Caldwell Commits to ...[Merged Thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Caldwell Commits to ...[Merged Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Saying I think she wants to play right away is not assuming she's self-absorbed at all. And for the record, playing right away may very well have been a motivating factor for Lobo too, it doesn't make either player self-absorbed.

Recee's the one who made the comments...

“UCLA reminds me so much of my club team,” Caldwell said. “I’ve never gone to the juggernaut but I’ve always tried to make quality teams the juggernaut with my ability.”

“I visited schools all over the country,” Caldwell said. “But I knew in my heart I wanted to help a program get to a Final Four. We can do that here and I want to be a major factor.”

...which anyone can infer to mean that she INTENDS to be the ONE starting and playing and leading UCLA to the Final 4...I'm not putting words into her mouth, she is. I'm not hating on her for it, just saying that's ONE of the (unspoken) reasons she chose UCLA over UConn and Duke and even Texas A&M.

Oh, come on! Everything you just resourced here is much closer to the motivation embedded in your first quote than the second that you invented, which implies no benefit to a team but only for one's self. If you did not think there was a difference in the two quotes why did you set them up as a direct contrast to each other? OK then, YOU explain the difference in the two quotes that YOU set up as having a different meaning from each other. What makes the second quote different from the first in the mind of someone thinking it?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
A few weeks back, after her visit and really favorable comments about UCONN, I really thought we were in the driver's seat, but UCLA is a great shool, in a great location, and apparently she's close to some extended family IIRC. Best of luck to her.

so on to the next - I know the staff is really high on Canada. Hopefully she's high on UCONN. I wonder why the staff isn't looking at Kelsey Mitchell, a guard from Ohio (or perhaps they already are). But it's clear that backup plans are needed... Go get em coaches!!

Maybe Caldwell was the backup plan for Canada?

Reaction Score
I take her comments to be a tremendous compliment to UConn. Everyone knows whom "juggernaut" is referring to. UConn has become THE super power in womens' college basketball. No matter who you are, even a KLM or Stewart, you will have to fight for minutes and never become "the " star a la EDD.

She stated concisely the legitimate choice that the small group of HS players who are recruited by UConn have to make. On what other team in the country could a KML level player be injured and it hardly creates a ripple of concern? Look what has happened to Baylor concerning Sims, or Maryland with their recent guard injury.

The only thing in the article that makes me wonder if she made the correct decision is the comment that she wants to become a coach. If I start down that road, it is going to be a 10 page post of reasons that most on the board could list better than I.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Among other things, Mitchell is part of a package deal (less talented twin sister). Their father has said that they "have decided" to play at the same school.
Considering the scholarships UCONN has available, and we might be looking for walk-ons anyway, it wouldn't be like a wasted schollie. Just sayin'

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Considering the scholarships UCONN has available, and we might be looking for walk-ons anyway, it wouldn't be like a wasted schollie. Just sayin'

Very true. I just think Geno objects to this on principle, i.e., being told he needs to take player A if he wants player B. He'd prefer a walk-on.

Reaction Score
re: Mitchell. From what I have read she is not the type of player that GA would recruit. I think there was an issue with her at USA basketball.

Reaction Score
Indeed, Lobo believed that being a big piece in an up-and-coming program was more interesting to her than joining an established powerhouse. It didn't hurt that she was from Southwick and that Uconn had gone to the F4 during her senior year of high school.

She would have committed in the fall of her senior year, *before* UConn's unexpected run to the final 4.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am happy for Recee'..........UCLA is a good school. Its obvious she wanted to play right away and not have to maybe sit and learn for a year. It takes a real competitive spirit, and confident player, to come to UConn. They come knowing that minutes are not guaranteed but earned. This makes for a more competitive player and spirit.

I wish she had chosen UConn , but I am not surprised in the least of her choice of UCLA.

Just because a player doesn't want to compete for minutes doesn't mean that they don't have a competitive nature or that they are lacking confidence. Maybe they would just rather compete against the opponents instead. One could argue that going to a program where you don't have to play a big role quickly is taking the easier road with less initial pressure.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to play immediately.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It is interesting that the UCLA coachs came out here to watch UConn practices then they land Caldwell. Last season STJ stopped UConns home win streak after Geno spent time with one of the STJ players who hit the shot to defeat UConn. I guess what Geno teaches really works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom