Calipari is the worst..... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calipari is the worst.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Seniors aren't factored in they have 16 with poythress gone.

Again outside of Murray. The rest are not getting drafted. Briscoe and Lee are nowhere close to being ready. Briscoe needs to improve his jumpshot ten fold. Lee is a one cat guy. There are plenty of guys that can rebound and run in transition. ULIS is 5'9....5'9...that's 2 inches shorter than Boatright who has a championship and shot 10 points higher from beyond the arc (the only place a guy like Ulis would be shooting in the NBA, he is 31%). He is not going if he has anybody with half a brain in his corner. And Skal, I mean come on. Maybe, maybe on potential he gets drafted in the Late/Late first or second. But 6.8 and 3.2. Even Calipari only used him 16 minutes a game.

I love how you're speaking in absolutes though.
Ulis may be shorter in height than Boat but he is much longer in arm-span. With his talent, I think he will be a good pro.

Reaction Score
Just another "Cal Show" for the parents who actually buy into him doing what's best for his kids. Plus he needs to get rid of some deadweight on occasion to open up the roster for promises made to others.

Bashing or not, he's despicable.

Reaction Score
Ulis may be shorter in height than Boat but he is much longer in arm-span. With his talent, I think he will be a good pro.

I agree Harry will latch on. Good quickness, can defend on the perimeter and shoots it better than people give him credit for, has a real nice pull up game. He will be a very good back up as the years go on I believe.

Reaction Score
We can only hope that antics like this one will possibly give the kids a few years out and further on down the road the reason to say "wait a second, maybe I shouldn't go to Kentucky"

It has happened a few times where it seems guys are either pushed to the back of the bench or pressured to declare for the draft even if they aren't as ready as they should be, but maybe once it has become 'the story' about Kentucky rather than just it being an NBA draft factory we'll see some consequence.

Anybody in the film community who can start putting together an eye-opening documentary about how kids who were told they'd be NBA stars if they came to Kentucky are stuck in Turkey or Australia? I'm assuming at least a Harrison brother has to be languishing overseas, right?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This reminds me of when Pitino forced Rodrick Rhodes to transfer. Rhodes didn't develop at Kentucky but Pitino already had him out the door so he could give the scholarship to a new recruit. Ricky tried using the press to get Rhodes to declare for the draft (which he was not ready for) and when that didn't work, he claimed Rhodes told him he was transferring (when the kid didn't want to leave).

If nothing else, Kentucky knows how to hire scum bags to coach their program.

Reaction Score
yeah i remembered that after the fact. was just looking at height, but nate was 20+ lbs bigger than Ulis. But I wasn't necessarily comparing them - just going at OP's argument that 5'9" guys can't make it in the NBA.

How many 5'9 players have played in the NBA in lets say the last 50 years? Take that number and divide it by the total number of NBA players to play in that ERA. Then tell me how many of those kids were drafted? Then how many left early and got drafted. The kid is probably 5'8 160. What you see him doing to D1 players is not indicative of what he will be able to do to NBA professionals. Look at Shabazz. He was easily better his last year than Ulis, and he had 3 more inches at least and a much better shot, especially off the dribble. And the only reason he got drafted in the first round was because of LeBron. And now look at his career. DNP's. Ulis will never make it in the NBA. Don't be fooled by the Kentucky allure and the fact that he can carve up a D1 defense. He gets eaten alive at the next level.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of when Pitino forced Rodrick Rhodes to transfer. Rhodes didn't develop at Kentucky but Pitino already had him out the door so he could give the scholarship to a new recruit. Ricky tried using the press to get Rhodes to declare for the draft (which he was not ready for) and when that didn't work, he claimed Rhodes told him he was transferring (when the kid didn't want to leave).

If nothing else, Kentucky knows how to hire scum bags to coach their program.
From Wiki:
In 2011, Rhodes was hired to coach at Cordia High School in Knott County, Kentucky. In 2014, the Kentucky High School Athletic Association leveled severe sanctions against the Cordia basketball program for a laundry list of blatant violations of KHSAA rules. KHSAA commissioner Julian Tackett stated that Cordia's violations under Rhodes "represent what may well be the most wanton and blatant disregard for association rules in its 97-year history."

Reaction Score
Just another "Cal Show" for the parents who actually buy into him doing what's best for his kids. Plus he needs to get rid of some deadweight on occasion to open up the roster for promises made to others.

Bashing or not, he's despicable.
Exactly. His tactics are not in the best interests of the kids but he manages to convince the parents and the media that he cares about his players. In the end, his tactics always guarantees that he will have one of the top 3 or 4 most talented teams on the floor. People call KO a great recruiter. What does that make the squid? They will make a run at the final four 3 out of every 4 years and have a shot at winning it all about every fourth year. Whether he succeeds at getting the shot at the championship depends on whether there is a Anthony Davis or Carmello Anthony in the class and he goes after that kid. Skal was clearly not at that level.

Reaction Score
Taking the under. 3 will leave and all 3 will get drafted.

Championships are nice at the college level, but really don't factor in when it comes to the NBA Draft. The fact that Boatright has a championship does not discount the fact that Ulis is a better player than Boatright was as a sophomore. Also, Nate Robinson is 5'9" and was drafted 21st overall (albeit 20 lbs heavier than Ulis). Ulis has talent - he'll get drafted and play in the NBA.

Labissiere will probably be drafted on potential, but later in the 1st round.

It's like these people stopped following basketball in 1998. Guys don't wait until they're stars to go pro.

Reaction Score
Ulis height is not a problem because he went to Kentucky. It's the sad truth for players like boatright, who is a better player than Ulis(barley but I think his defense puts him over the edge), will never get the chance because the media won't hype them like Ulis. Ulis is great though, fun to watch, a Kentucky player I can actually root for. He'll be a first rounder if he leaves and should carve out a role somewhere.
Ulis is a much better player than Boat was at the same stage, Boat couldn't be trusted to do much when Bazz wasn't on the floor with him his sophomore year and really most of his junior year until the postseason. I'm not sure if he makes it as an NBA player but its basically the same issue as Isiah Thomas when he left as a junior, he's not getting any taller so playing all 4 years isn't going to improve his stock much. But if you have to choose between players strictly on talent I'm taking him over Boat in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't see a problem with this. Let the players declare (without hiring an agent) so they can see where they are projected to go in the draft. If the player isn't a first round caliber player, let him go back to school. I would be fine if Ollie did the same thing with our players too.

Reaction Score
We can only hope that antics like this one will possibly give the kids a few years out and further on down the road the reason to say "wait a second, maybe I shouldn't go to Kentucky"

It has happened a few times where it seems guys are either pushed to the back of the bench or pressured to declare for the draft even if they aren't as ready as they should be, but maybe once it has become 'the story' about Kentucky rather than just it being an NBA draft factory we'll see some consequence.

Anybody in the film community who can start putting together an eye-opening documentary about how kids who were told they'd be NBA stars if they came to Kentucky are stuck in Turkey or Australia? I'm assuming at least a Harrison brother has to be languishing overseas, right?

I keep thinking this too, but it doesnt seem to have an affect. I look at last season with the Harrison Twins and Dakari Johnson being forced out I cant help but think clearly they were not ready and if they played for another school they would have been welcomed back with open arms and had a chance to better position themselves in the NBA draft the following year. Even some of the kids that did get drafted, what became of them? Doron Lamb, Marques Teague, Daniel Orton... Even Arch goodwin, he is OK but he isnt tearing the league up. James Young is still young in the league, but he's not killing it. Kyle Wiltjer would probably be suffering the same fate as some of these guys had he stayed at UK, actually he probably would have been pushed into the draft last year with the twins and Johnson.

I think players coming from high school see 1 of 2 things. 1, yea that it didnt work out for Lamb, but I'm a much better player, i'm more like Anthony Davis, and it worked out for him. Or 2. Daniel Orton wasnt that good, yet he still was a first round pick. If I can hide my deficiencies for a year on a really stacked team that wins alot of games, I can still go in the 1st round in the draft just because I played for Kentucky.

But yea there are alot of guys who went early from UK and what are they doing now?How long until they wont be in the league anymore?

The good players are impressive though, i guess that helps. Wall, Cousins, Knight, Kanter, Bledsoe, AD, MKG (not great not bad though), and now KAT and booker look good (sure i'm leaving some out). Seems like the kids only see the good glamorous stories and nobody really talks about the guys that came in highly ranked and just didnt do much at UK in a short period of time and were forced out before they were ready because the next crop of potential 1 and dones are on the way in.

I would think more kids would look at that and say, eh, maybe i'll choose a different school.

Reaction Score
Ulis is a much better player than Boat was at the same stage, Boat couldn't be trusted to do much when Bazz wasn't on the floor with him his sophomore year and really most of his junior year until the postseason. I'm not sure if he makes it as an NBA player but its basically the same issue as Isiah Thomas when he left as a junior, he's not getting any taller so playing all 4 years isn't going to improve his stock much. But if you have to choose between players strictly on talent I'm taking him over Boat in a heartbeat.
Good point he probably won't get better. If ulis is a first round pick this must be a historically weak draft, you don't draft 5'9 pgs who aren't tier 1 athletes, modern NBA offenses just abuse little guys with the screening. But he might as well throw his hat in the ring.

Cal making a big deal about this and talking about walk ons declaring is hilarious , the guy is thirsty for attention after not making the sweet 16

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that has no real issue w/ Cal doing this? Why do most kids go to Kentucky, or other major programs? to get to the NBA. If they NBA interested the kid will not be invited to the combines - he knows he has work to do. If he is invited he can weigh the feedback from NBA and consult with his family and coaches to make the decision that is best for him. Cal isn't pushing anyone out - he is simply saying his kids have an opportunity to get advice about their potential careers and they should all take advantage of that opportunity. Most of these guys have a short window where they can get in the league and make millions of dollars. Each kid can enter the draft 3 times now, so what harm is it doing?

Sure he might be using this for some publicity, but I see this more as him pushing the NCAA's buttons. Sure he still comes off as a used car salesman, but at least he doesn't toe the NCAA company line like Coach K or Roy. He doesn't try to undermine their futures like Boeheim.

To me he is one of the only guys that sells the one and dones straight. "Come play for me and I will make money off of your success, but I will make sure people know who you are and try to get you into the NBA." Is he the best at actually preparing the players? That can be debated.

Quite honestly I would expect some of our own players to do the same this year and going forward. If you want to play in the NBA it makes sense to test the waters. It is amazing that the NCAA actually changed the rules to seemingly benefit the players for once, and they should all take advantage of that.

In case there is any confusion I still don't like Cal, I just dislike the NCAA more.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Am I the only one that has no real issue w/ Cal doing this? Why do most kids go to Kentucky, or other major programs? to get to the NBA. If they NBA interested the kid will not be invited to the combines - he knows he has work to do. If he is invited he can weigh the feedback from NBA and consult with his family and coaches to make the decision that is best for him. Cal isn't pushing anyone out - he is simply saying his kids have an opportunity to get advice about their potential careers and they should all take advantage of that opportunity. Most of these guys have a short window where they can get in the league and make millions of dollars. Each kid can enter the draft 3 times now, so what harm is it doing?

Sure he might be using this for some publicity, but I see this more as him pushing the NCAA's buttons. Sure he still comes off as a used car salesman, but at least he doesn't toe the NCAA company line like Coach K or Roy. He doesn't try to undermine their futures like Boeheim.

To me he is one of the only guys that sells the one and dones straight. "Come play for me and I will make money off of your success, but I will make sure people know who you are and try to get you into the NBA." Is he the best at actually preparing the players? That can be debated.

Quite honestly I would expect some of our own players to do the same this year and going forward. If you want to play in the NBA it makes sense to test the waters. It is amazing that the NCAA actually changed the rules to seemingly benefit the players for once, and they should all take advantage of that.

In case there is any confusion I still don't like Cal, I just dislike the NCAA more.
Last line is key here. Calipari is pretty gross, but honestly not nearly as bad as the NCAA, or some of his contemporaries. Rick Pitino, for one.

Reaction Score
The issue is that he is saying it's all about the kids...it's all about the kids. I want to make them rich and have a future. That's true for the AD, Wall, Cousins of his teams but the fact of the matter is...he is pushing kids out that are not ready so that he can have open spots for the next crop of freshman. The Harrison twins could have benefited from coming back another year. Lee will declare this year and he may be drafted in the second round, but this kid will never amount to much in the NBA. Ullis I do believe will get drafted but he's not in the same stratosphere athletically as Isaiah Thomas or Nate Rob, I highly doubt he will become much of a pro. If Briscoe and Skal declare....it's a real shame because Briscoe can't make a shot outside 15ft and Skal is just not ready yet. Skal has the potential to be something but he should come back for another year. All in all, someone just needs to call him on his b/s......he's doing this for himself not for the kids.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's the sad truth for players like boatright, who is a better player than Ulis(barley but I think his defense puts him over the edge)

I think you and Boat's mom might be the only two person on earth who think that.

Ulis averaged 17 points and 7 assists, with a 3.5 a/to ratio. That's sick.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Please don't compare Ulis to Nate Robinson, they aren't even on the same planet athletically and at 10 years old Nate Robinson was built like Tyler Ulis is now.

I agree they shouldn't get compared: Ulis can dribble a basketball.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Please don't compare Ulis to Nate Robinson, they aren't even on the same planet athletically and at 10 years old Nate Robinson was built like Tyler Ulis is now.

At 10 years old Nate Robinson was probably throwing down 360 dunks.

Reaction Score
What I find funny is that some of the same people that are now saying that the NBA GMs don't draft based on what team a kid plays for, or the exposure he had as a result, are the same people that say the kids go to Kentucky because it gives them a better chance to get into the NBA and exposure is the main reason cited. So does KO lose recruits to Kentucky because they play NBA basketball and get exposure for their kids or not? If the team they play for doesn't help get them into the NBA, but they still think it does, are they stupid or is the squid lying to them? If they don't think that, and he isn't lying to them because he is such a great guy, but they all still climb all over each other to go there, why?

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
The issue is that he is saying it's all about the kids...it's all about the kids. I want to make them rich and have a future. That's true for the AD, Wall, Cousins of his teams but the fact of the matter is...he is pushing kids out that are not ready so that he can have open spots for the next crop of freshman. The Harrison twins could have benefited from coming back another year. Lee will declare this year and he may be drafted in the second round, but this kid will never amount to much in the NBA. Ullis I do believe will get drafted but he's not in the same stratosphere athletically as Isaiah Thomas or Nate Rob, I highly doubt he will become much of a pro. If Briscoe and Skal declare....it's a real shame because Briscoe can't make a shot outside 15ft and Skal is just not ready yet. Skal has the potential to be something but he should come back for another year. All in all, someone just needs to call him on his b/s.he's doing this for himself not for the kids.

Declaring for the draft does not mean they are not eligible to return to school. It actually makes things much more straight forward for the players. If they get invited to the combine they will know the NBA is interested in them, then they can try out and get feedback directly from NBA teams. They can decide to go back to school if they are not ready. If they dont get invited to the combine they can just withdraw. Calipari isn't pushing anyone out, and the Harrison twins didnt have this option last year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
yeah i remembered that after the fact. was just looking at height, but nate was 20+ lbs bigger than Ulis. But I wasn't necessarily comparing them - just going at OP's argument that 5'9" guys can't make it in the NBA.

Isaiah Thomas is doing it right now.

Hell, smaller guys than that have played in the league. But when you get down low, your athleticism has to be inversely proportional to your height. Ridiculous speed, quickness, strength and hops.

Reaction Score
Declaring for the draft does not mean they are not eligible to return to school. It actually makes things much more straight forward for the players. If they get invited to the combine they will know the NBA is interested in them, then they can try out and get feedback directly from NBA teams. They can decide to go back to school if they are not ready. If they dont get invited to the combine they can just withdraw. Calipari isn't pushing anyone out, and the Harrison twins didnt have this option last year.

He's going to pressure them out.....like the OP said they don't have enough scholarships for everyone that is coming in next year. Along with the chance they may get Bolden. You can't have 20 scholarship players. Hence my point.....he is going to push people out. My post had nothing to do with him putting in all his players to get a look. Whatever that's fine with me, but it doesn't change the fact that some people are going to have to leave the Kentucky program that are not ready to leave.

Reaction Score
His wingspan is .5 inch longer than Boat. I'm amazed that some are talking about Ulis being a lottery pick. He's 5'8 with a slight build, not much of a jumpshot and is not a freak athlete. Off the top of my head only guys I ever remember that made it in the league at that size who were that short and slight and weren't freak athletes are Michael Adams, Greg Grant, Keith Jennings and Earl Boykins. They were all marginal players except for Adams.

Reaction Score
Again, Isaiah Thomas is built like a brick thouse and is a freak athlete, that's almost like comparing Ulis to Nate Robinson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom