight, which will be interesting to see what states come to help the NCAA and what states go after them. This is going to be ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom