Calhoun -ACC went ville for 2 reasons: location and, more than anything, ville sold its program | The Boneyard

Calhoun -ACC went ville for 2 reasons: location and, more than anything, ville sold its program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Real quote---Calhoun believes the ACC sided with Louisville for two reasons: location and, more than anything,Louisville's ability to sell its program.

---
ok is this a slam on prez and AD

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2012/11/jim-calhoun-confident-in-uconns-future.html?m=1

Don't think it was a "slam on the prez and AD". I don't have any particular reason except my perception is that he has always had a strong personal and working relationship with them despite the fact that they(Herbst and Manual) haven't been here that long, What really pisses me off is several media outlets reporting from credible sources that Boeheim lobbied strongly against out inclusion in the ACC; and at attempted to influence Krapascrewdookski in the same direction. JC referred to Puke,Carolina,Wake and Virginia as "allies". While enjoying beating Syracuse and relishing getting under the skin of their fans, I always had respect for Boeheim and thought that he and Calhoun were friends. That's in the past. Couldn't watch the Cuse-Arkansas game tonight; and, when Syracuse comes to the XL Center on Feb.13, I hope our fans give them the send-off they so richly deserve.

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT WOLFPACK!!!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That is in no way a slam on Herbst and Manuel.

Honestly, I am close to quitting my job in order to teach reading comprehension to Connecticut residents.

Reaction Score
Don't think it was a "slam on the prez and AD". I don't have any particular reason except my perception is that he has always had a strong personal and working relationship with them despite the fact that they(Herbst and Manual) haven't been here that long, What really pisses me off is several media outlets reporting from credible sources that Boeheim lobbied strongly against out inclusion in the ACC; and at attempted to influence Krapascrewdookski in the same direction. JC referred to Puke,Carolina,Wake and Virginia as "allies". While enjoying beating Syracuse and relishing getting under the skin of their fans, I always had respect for Boeheim and thought that he and Calhoun were friends. That's in the past. Couldn't watch the Cuse-Arkansas game tonight; and, when Syracuse comes to the XL Center on Feb.13, I hope our fans give them the send-off they so richly deserve.

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT WOLFPACK!!!
unfortunately, one of my closest friends is a syracuse alum and a huge orange fan. he recently went to one of the fantasy camps boeheim's program runs over the summer for men 35 and older that pay 5k for a week reliving their glory days. anyway, as great a time he had, the one thing he came away with was how shocking it was to learn that boeheim and calhoun dislike each other. he said its all fabricated for the media but in reality, they really don't like each other one bit. the whole week, boeheim and his boys slammed calhoun and uconn.

Reaction Score

Honestly, I am close to quitting my job in order to teach reading comprehension to Connecticut residents.

How else can you read it? If we were outsold how is that not a criticism on our salesmen?

Reaction Score
Jim's timimg on retirement and replacement with an unproven coach is also a very big factor.
You guys are kidding yourself if you think the program is perserved the same way its been for the last 30 years.

There is plenty of blame to go around.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
used_cars_1980_685x385.jpg

Fishy thinks this guy was to blame. Not Susan and Warde.

Reaction Score
How else can you read it? If we were outsold how is that not a criticism on our salesmen?

Because Calhoun still doesn't have what he wants...

Edit - Meaning - why poke when Ollie situation is still not resolved?

Reaction Score

fishy please explain to us simpleton what calhoun is saying then, please... "who sells the program?"

Reaction Score
I always thought football is king. Sure selling the 'school' is very important but Louisville's timing couldn't have been better.

Strong football team this year, coaching stability in basketball, the Yum Center, etc... 2012 was a good year for Ville and they took advantage of it in their sales approach.

Our football program this year was not good, basketball under suspension, HOF coach quit/retired, HCC home court blues, etc.. If it was 2010 the results would have been different.

We will be fine in the end, as this stuff is dynamic.

Reaction Score
This is an exaggerated analogy, but if you're selling a new Lexus and I'm selling a new Kia to a high wealth individual, and they buy the Lexus, how am I a bad salesman?

Read Jeff Jacob's column in the Saturday Courant. Louisville has re-done their facilities over the past 10 years and they are bringing in more $$ now than any ACC team. Their basketball arena is gorgeous and holds 22K. Been to the Civic Center lately? In addition, the perception of UConn outside the northeast isn't overly impressive. Manuel and Herbst were at a disadvantage built over some time, certainly preceding their arrival in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Jim's timimg on retirement and replacement with an unproven coach is also a very big factor.
You guys are kidding yourself if you think the program is perserved the same way its been for the last 30 years.

There is plenty of blame to go around.

Calhoun got out of here in a hurry. You'd think he had a broken hip or something.

Reaction Score
This is an exaggerated analogy, but if you're selling a new Lexus and I'm selling a new Kia to a high wealth individual, and they buy the Lexus, how am I a bad salesman?

Read Jeff Jacob's column in the Saturday Courant. Louisville has re-done their facilities over the past 10 years and they are bringing in more $$ now than any ACC team. Their basketball arena is gorgeous and holds 22K. Been to the Civic Center lately? In addition, the perception of UConn outside the northeast isn't overly impressive. Manuel and Herbst were at a disadvantage built over some time, certainly preceding their arrival in Storrs.

That's what I call selling.

1. Louisville has not new facilities. They have a new arena and stadium. UConn has better football facilities than Louisville.
2. Ville's $$ is full of vapor. The ACC knows this. Or must know. Or should know. Ville was even with UConn last year, then they dumped a 100%+ increase in contributions into the budget taking them to the mid 80s.
3. The perception of UConn here (the negative that is) had everything to do with the fear of FSU flying the coop. The idea that UConn bball is anything but a prize nationally is questionable, and though we know UConn football brings very little to the table, we are talking about a Ville team that--in its best season in half a decade--lost back to back games against Cuse and UConn. Ville football is no prize either.

This is all called selling.

Reaction Score
I was at the coaches hotel at 2011 FF in Houston and we ended up in the restaurant bar talking to a well known coach, recently retired and he said JC didn't have many close relationships in coaching community and did say JB and JC were not "buddies." Said JB used to be a pr$ck until he won the NC and married the younger hottie wife and sort of loosened up and was a decent guy. Who knows, but seem plausible.

And for anyone who is a hoops junkie, if ur @ a FF this was the best 3 hours ever. We were introduced to Bill Self, Roy, Billy Tubbs, Lorenzo Romar among others. Was fun to get a perspective from the inside.

unfortunately, one of my closest friends is a syracuse alum and a huge orange fan. he recently went to one of the fantasy camps boeheim's program runs over the summer for men 35 and older that pay 5k for a week reliving their glory days. anyway, as great a time he had, the one thing he came away with was how shocking it was to learn that boeheim and calhoun dislike each other. he said its all fabricated for the media but in reality, they really don't like each other one bit. the whole week, boeheim and his boys slammed calhoun and uconn.

Reaction Score
Agree, good points. Will be comical when ACC implodes if Ville stuck from B12 because of the $50mm payout. How much of a genius will Jurich be if Ville never plays a game in the league he joined??

That's what I call selling.

1. Louisville has not new facilities. They have a new arena and stadium. UConn has better football facilities than Louisville.
2. Ville's $$ is full of vapor. The ACC knows this. Or must know. Or should know. Ville was even with UConn last year, then they dumped a 100%+ increase in contributions into the budget taking them to the mid 80s.
3. The perception of UConn here (the negative that is) had everything to do with the fear of FSU flying the coop. The idea that UConn bball is anything but a prize nationally is questionable, and though we know UConn football brings very little to the table, we are talking about a Ville team that--in its best season in half a decade--lost back to back games against Cuse and UConn. Ville football is no prize either.

This is all called selling.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Their basketball arena is gorgeous and holds 22K. Been to the Civic Center lately?

Sadly, this has the ring of truth to it. The XL Center is an ugly old hockey arena.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The ACC brass have been pretty clear on why they chose Louisville at this time:

Commissioner John Swofford was then asked specifically about whether football was the deciding factor in adding the Cardinals.

"The answer would be that we felt Louisville was the best fit for the Atlantic Coast Conference at this point in time in every respect," Swofford said. "When you look at Louisville, you see a university and an athletic program that has all the arrows pointed up. Tremendous uptick there, tremendous energy, so that’s my response to that. It’s always an overall fit in every respect, and I think that’s what we found."

There are a lot of phrases you could use to describe UConn football in its present state but the words "all the arrows pointed up" and "tremendous uptick" aren't among them.

Reaction Score
The ACC brass have been pretty clear on why they chose Louisville at this time:

Commissioner John Swofford was then asked specifically about whether football was the deciding factor in adding the Cardinals.

"The answer would be that we felt Louisville was the best fit for the Atlantic Coast Conference at this point in time in every respect," Swofford said. "When you look at Louisville, you see a university and an athletic program that has all the arrows pointed up. Tremendous uptick there, tremendous energy, so that’s my response to that. It’s always an overall fit in every respect, and I think that’s what we found."

There are a lot of phrases you could use to describe UConn football in its present state but the words "all the arrows pointed up" and "tremendous uptick" aren't among them.

Ville is trending up with so much tremendous energy it lost back to back games to Cuse and UConn!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ville is trending up with so much tremendous energy it lost back to back games to Cuse and UConn!!
But it's still going to a BCS bowl.

Reaction Score
One of the ironies of this mess is that BC cited the inclusion of Louisville and Cincy into the BE as the reason they wanted out of the conference.

Reaction Score
We all understand football is 95% the problem. This thread was about jc quote to borges

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

I noticed you're still growing

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
fishy please explain to us simpleton what calhoun is saying then, please... "who sells the program?"

he's simply telling us the truth, or what he thinks happened anyway.

that doesn't mean he's knocking anybody at UConn, just praising somebody at Louisville for doing a great job

somebody mentioned in another thread something I didn't consider much, the Yum Center vs the HCC. You can throw in Louisville vs Storrs too. I enjoy GP, but the HCC is a dump and the overall environment at both locations is lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom