• Golden Hearts (70-79)

Votes: 50 86.2%
  • Golden Golden Heart (80+)

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Me, too, Carnac. I haven't been to Gampel this season.

I was at the XL Center for the Kutztown game and will be there for NC State and the other XL Center games, accompanied by my brother and a couple of friends who have the season tickets and are very gracious to share.

Perhaps best bet to answer your question would be Tonyc, if he's reading this thread. Last season he set up a quick meeting during halftime of the Arkansas game so I got to meet him and a few others. I don't know if he goes to games at Gampel. It'd be a good hike from his home, but I wouldn't be surprised.
I would love to meet some Boneyarders in person at a game. To put a face to some names would be great. When I attended the UConn-Stanford game in 2014, while waiting outside for the doors to open, I got a chance to meet and talk to other UConn fans (that were appropriately attired in UConn gear), if they ever read or posted on the Boneyard. Most of them didn't, nor did they know it existed. :eek:

There were a lot of UConn fans there that night. Some from San Diego, and a few from out of state. There are a lot of us our here in the golden state, more than you think. ;)

Oh yeah, I'm a golden. We just celebrated our 52nd wedding anniversary Monday. Unless I got married when I was 10, I have to be at least a golden. My children and their children are grown. Still active and in decent health. Still able to do minor maintenance around the house, and wash all the cars weekly. I would NEVER take them to a car wash. That's a waste of $$$, plus they would never do as good a job as I do.

Our 3 year old great grand-niece keeps us young. When you play with her, she insists you get on the floor with her. No sitting in a chair. :eek: She wants to play all the time. :confused:

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Me, too, Carnac. I haven't been to Gampel this season.

I was at the XL Center for the Kutztown game and will be there for NC State and the other XL Center games, accompanied by my brother and a couple of friends who have the season tickets and are very gracious to share.

Perhaps best bet to answer your question would be Tonyc, if he's reading this thread. Last season he set up a quick meeting during halftime of the Arkansas game so I got to meet him and a few others. I don't know if he goes to games at Gampel. It'd be a good hike from his home, but I wouldn't be surprised.
73 and still around. I'll be at the XL on Sunday, and with the win over Texas, I'm even more excited for the NCST game. Win this one and we will move up to #3. Actually, if we win, and SC takes care of Stanford, we may move up to #2 if they remember that we beat them 3 games ago. Go Huskies

Carnac

Reaction Score
View attachment 80755 We got all 3 channels and always found something to watch. In fact i still get Ed Sullivan on it. Thank god for cellophane. In 545 days and 12 hours i will be a golden golden octogenarian. YAHOOOO.
You're preaching to the choir Pacific. We ALL remember the golden age of television. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
73 and still around. I'll be at the XL on Sunday, and with the win over Texas, I'm even more excited for the NCST game. Win this one and we will move up to #3. Actually, if we win, and SC takes care of Stanford, we may move up to #2 if they remember that we beat them 3 games ago. Go Huskies
I would like it the other way around................how about Stanford takes care of SC, and we move up to #1? ;)

Enjoy the game. Those of us that can't make the game would sure like to hear from you as to what you saw Sunday at the XL. You'll see and hear things we won't on TV. A totally different perspective. What you liked, what you didn't. Who was YOUR BADDASS, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not quite golden yet. Still working even, though I occasionally freak out my students by threatening to retire — which I should have done a while back. But it’s hard to give up working with young people. This year I’m teaching astronomy, and upper division philosophy.

I’m one of those profs who doesn’t focus on writing scholarly junk anymore. I started publishing fiction a few years back and now have 8 novels out and am working on #9. Maybe I’ll catch up to Geno’s number of masterpieces before he hits 15!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Not quite golden yet. Still working even, though I occasionally freak out my students by threatening to retire — which I should have done a while back. But it’s hard to give up working with young people. This year I’m teaching astronomy, and upper division philosophy.

I’m one of those profs who doesn’t focus on writing scholarly junk anymore. I started publishing fiction a few years back and now have 8 novels out and am working on #9. Maybe I’ll catch up to Geno’s number of masterpieces before he hits 15!
Good for you Doggie. Don't rush to join us. Hopefully we'll still be here when you do. Retirement is GREAT. You get paid to stay home and do the things YOU want to do at YOUR leisure. The greatest thing about retirement..........everyday is Saturday. It won't take you long to make that transition. ;)

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Bill George was the 1st ever middle linebacker in the NFL. He lived above a restaurant less than a mile from where we lived. My high school wrestling coach Pete George was his cousin. Butkus is the middle linebacker all others aspire to be.

Reaction Score
View attachment 80755 We got all 3 channels and always found something to watch. In fact i still get Ed Sullivan on it. Thank god for cellophane. In 545 days and 12 hours i will be a golden golden octogenarian. YAHOOOO.
Isn't it strange that we never complained about something to watch when there were only three channels, but now that there are hundreds we do? As long as we are doing nostalgia, I remember the excitement when kids in the neighborhood were invited to a friend's house to see a program in color. Just seeing the NBC peacock in color was a big deal at that time.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Isn't it strange that we never complained about something to watch when there were only three channels, but now that there are hundreds we do? As long as we are doing nostalgia, I remember the excitement when kids in the neighborhood were invited to a friend's house to see a program in color. Just seeing the NBC peacock in color was a big deal at that time.
We didn't get our first color TV until I was 11-12 . Because we didn't have one, we didn't miss it........until we saw one on display at a major appliance store. :eek: We were not handcuffed to a TV or a cellphone all day. We (as kids) grew up being outdoors all day every day. We knew every kid in the neighborhood in a 3-4 block radius. Most of us had bikes, and rode them all around the neighborhood visiting every kid's house we knew.

We found things to keep our interest and friends to keep us busy and entertained. We had options and we used them. We built scooters and go-carts out of scrap wood using those old clamp skates. Some of these poor children today are in bondage. They are prisoners of their cellphones. They stare into their phones every waking moment, putting them down only to sleep. :confused: I am so glad cellphones had not been invented during my youth.

When I recall to my grandchildren all of the things that we have now, that had not been invented yet when I was a kid, they are in awe, wondering "how did you survive the day?" No cellphones, no computers or internet, no WiFi, no social media, no DVD recorders, no color TV or remotes to change the channels. No microwave ovens, no digital anything!!! My youngest GD told me "it sounds like you guys lived in the stone age" :confused: She said no way could she have lived "in the olden days." I tried to explain to her that you don't miss things you never had. :)

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Looks like you found a strand here...... golden 73. Shocking Remember the 60's Mantle, Maris, Mays and Henry Aaron..... Beatles and Smokey....JFK and King
Something else that is interesting.................my youngest granddaughter is almost 22 (born in 2001). There are so many things and events that happened before the turn of the century that is history to them, that we remember like it was yesterday.

Children born in 2001 do not remember or have any recollection of 9-11. They were still newborns and wondering when they were going to get their next bottle. :confused:

Reaction Score
golden 77 here. still waiting for someone to come alone to have Gabby like skills ...maybe Ayanna will get there.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
My family had one of those when I was a kid, it also had a radio. I would listen to the Cubs game before they were on the tube a few years later. I'm twice retired, Army and Real Estate, just two months shy of the Golden Heart.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
my youngest granddaughter is almost 22 (born in 2001). There are so many things and events that happened before the turn of the century that is history to them, that we remember like it was yesterday.
Similar story in my house, except it's my daughter. Just turned 23 and graduated from Cal, the child of my old age. How the heck did that happen?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Middle Golden here, and proud to still be cell-phone free. Bought my first season tickets to UConn women's basketball for the 93-94 season to watch Rebecca. Been to 3 Final Fours - 01, 02 and 04, memories of which I cherish. Glad to be in good company here.
I too am cell phone free. Good to see another with the courage of other distractions.

Reaction Score
We had one of those, but it had a much smaller screen. Only about 9” if memory serves. Parents got it before I came along. I’ll be a golden 73 in a few weeks, and I still don’t know what I want to do when I grow up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom