Calipari getting his own 30 for 30 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Calipari getting his own 30 for 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes a victim. How would he know that some of his players couldn't qualify at Memphis? Its like a southern Ivy league school. Much like Alabama Tractor Trailer School.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Remember the discussion about UConn's perception not being as bad as we think the other day in the other thread?

Well yea, if more people cared they would make an 30 for 30. Cal hasn't even retired yet and he's had several of these, because it sells.

Reaction Score
Does anyone on this board care that our 06 team had a record of 1st round picks at the time, that was of course before the one and done rule.

Reaction Score
Remember the discussion about UConn's perception not being as bad as we think the other day in the other thread?

Well yea, if more people cared they would make an 30 for 30. Cal hasn't even retired yet and he's had several of these, because it sells.

Meh, I haven't see one for Coach K either. Maybe you should do one.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Does anyone on this board care that our 06 team had a record of 1st round picks at the time, that was of course before the one and done rule.

No because they lost to a team that had not one single minute of NBA on it.

Reaction Score
No because they lost to a team that had not one single minute of NBA on it.

Exactly my point you dont see anyone on this board caring about those 1st round picks (not that its a bad thing),means nothing if you dont win it all. You see people glorifying UK having 1st round picks and they are all one and dones, they would be 1st round picks any where.

Reaction Score
He had the right idea. Don't worry about sanctions or anything like that at your stepping stone schools. Kids care about making the NBA not having their college wins vacated. Build up a reputation of getting kids to the NBA even if they would have walked into the lottery and eventually you can stop cheating and have success and get any recruits you want

Reaction Score
He's a hell of a recruiter. That lottery ticket part almost convinced me to commit to UK myself lmao

the Q

Reaction Score
Exactly my point you dont see anyone on this board caring about those 1st round picks (not that its a bad thing),means nothing if you dont win it all. You see people glorifying UK having 1st round picks and they are all one and dones, they would be 1st round picks any where.

The fact that he does it over and over and over again I think is what makes it matter to kids. The consistency of high picks

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I thought the same thing. Calhoun building a program which was a perenial doormat into a national power in one of the toughest conferences in the country is absolutely incredible and a story id love to see even if not a UConn fan.
UCONN was a perenial doormat for a few years in the Big East. It was considered a regional power in basketball before the Big East. A few down years do not make a perennial doormat.

Reaction Score
The number of omissions from that documentary were hilarious.

And you guys know that Lou Roe STILL lives in an off-campus house bought and paid for by a booster? Because 1.) I've been in his house and 2.) I know the guy who paid for it *realllllly* well.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The fact that he does it over and over and over again I think is what makes it matter to kids. The consistency of high picks
And these kids who were/are all considered to be Top 5 in their positions and could walk off the High School floor and into the NBA - none would have been lottery picks if they didn't share an eight month experience with The Squid?????
The guy is a scumbag and a snake oil saleman - period
Anyone who hung around college basketball as long as he did could sound like he knows how to coach

the Q

Reaction Score
And these kids who were/are all considered to be Top 5 in their positions and could walk off the High School floor and into the NBA - none would have been lottery picks if they didn't share an eight month experience with The Squid?????
The guy is a scumbag and a snake oil saleman - period
Anyone who hung around college basketball as long as he did could sound like he knows how to coach

I'm not disagreeing with you.

But you can't say it's not one heck of a marketing pitch...especially compared to say....Rick Barnes?

There's gotta be SOME value in not screwing guys up.

Reaction Score
Listen I despise the Squid in a huge way. I know he rubbed a lot of coaches the wrong way besides our own Jim Calhoun but he still did a great job of getting UMass on the map for while. His coaching technique was more in the rah rah style but the man could coach a little and it took a lot of ability to get them to buy into his plan. The Barba's, Herndon's, Travieso's, Padilla's, Kellogg's, Roe's and of course Camby was a solid core which he did some real good things with. I mean he also ran what would seem to be a sketchy program at best, but he did his best coaching when being the underdog so that's about all the credit I can give him. Since then with better players he's been good, but not great at all.

No matter he's not likable and the fact they would have a 30 30 on him before so many other deserving coaches does really tell you how pitiful ESPN had become.

Reaction Score
Look, if he had stayed at UMass it's certainly possible that it could have become a UConn-type program over time. Watching the documentary I can't help noticing the parallels between his 'building job' there and Calhoun's. (I was too young to remember it when it happening.)

And yes, they will make a UConn-related 30 for 30. The real question is whether either Geno or Jim will want to "split" a 30 for 30 (15 for 15?) with the other one. If they discuss how they disliked each other, that would be fun.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Listen I despise the Squid in a huge way. I know he rubbed a lot of coaches the wrong way besides our own Jim Calhoun but he still did a great job of getting UMass on the map for while. His coaching technique was more in the rah rah style but the man could coach a little and it took a lot of ability to get them to buy into his plan. The Barba's, Herndon's, Travieso's, Padilla's, Kellogg's, Roe's and of course Camby was a solid core which he did some real good things with. I mean he also ran what would seem to be a sketchy program at best, but he did his best coaching when being the underdog so that's about all the credit I can give him. Since then with better players he's been good, but not great at all.

No matter he's not likable and the fact they would have a 30 30 on him before so many other deserving coaches does really tell you how pitiful ESPN had become.

What fascinates me is that this creep is in the Hall of Fame
How many coaches had two - not one - final four banners be brought down due to NCAA violations?
How many inductees had two schools boycott the induction and one school not even recognize it (Memphis)?
What was his record in the NBA?
Perhaps the basketball world celebrated The Squid because he dares to be different but there are many other coaches who have played by the rules and have had much legitimate success over longer periods of time
This guy is an embarrassment to coaching - in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99