Calipari - Hall of Fame? | The Boneyard

Calipari - Hall of Fame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Any coach who lets another team run out the clock in a National Championship game instead of fouling because he "knew they were going to make them" should be automatically disqualified from Hall of Fame consideration.

He should be in the UCONN Hall of Fame for that decision.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Any coach who lets another team run out the clock in a National Championship game instead of fouling because he "knew they were going to make them" should be automatically disqualified from Hall of Fame consideration.

wasn't that florida?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

With the cornucopia of reasons why the Squid should never make the HOF, that's the one that go with?

Reaction Score
wasn't that florida?

It was both teams who didn't foul in the situation. Florida was down 8 or 10, but UK was only down 4 points. We weren't going to miss.

Reaction Score
Migs said:
It was both teams who didn't foul in the situation. Florida was down 8 or 10, but UK was only down 4 points. We weren't going to miss.
Calipari let us take the clock from like 1:30 to :25 without fouling, down 4 points. Then UK ran a horrible double team that left kromah wide open at the baseline where he fouled giving us a 6 point lead. I can understand not fouling with 1:30 but once we got the rebound that has to be a foul. It was not a well coached final 2 min for calipari.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
This really goes to show how America likes "flash" over substance. I mean come on, a guy who single handedly dismantled 2 programs before jumping ship (I know he "wasnt implicated" yatatata but thats how the best in the game do it, use middle men so that when inevitably hits the fan they have plausible deniability, plus hes the captain of his ship, he should know whats going on in his program and hes always responsible in my book). Now hes at a blue blood with media support up the a** and is winning games and everyone "loves" the guy, so much so that hes getting an expedited fast lane to the Basketball Hall of Fame. Moral of the story: Style > Substance

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
ESPN never discusses the fact that while indeed he led 3 different teams to the FF, he last led 2 of them to tearing down their FF banners.

NO
ESPN has a direct financial incentive to not mention that and to act as if it never happened. Cal is the coach at UK, with the biggest and easily most profitable fan base in the country. Making this fan base happy is the easiest way for ESPN to win, so as a result they will never say a bad thing about the guy. Which is why a program's "brand" and image are so important. When you have a brand like UK's, you can literally force your way to dominance right after a trainwreck of a coach like Gillespie, simply because you have so many resources, media and financial factors in your favor.

Reaction Score
ESPN never discusses the fact that while indeed he led 3 different teams to the FF, he last led 2 of them to tearing down their FF banners.

NO

ESPN isn't the only one. The whole week Francesa was basically eating steak dinners at the mic praising him and refuting any negative call ins.

Francesa also claimed he didn't know what was going on at Syracuse so he quickly dismissed the call.

Reaction Score
These schools pay PR firms to cover it up. I'm just waiting for the objective journalism to come out of Kentucky and Syracuse:

The N&O reports more than three-quarters of a million dollars has been spent by UNC in recent months alone just to fight bad press. The PR battle -- which is now going meta, as we report on how much the school has spent just to shove down stories like this -- has been long and costly.

And has it really worked? The answer would appear to be a resounding "no."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...er-1-million-in-pr-costs-for-academic-scandal

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/11/18/4333832_firm-charging-unc-165-million.html?rh=1

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The HoF clearly doesn't care what the NCAA thinks, so I expect him to get in. Although they made JC wait a year.

Reaction Score
even in that UMass poll it's 51-49% against.

I like how in the comments section, they are all negative.

Notice how the article mentions his brands?:

"Refuse to Lose"
"One and Done"
"Succeed and Proceed"

The guy's a sleaze merchant. I remember watching the UMass Basketball Show with John Calipari in the mid 90's, and everything was about how he and UMass ("me", "us", "we") did everything better and differently. Arrogant SOB. Only cares about himself as a businessman.

Reaction Score
I think the thread title has a typo. I've fixed it below.

Calipari - Hall of Shame?

Reaction Score
I know this opinion won't be popular, but Calipari belongs in the HOF. Yes, he's a scumbag, but he's gonna have multiple titles and a whole lot of Final Fours when all is said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom