Calling by all Boneyard doctors | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Calling by all Boneyard doctors

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Huh...? The L for "ligament" is right there in MCL...
An MCL sprain is ligament damage. It's just not a complete tear.

This will likely mean the rest of the season. People play on these in football. It was said that Brady suffered a MCL sprain during the year, but for a basketball player it is a whole different story.

Safest route for him is to let it fully heal (a few months) and hit the camps in the early summer.

It really sucks because I loved watching Jalen play. It was a pleasure to watch him driving to the hoop and his creative shots. It's just a pleasure watching the kid.

Yeah I poorly worded that. I'm not a doctor. But I think you know what I meant.
I meant did he just like stretch the ligament (a sprain, I think) or tear it (much more serious).

To me, MCL sprain indicates something not as serious, rather than a complete tear. When you hear of an athlete spraining their MCL, that indicates they either stretched the ligament, or tore it just slightly enough so it's not serious. If they tore it, they call it a torn or ruptured MCL. No?

Reaction Score
Everything is a sprain in medical terms. The grade of sprain covers everything through "severe sprain" which is a complete tear. It's presumably the difference between medical and common language, but if a sprain is reported, we have no idea what it means from that alone.

Reaction Score
No matter the injury, I think it'd be crazy for Jalen to come back in the regular season. If it's a relatively minor injury and he wants to try and win four games in four days in the AAC tournament, fine. Otherwise, let the young guys try to finish the year strong. This is a kid that, NBA or not, has a chance to make millions over his lifetime playing basketball, starting this summer. Wouldn't want him to risk that via further injury just to win a couple extra games in the AAC.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Season is essentially over, sucks that we don’t have a bunch of freshman we could get experience here. Hurley was dealt a wildly bad hand.

Reaction Score
Hurley had three scholarships and probably could have had 4 or 5.If he chose. He got Adams, Smith ,and Yakwe. He didn’ want anyone who had committed.
for whatever reason.
So if he has no freshman it was his choice.
I believe the consensus was to hold scholships for 2019-20 .

Reaction Score
I'm kind of a Jalen guy despite his inconsistencies and the fact he couldn't carry the team every night. He got beat up pretty good last year but was still the best player on the team most nights regardless. He clearly doesn't fit Hurley's mold, but hopefully he can make a full recovery and continue his career if he doesn't get back with us this year. I think tonight was just a taste of how much he'll be missed from a competitive standpoint. The team was difficult to watch without him tonight and we don't have any cupcakes left to try to fake it against. Temple is a decent team hope they make the Tourney.

Reaction Score
Just awful. Even it's a only a sprain (fingers crossed), he'll likely be gone at least 3 weeks. Huge loss.

Reaction Score
Eh. They were a ____ hair from losing in the first round. And the point is that team basically came out of nowhere to win the whole thing, which doesn't happen very often. You get some good breaks and some bad ones. We've have some rough times lately but we've also had two teams that most people didn't expect to cut down nets cut down nets, and every year stacked teams don't do that.

Of course, we also had teams that were stacked that didn't win it, like 1995, 2006 and 2009, so maybe 2011 and 2014 were the Gods repaying UConn.

Reaction Score
This would really be a depressing story if this is the way Jalen ends his career at UConn, especially after what happened in the ECU game and never having a chance to redeem himself. For anybody that thinks Jalen is in any way bad for this team, I guarantee Hurley re-recruited him the hardest out of anybody on this roster because he knew if this team had any chance of being over .500, they needed Jalen Adams.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
No matter the injury, I think it'd be crazy for Jalen to come back in the regular season. If it's a relatively minor injury and he wants to try and win four games in four days in the AAC tournament, fine. Otherwise, let the young guys try to finish the year strong. This is a kid that, NBA or not, has a chance to make millions over his lifetime playing basketball, starting this summer. Wouldn't want him to risk that via further injury just to win a couple extra games in the AAC.

No matter the injury? What if it’s a totally minor, nonconsequential sprain and he’s ready to go later this week? Let’s find out the severity before moving to drama queen status.

Reaction Score
The doctors know whether he torn it or not. Just had one of our kids go down with one last Saturday. They can tell immediately. Sure we will get word when we get word.

Reaction Score
Let's hope Coach Hurley huffs and puffs and blows the black cloud away.

Reaction Score
Let’s See what the doctors say - - shut Jalen down for the year? Geez dramatic. If it’s only a sprain he can very reasonably come back in a few weeks which will still leave him with three or four regular season games left plus the AAC tourney plus possibly post season NIT - let’s all calm down till we hear the doctors diagnosis today. It’s only early February. Not late February.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I'm not a Dr. but I play a lot of fantasy football and I concur.

Thinking grade 2 MCL and he'll be back for start of AAC tournament in 5 weeks.
Stick to your fantasies

Reaction Score
Many times if it's a torn ACL, it could be easily determined by pulling the knee in certainly directions to see if it is lax. The UConn staff probably determined that it was strong. However, it could always be a partial tear of the ACL or other ligament or cartilage damage that won't be picked up until the MRI results are in. I am not a doctor but have had many knee surgeries including ACL's so I've been there. Hopefully, there is no structural damage and he is strong enough to finish his senior season. For those out there that are saying he should sit the rest of the year regardless of the results, I have to strongly disagree. If he is strong enough to play, he should play and will want to play.

Reaction Score
An MCL sprain is ligament damage. It's just not a complete tear.

This will likely mean the rest of the season. People play on these in football. It was said that Brady suffered a MCL sprain during the year, but for a basketball player it is a whole different story.

Safest route for him is to let it fully heal (a few months) and hit the camps in the early summer.

It really sucks because I loved watching Jalen play. It was a pleasure to watch him driving to the hoop and his creative shots. It's just a pleasure watching the kid.

Think you're spot on - regardless of the severity, Adams will only benefit long term with rehabbing with the goal of hitting pro workouts. Not saying I think it's best for the team, but for Jalen's future.

FWIW, I'm still recovering from a grade 2 sprain from back in Oct...though I'm not working with a professional team daily like athletes do.

Reaction Score
I meant did he just like stretch the ligament (a sprain, I think) or tear it (much more serious).

To me, MCL sprain indicates something not as serious, rather than a complete tear. When you hear of an athlete spraining their MCL, that indicates they either stretched the ligament, or tore it just slightly enough so it's not serious. If they tore it, they call it a torn or ruptured MCL. No?
Yes that's pretty much correct. An MCL sprain that is mild is just a stretch of the ligament but grade 2 and 3 sprains are tears of the MCL and if that is the case, he most likely is done for the year. Even with a level 1 sprain, he is at a higher risk to re-injure the ligament if he comes back to quickly. The MRI will tell it all.

Reaction Score
We had a great player in Shabazz Napier with other good college basketball players surrounding him.

There was nothing LUCKY about that run. They led everyone but St. Joe's from start to finish.

Just like luck has nothing to do with the disaster that is UConn athletics right now.

Mostly correct, except for how badly we've been hit with injuries the last three years. But make no mistake -- without injuries this year and last year were not NCAA teams.

Reaction Score

A strain likely refers to an incomplete tear, or partial tear. When they say tear, it's torn in two. With a sprain, you simply do not know the amount of injury. It could be a 4 month injury, it could be 1 month injury.

Reaction Score
His conditioning was already suspect. If he sits for multiple weeks, it will only get worse. Depending on the estimated recovery time, he (and the team) might be better off just shutting it down. And before anyone talks about playing time, minutes played is not a good indicator of conditioning. The question for any D1 athlete is how many minutes they can play at 100% effort.

Reaction Score
I'm kind of a Jalen guy despite his inconsistencies and the fact he couldn't carry the team every night. He got beat up pretty good last year but was still the best player on the team most nights regardless. He clearly doesn't fit Hurley's mold, but hopefully he can make a full recovery and continue his career if he doesn't get back with us this year. I think tonight was just a taste of how much he'll be missed from a competitive standpoint. The team was difficult to watch without him tonight and we don't have any cupcakes left to try to fake it against. Temple is a decent team hope they make the Tourney.
We still have ECU away!

Reaction Score
Mostly correct, except for how badly we've been hit with injuries the last three years. But make no mistake -- without injuries this year and last year were not NCAA teams.
Last years team and to an lesser extent this year’s team were blindsided by desertions , an over optimistic schedule ,and a Gilbert Injury.
Cobb, Kwintin , and DO were desperation bodies , at last Cobb provided a little help.
Anderson was also a decent add but if MAL doesn’t decommit late do we still add him ?
Last years team planned vs Actual
Planned. Actual
Adams. Adams
Larrier* Larrier*
Vital Vital
Gilbert*. Played 5 games
Jackson. Transferred
Enoch. Transferred
Durham. Transferred
MAL. Decommitted
Diarra* Diarra*
Carlton** Carlton**
Polley**. Polley**
Whaley**. Whaley**
Anderson?***. Anderson***
DO
KW
Cobb
* coming off injury and essentially missed the entire previous season
**lightly regarded freshman thrown into key roles.
*** probably added but who knows
Also note only Adams and Vital had played substantial minutes together.
With the team as planned, given the schedule the NCAA is a stretch but post season is doable. That’s a decent mix of experience and youth.
Instead kids and bodies were thrown into the mix. How anyone could have any positive feeling for the kids that destroyed the program and in the process hurt the careers of their teammates is amazing to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom