Calhoun to officially take St. Joe's job | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Calhoun to officially take St. Joe's job

Reaction Score
This'll be a pretty cool opportunity for the young men joining that team.

C

Chief00

What do D3 coaches make? I bet Miller was making more as an assistant at UConn than he will be as the head coach at St. Joe's.
True, but his energies are redirected and he is still in the earning/accumulation phase rather than in the early retirement payout phase.

Reaction Score
True, but his energies are redirected and he is still in the earning/accumulation phase rather than in the early retirement payout phase.
At about 55 years old, it's unlikely Miller's in an early retirement payout phase. Looking to cover costs, to ideally accumulate some additional retirement benefits, and to obtain medical and other benefits for he and his family are far more likely.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A post on the women's board (h/t blakeon18) has me thinking. Are we sure JC won't be the coach? Perhaps he is just delaying the announcement in order to collect another year of UConn money? That Rothstein tweet "He will remain as an ambassador for UConn during the upcoming year" is curious. Why just another 1 year?
And if Miller is the coach, why not say so now?

Perhaps the scenario with AD Dave went:

"I'd like to take St. Joe's job and still pick up my yearly stipend"
"Sorry Jim, UConn is not going to pay you 300K to coach at another school"
"After everything I've done for UConn...."
"Believe me Jim, we know what you have done. How about this, we keep paying you for another year while you start the program, but once you become the coach the payments stop"
1 month later
"Deal"

Reaction Score
A post on the women's board (h/t blakeon18) has me thinking. Are we sure JC won't be the coach? Perhaps he is just delaying the announcement in order to collect another year of UConn money? That Rothstein tweet "He will remain as an ambassador for UConn during the upcoming year" is curious.
Yeah that's probably what's happening. Probably more an NCAA workaround than a UConn workaround I'd think though.

Reaction Score
I wonder if his advisement of the UConn men's basketball program just isn't as welcomed as it was at first. More by KO than the school. I'm feeling JC has been under utilized. But from KO's standpoint, do you want that shadow forever?

And by now I think it is likely that a 17 year old is less likely to know Jim than are his parents. (Not necessarily bad with the right parents). I think Jim was feeling a little marginalized and that KO wants his own car to drive.

Happy for Jim.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And by now I think it is more likely that a 17 year old is less likely to know Jim than are his parents.

I'm not sure about that. Eleven (when JC won his last title) or so is prime formative years for a sports fan. I can tell you I remember UConn BB from when I was 11. Dee Rowe coached us out of the NIT semis.

Reaction Score
I wonder if his advisement of the UConn men's basketball program just isn't as welcomed as it was at first. More by KO than the school. I'm feeling JC has been under utilized. But from KO's standpoint, do you want that shadow forever?
I firmly believe this has nothing to do with that and it's 100% JC wants to coach basketball. This is the perfect position for what he's looking for - no lengthy recruiting battles, no long trips to visit recruits around the world, no handlers, no long trips to play games around the country, no expectations of major success. He can focus on building a program in the gym and teaching kids to play the game. And on top of that his new program in no way interferes or competes with UConn in any way so there's no conflict of alliances whatsoever. At his age, this is a pretty sweet retirement gig.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score

Good for everyone involved. I'll go catch some games.

Still planning on going to some games to watch him consult? You and the 50 other people who attend most DIII games.

Reaction Score
Still planning on going to some games to watch him consult? You and the 50 other people who attend most DIII games.
I am moving 3 minutes away from USJ so yes I'll probably still go to some games. And I think it's likely he ends up as coach for their first year of games. Think this consulting role is just semantics to avoid NCAA issues while still being paid by UConn.

Reaction Score
Think this consulting role is just semantics to avoid NCAA issues while still being paid by UConn.
Correction, paid by the Foundation, a closely associated yet separate entity which raises and manages funds on behalf of UConn. In your mind, direct knowledge, in legal precedent, etc., which NCAA issues may exist @KSC94 for St. Joseph's hiring JC as an advisor/consultant and his glad handing, phone calls, fundraising assistance with the Foundation?

Last edited:

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I am moving 3 minutes away from USJ so yes I'll probably still go to some games. And I think it's likely he ends up as coach for their first year of games. Think this consulting role is just semantics to avoid NCAA issues while still being paid by UConn.

I would love to be in a tiny gym watching Calhoun coach.

Reaction Score
What NCAA issues?
There are rules pertaining to outside income when working as a coach in the NCAA. I don't know enough about them to say which. Everything up to this point, even Calhoun's quotes about the job, have been in reference to coaching. Then to bring him in, with the stipulation he'd work for UConn for one more year, bring in Miller, but not name a coach? Seems too perfectly set up for him to become coach after he's done with his UConn position.

Reaction Score
He is not coaching as Chief predicted.

I'm confused - are you saying you got it wrong (or got it right) - I thought you recently predicted Calhoun coaching again?

Last edited:
C

Chief00

This is not a Confirm but it’s what I think:
- Calhoun would coach the right D1 program but not D3.
- This gives him visibility at the college level as a program builder at his age.
- Above all else, he is not screwing up his $400k gig with UConn to play golf with donors, occasionally talk to recruits and attend some events.
- Think of how he set KO up and that’s what he is basically doing for Miller. How can they hire anyone else when he will have the recruit relationships and guidance from the architect.
- At his age he doesn’t want to do the 6 hour bus trips, etc and wants some flexibility unless it’s the ideal D1 job.

C

Chief00

I'm confused - are you saying you got it wrong (or got it right) - I thought you recently predicted Calhoun coaching again?
I did say that before the SJ stuff came out weeks ago but since then with a better understanding of his UConn situation and how much his family has enjoyed RI beach house this summer, I have been saying for a couple weeks coaching is not happening at D3. He has been telling people it’s all what Pat and his doctor allow - which gives him an out. Also, notice he did not offer to give his $400k back like Geno LOL What reporter has the moxie to ask that question?

Reaction Score

>>While all signs point to Calhoun becoming the program’s first head coach, nothing is official yet. It can’t be. Calhoun is still employed by UConn, under terms of a contract he signed when he retired after 26 years as the Huskies’ head coach in September, 2012. That contract expires at the end of March, 2018. Until then, it would be a conflict of interest for Calhoun to be coaching another college program while still employed as an ambassador for UConn.<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom