Calipari - Hall of Fame? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Calipari - Hall of Fame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I know this opinion won't be popular, but Calipari belongs in the HOF. Yes, he's a scumbag, but he's gonna have multiple titles and a whole lot of Final Fours when all is said and done.

Let him go a decade without scandal. Then consider him. If he were to get in now, it'd be a joke.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Let him go a decade without scandal. Then consider him. If he were to get in now, it'd be a joke.

Yeah, this is about right. Every coach bends the rules including Coach K, Dean Smith, John Thompson and Bob Knight. Squid is about as brazen as it gets. All that's missing is him passing out hundos on the bench.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this is about right. Every coach bends the rules including Coach K, Dean Smith, John Thompson and Bob Knight. Squid is about as brazen as it gets. All that's missing is him passing out hundos on the bench.
I have no doubt he was shady at UMass and Memphis, but I highly doubt he needs to cheat at Kentucky.

He's also a really good basketball coach, even if people on here don't want to admit that. (Not a great coach, but good.)

Reaction Score
I get that people hate Cal - and there are legitimate reasons to dislike him - but I can't wrap my mind around the fact that people have directed their anger at him in the Derrick Rose saga and not at the NCAA. If I'm remembering correctly, the NCAA investigated him before the season, cleared him to play, and then retroactively declared him ineligible and stripped Memphis's wins. That's pure incompetence.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I get that people hate Cal - and there are legitimate reasons to dislike him - but I can't wrap my mind around the fact that people have directed their anger at him in the Derrick Rose saga and not at the NCAA. If I'm remembering correctly, the NCAA investigated him before the season, cleared him to play, and then retroactively declared him ineligible and stripped Memphis's wins. That's pure incompetence.
Thats a whole different issue. Stick with this one. Hall of Fame or not?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
ESPN isn't the only one. The whole week Francesa was basically eating steak dinners at the mic praising him and refuting any negative call ins.

Francesa also claimed he didn't know what was going on at Syracuse so he quickly dismissed the call.

he's a fat piece of crap who claims to know all blabs on about nothing. his prognostications are the worse. thanks for the report because I wont listen to the dolt

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
People still listen to Francessa? I might listen to Russo on satellite before I would ever listen to the biggest - I mean biggest - on radio ...

Reaction Score
People still listen to Francessa? I might listen to Russo on satellite before I would ever listen to the biggest - I mean biggest - on radio ...

C'mon Bone - Russo is a tennis player who knows nothing. Mike can be a and arrogant but tell me a radio personality who isn't? Just listen to the Boston guys on WEEI and the one thing you understand, at least Francessa knows something!

Reaction Score
Thats a whole different issue. Stick with this one. Hall of Fame or not?
I think he should have to wait. If his team goes undefeated this year then it gives him a big notch on his resume. Its wierd because i think he should be in but theres just something that bothers me about it. It just doesnt seem legit somehow with him. I completely expect one day to wake up and see the news that uk has to vacate some final fours. I think the guys is a good not great nevermind elite coach but he is definitely an elite recruiter. I give him some credit but with amount of talent he has stock piled at uk you better be in the final four every year.

Reaction Score
How embarrassing will it be for the HoF 10 years from now when they have to sand blast all of his championship titles from his plaque?

Reaction Score
I think it is not clear cut. He has won where he has coached but he left a ruin at UMass when he left. The case could be made that he should do more with what he has every year at UK. He is no Jim Calhoun or Coach K, but how many coaches are at that level? It seems that every coach that lasts more than 10 years and has a winning record makes HOFs, so maybe there are just too many and the level required to reach it is not that difficult. All in all, I would say he is a very good coach but not a great one.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
"I want to thank the people at UMass, Memphis and Kentucky for giving Ellen (his wife) and I an opportunity to coach at three great institutions. I want to thank all the assistants and staff who have worked for us over the years, as well as the people in the community who have added value to our lives. Most importantly, I want to thank all of the players who have let us coach them and all of the parents who entrusted us with their son. Thank you."

Went a little too far in trying to say, "It's not about me."

Reaction Score
I'll be surprised if he doesn't go back to the NBA sooner than later. Maybe even after this year if they end up going undefeated.

His ego eventually won't allow him to stay in college

Reaction Score
Its a Hall of FAME, not a Hall of Great, Honest, and Respectable.

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
"The purpose of the Honors Committee is to review carefully the selected Finalist candidate's basketball record before casting a vote in favor of or against Enshrining the person into the BHOF. There are 24 people on each Honors Committee. They include Hall of Famers, basketball executives, media members and other contributors to the game. A person needs a minimum of 18 votes from an Honors Committee to be Enshrined into the BHOF. If the Honors Committee has not elected a Finalist who has gone forth for five consecutive years, the person's candidacy will be suspended for five years and will not be considered during this time. Following this five-year period, the candidate will be eligible to be reactivated and reconsidered by the appropriate Screening Committee."

Depends on who is on the committee (I can't find a list of members), but will 75% vote him in?

My guess is probably yes. He's never actually been implicated in any of the scandals and his career credentials are similar, if not better, than Gary Williams who was inducted last year.

Reaction Score
It's going to be YES. I mean has anyone watched TV lately? He's adored by so many wing nuts from the media he can't be left out. It's not just the dopey parents who believe he's a "GREAT" coach it's everyone who doesn't do any homework on the fraud.

He's a good coach, really good even maybe. But this isn't the Hall of Damn Good Coaches is it? I mean I can be undefeated coaching that team with Fishy, Deepster and swami as my assistants for crying out loud.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
If Calipari deserves to be in the basketball Hall of Fame, then so does World Wide Wes. Hell, lets give Bank of America a nomination as well.

Reaction Score
BBall Hall of Fame has always been too inclusive IMO. I mean Mitch Richmond?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom