Call your shot- how good will Breanna be when her career is finished? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Call your shot- how good will Breanna be when her career is finished?

How good will Breanna Stewart be when all is said and done?

• Not on the all-time starting five, but on the Huskies of Honor wall

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
The candy bar was NOT named after Babe Ruth, the incomparable baseball player. It was actually named after President Grover Cleveland's daughter, Ruth Cleveland. Honest.

You can look it up.
I certainly didn't want to get into such a peripheral discussion when I made my (obviously too little) joke but that story has at least more than a little controversy to it.

From Wiki
Eytmology

Although the name of the candy bar sounds like the name of the famous baseball player Babe Ruth, the Curtiss Candy Company traditionally claimed that it was named after President Grover Cleveland's daughter, Ruth Cleveland. The candy maker, located on the same street as Wrigley Field, named the bar "Baby Ruth" in 1921, as Babe Ruth's fame was on the rise, over 30 years after Cleveland had left the White House, and 17 years after his daughter, Ruth, had died. The company did not negotiate an endorsement deal with Ruth, and many[who?] saw the company's story about the origin of the name to be a devious way to avoid having to pay the baseball player any royalties. Curtiss successfully shut down a rival bar that was approved by, and named for, Ruth, on the grounds that the names were too similar.[2]

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Props to Biff! Now I'll ask who the Butterfinger candy bar was named after.

Bill Buckner (Red Sox 1B) and Dick Stuart ("Dr. Strangeglove" and 1B of the Pirates and Red Sox) leap to mind but surely there are bb players who qualify for consideration.

Have at it, 'Yarders! (Just be nice.)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I hope he means a candy bar because he'd have to go back a ways to identify the woman who revolutionized the sport of WBB like Ruth did baseball. Breanna may end up one of the all-time greats, maybe the best ever. But she won't be her sport's "Babe Ruth".
Thats what I meant. Biff thats a good idea, A candy bar, now theres a recruiting tool.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Thats what I meant. Biff thats a good idea, A candy bar, now theres a recruiting tool.
Here's my first offering to the marketing guys. Of course Breanna will have to wait until she graduates....:)

stewies.jpg

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
+10 for the BTTF reference.

My bad, I don't visit here often. I thought "Biff" was a Back to the Future reference, not a regular here.

I'll leave the rest to those of you who are fixtures on this board!

Reaction Score
Premature you say? Want to just enjoy the ride, you say? Pish posh, I say.

Clearly, Breanna Stewart is very good and has played like the #1 high school recruit in the country through four games. So what do you think her career trajectory looks like when all is said and done? Could she knock someone out of UConn's all-time starting five (maybe a Sue-D-Maya-Breanna-Tina lineup)? Could she be in the discussion for all-time greatest Husky? Could she possibly obliterate that discussion and leave it moot?

It will be hard to win three NCs (as D did). It will be hard to be a four-time First Team AA (as Maya was), especially surrounded by so many talented teammates. But she does some things I've never seen before. She can put the ball on the floor like Svet, except she's taller than Svet. She can legitimately shoot threes, though she's so good in the interior already that sometimes it seems like a bad idea to have her that far from the basket. She is already one of the most disruptive interior defenders in WCBB; Griner is certainly more so, and a couple of other players can claim to be equally so, but it's a short list. She is shockingly strong and only going to get more so. She seems to have a decent sense of the moment, i.e., she's not afraid to take a shot when momentum seems to be swinging a bit to an opponent (admittedly, UConn hasn't played a competitive game yet). And really, she has no idea what she's doing on the court yet; she'll be so much better once she "gets it".

So what does this all add up to? Call your shot!
Actually, choices a,b,c are pretty much the same thing. ;^)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
LOL @ the one person who voted no better than second team AA.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
So 86+% of voters thinks Breanna will be at least as good as Maya and D. The nice part I think Breanna expects to be as well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Two freshmen have been Paradise Jam MVPs:

Breanna Stewart

Maya Moore

ST. THOMAS, Virgin Islands -- Connecticut's Breanna Stewart became just the second freshman to be the most valuable player at the women's Paradise Jam tournament.

The other was former UConn star Maya Moore.

Stewart scored 17 points Saturday to lead No. 2 Connecticut to a 91-57 rout of No. 14 Purdue and the tournament championship.

She finished the three games with 57 points and has 90 this season. Moore had 93 through her first five games, and went on to win two national titles.

"I hope Breanna accomplishes the same things in college that Maya did," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "That would be a heck of a career."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One thing to remember - Maya was doing her numbers in about 29 minutes per game. Bree is closer to 20 or 21. Pretty stunning because if you round it out to equal minutes, Bree is a fair amount better.

Reaction Score
One thing to remember - Maya was doing her numbers in about 29 minutes per game. Bree is closer to 20 or 21. Pretty stunning because if you round it out to equal minutes, Bree is a fair amount better.
That Maya eventually averaged 29 minutes is actually pretty much irrelevant to the comparison. As the season goes on Breanna's minutes per game will also increase, but so will the difficulty of the games. Maya through the same point in her college career had played only 2 more minutes than Breanna, and was if anything more impressive statistically.

NAME MIN FGM FGA 3M 3PA FTM FTA OR DR PF AS TO B S PTS
Maya 109 38 57 4 9 13 18 18 14 7 19 6 9 12 93
Breanna 107 34 52 6 12 15 19 7 24 9 5 6 8 6 89

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That Maya eventually averaged 29 minutes is actually pretty much irrelevant to the comparison. As the season goes on Breanna's minutes per game will also increase, but so will the difficulty of the games. Maya through the same point in her college career had played only 2 more minutes than Breanna, and was if anything more impressive statistically.

MIN FGM FGA 3M 3PA FTM FTA OR DR PF AS TO B S PTS
Maya 109 38 57 4 9 13 18 18 14 7 19 6 9 12 93
Breanna 107 34 52 6 12 15 19 7 24 9 5 6 8 6 89
Seeing as I didn't have Maya's minutes per game thru her first 5 games, all I looked at were her MPG for the season, so it was completely relevant. But hey thanks for trying to stick your nose in.

It is my opinion that Breanna has more potential and when all is said and done, will be the greatest college basketball player of all time, and yes, better than Maya.

Reaction Score
The core of the point was about using statistics, not about whether Maya or Breanna will be regarded as the better player. I haven't yet voiced an opinion on that second subject, and apparently the answer might surprise you.

You talked about extrapolating 5 games out to compare against a full season like it would be a fair comparison. If you want to say Breanna is the greatest ever then that's just a matter of opinion. If you want to reinforce that opinion with a faulty statistical argument that's a different story, and crosses a personal pet peeve of mine.

Seeing as I didn't have Maya's minutes per game thru her first 5 games, all I looked at were her MPG for the season, so it was completely relevant. But hey thanks for trying to stick your nose in.

It is my opinion that Breanna has more potential and when all is said and done, will be the greatest college basketball player of all time, and yes, better than Maya.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The core of the point was about using statistics, not about whether Maya or Breanna will be regarded as the better player. I haven't yet voiced an opinion on that second subject, and apparently the answer might surprise you.

You talked about extrapolating 5 games out to compare against a full season like it would be a fair comparison. If you want to say Breanna is the greatest ever then that's just a matter of opinion. If you want to reinforce that opinion with a faulty statistical argument that's a different story, and crosses a personal pet peeve of mine.
I never said Breanna is the greatest. I wish you would read before you post. It would help a lot for sure.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I am not sure I can vote. You didn't put up "best college player of all time" because that's what I think she will be.

And you said...

I realize Maya set the bar pretty high. However, two things. First, Diana is my all time greatest UCONN player ever and Maya is my #2. Diana scored far less than Maya did any way you look at it, so it's not all about scoring points.

Second, I don't have Maya's stats game by game, but her freshman year she averaged 17.8 PPG in 29.5 minutes per game. So far thru 4 games Breanna is averaging 18.0 PPG in 21.5 minutes per game.

It's a very small sample - 4 games - but my opinion at this time is that Bree has a legit chance to win 4 NC's, something not even Diana did, and break Maya's scoring record.

I know it's not all about the scoring, or the statistics. Not to make less of the teams that Maya played on, but at this point, there is more talent on UCONN's roster than at any time during Maya's career, and if Bree even comes close to any of Maya's statistical accomplishments given the ridiculous amount of talent on the current roster.

I know some may disagree with my last statement, but starters of Renee, Mel, Charde, Maya and Tina don't compare to Bria, Kelly, KML, Breanna and Stef. And the bench strength now blows away anything Maya ever had on her teams.

My point is so much more was accomplished by Maya in part because so much more was needed from her...

And you, also, said ...

You did say these that sounds a heck of a lot like best ever and then gave the second and the third. All scotter did was provide the stats you said you did't have.

Actually, the stats which scooter posted show them to remarkably similar.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You did say these that sounds a heck of a lot like best ever and then gave the second and the third. All scotter did was provide the stats you said you did't have.

Actually, the stats which scooter posted show them to remarkably similar.
And where did I say that Bree IS the best ever? as in currently? never said it and won't say it till she's towards the end of her career. not sure why you felt the need to stick your nose in, but again, you need to read what i wrote. I NEVER said she IS the best ever.

The point of this thread was "when her career is done, where will you rank her?" AND I specifically said several times that it is my opinion Bree has more potential and therefore I voted that she will be the best ever when her career is over. Good grief it's 5 games into her college career. :rolleyes:

But hey if people want to keep arguing the minutia of what I said, have at it. But what I said is there in black and white so it's sort of like arguing that the sky is red.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Eric, you said, "You didn't put up "best college player of all time" because that's what I think she will be."

That sure sounds like the best ever to me. The thread isn't about what she is it IS about what she will be, the other part was comparing Maya's first four games and Breanna's but parse it all if you must. You ignored that scotter simply gave stats you said you didn't have putting the two on even comparison and then criticized him for doing so. Where was the offense in that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You said, "You didn't put up "best college player of all time" because that's what I think she will be."
Come on Ice, knock it off. I said "i think it is what she will be" not "it is what she is now, and that's what Scotter said i said. Please stop with this nonsense.

If you are going to continue to argue this then you need to read what both of us said. You should have either read it all or kept your nose out of it. I can certainly acknowledge if i got facts wrong (which I did in comparing Bree's stats thru 5 games to Maya's for the year), but when someone claims i said something i did not, and it's in black and white, then it becomes ridiculous when someone else continues to argue about it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You mean when you slammed scotter for sticking his nose in it. Eric it is all on you.

I read everything you both read and posted your words because I'm not sure you read what you wrote.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You mean when you slammed scotter for sticking his nose in it. Eric it is all on you.

I read everything you both read and posted your words because I'm not sure you read what you wrote.
I really wish you would just end it Ice. Not sure what you keep arguing about, but please just stop. First you are whining saying I said something i didn't. now you are arguing about something else. again not sure why, but there it is.

so do you still really think I said Bree currently is the best of all time, or were you wrong about that? Let's get our english straight please. Cuz that's what you "accused" me of at first.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Isuspect that how she will be rated in the end will be influenced by how good and how complimentary those around her are.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I really wish you would just end it Ice. Not sure what you keep arguing about, but please just stop. First you are whining saying I said something i didn't. now you are arguing about something else. again not sure why, but there it is.

so do you still really think I said Bree currently is the best of all time, or were you wrong about that? Let's get our english straight please. Cuz that's what you "accused" me of at first.
Not whining at all holding you accountable. It is something you don't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom