Cam Reddish - Update | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Cam Reddish - Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The one and done recruits will just go straight to the NBA instead of going to the same 3 schools.

Look at the past though, how many guys were going straight to the league before the 1 and done rule. 3-5 per class at most?

sure it's nice to not have an Okafor and a Bagley go to Duke, or a Wall or Cousins to Kentucky, but it still won't change that much.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
And the next layer of kids will do what?
The best of the rest will be fought over by the same three schools for sure, but since all the players remaining in the NCAA will need to prove something to the NBA, they'll distribute more evenly (than they do now) across an expanded pool of the top D1 programs. If you don't have the NBA body or athleticism right away you have to show what you can do in games, so kids will pick teams that will get PT & exposure, vs sitting on the bench because they are artificially being help back by the 1 year rule.

It doesn't solve everything, in fact it probably exacerbates the transfer problem (if it even is one), but it might help parity.

Reaction Score
The best of the rest will be fought over by the same three schools for sure, but since all the players remaining in the NCAA will need to prove something to the NBA, they'll distribute more evenly (than they do now) across an expanded pool of the top D1 programs. If you don't have the NBA body or athleticism right away you have to show what you can do in games, so kids will pick teams that will get PT & exposure, vs sitting on the bench because they are artificially being help back by the 1 year rule.

It doesn't solve everything, in fact it probably exacerbates the transfer problem (if it even is one), but it might help parity.

With the best of the rest going to those schools also, Calipari will have to show he can develop players over multiple years instead of treating UK as a waystation. And he won't have the same success rate, which will take some of the sheen off.

Reaction Score
K and Cal have created the biggest farce in college athletics. They have convinced these guys that you must play at duke or Kentucky to be a lotto pick. They have a monopoly on the high end talent. Ben Simmons and Markelle Fultz should be exhibit A and B that if your an NBA talent it doesn't matter where you play, they'll notice you

I agree kids don't have to go to puke or Kentucky to be a lottery picks. The problem is if you're going to play for one year in college don't you want to give yourself the best chance to win it all. I don't think the guys you mentioned would sign up again to play their one year of college ball to not even make tourney. Cal and K don't need to sell them on being drafted high, they sell them on winning. Point is I don't believe they're selling them a farce on being drafted but the chance to make the most out of the one and done format.

Reaction Score
That article reminds me of the time Jay Williams showed up at dinner when Kevin Love was in high school and he handed over a paper bag with $25k in it to Love's AAU coach. At the time, Duke was recruiting Love. Williams was an agent.

I can imagine what goes on at these meetings.

Reaction Score
LeBron likes KO and a bunch of ex UConn guys at least right?
Let's not forget about his love for his USA coach either. Maybe once K retires and UConn has another title under our belt then LeBron will push kids to us.

Reaction Score
Does Benedict periodically meet with Ollie to review how recruiting is going? A large part of being a coach is the responsibility of selling your program to recruits. In any sales job management looks at results and if the results are lacking they may want to discuss with the salesperson things like "how's your pipeline look?" "are these realistic targets?" "what can I do to help to get you on track?" etc.

I'm all for giving Ollie a leash to run his program and to not have those types of conversations between AD and HC but we may be at the point where monitoring and intervention from AD Dave are necessary to refocus Ollie's efforts.

Reaction Score
Does Benedict periodically meet with Ollie to review how recruiting is going? A large part of being a coach is the responsibility of selling your program to recruits. In any sales job management looks at results and if the results are lacking they may want to discuss with the salesperson things like "how's your pipeline look?" "are these realistic targets?" "what can I do to help to get you on track?" etc.

I'm all for giving Ollie a leash to run his program and to not have those types of conversations between AD and HC but we may be at the point where monitoring and intervention from AD Dave are necessary to refocus Ollie's efforts.

What can AD Dave do? Monitoring and intervention? This is crazy.

Reaction Score
Whatever Ollie is doing is not working. He has surrounded himself with Yes men who either think what they're doing is sound or they don't have the balls to tell him otherwise. What makes you think he'll change anything unless the AD set him straight. Ollie has ZERO momentum on the recruiting trail coming off a disastrous season. Point blank I'd tell him you're not in a position to spend as much time as you are on 5 star recruits. Aim lower, get some momentum, building blocks in the form of 3stars and then work up from there. I don't think that is "crazy"

Reaction Score
Do you want this board to implode?

When I think of re-building a program (which is exactly where we are at) I don't think of grad-transfers from Cornell & Fordham and a JuCo from Alaska that spends 8 hours a day dunking because you struck out on every 5 star recruit you went after and didn't think to aim a little bit lower. Take off the blue glasses and wake up. This is where we are at. Get kids with 4 years of eligibility and develop them if you really are a good coach. Wichita is going to run us out the building this year with lower level talent.

Reaction Score
Whatever Ollie is doing is not working. He has surrounded himself with Yes men who either think what they're doing is sound or they don't have the balls to tell him otherwise. What makes you think he'll change anything unless the AD set him straight. Ollie has ZERO momentum on the recruiting trail coming off a disastrous season. Point blank I'd tell him you're not in a position to spend as much time as you are on 5 star recruits. Aim lower, get some momentum, building blocks in the form of 3stars and then work up from there. I don't think that is "crazy"

"He's surrounded himself with Yes men" is exactly the type of thing that becomes "he has great chemistry on the staff" when things are going well. I've re-hashed the Miller situation a billion times, and I liked him, but ultimately, the head coach needs to surround himself with guys that are similar to him philosophically. The idea that the assistant coaches need to be bringing in radically different ideas is overrated. You don't want complete overlap, but you also want them preaching from the same bible.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Whoa. Over-react much? He had one bad season. He had one bad summer. Give the guy a break. This team is going to be good this yr. Winning will solve most of the issues. We seem to be in a good place for 2018 recruiting.

Reaction Score

Hes not a good enough coach to bring three star recruits and win. The KO defenders say his special ability is recruiting so if he just gets three star recruits there is no use for KO at UConn.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
One bad season..... Thanks for watching UConn basketball the last three years :)
So...a conference championship and an NCAA tournament win isn't a good season? Man...hard to please some people.

Reaction Score
So...a conference championship and an NCAA tournament win isn't a good season? Man...hard to please some people.
The last 3yrs haven't been horrible and it hasn't been great. Like everything it lies somewhere in the middle. We've been extremely mediocre and mediocre is like warm coffee it doesn't sell well. Recruits either want to join a power house hami\UK or they want to be the savior mathis\Rutgers

Reaction Score
Well, it is self-inflicted but wasn't it Ollie that stated "We're UCONN, we chase National Championships"?

Don't think the last 3 years and his statement are aligned properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom