Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Just as the tea leaf readers had been predicting the last few days......:(

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
That "long" article sure went up fast. Looks like someone had the heads-up to write that article in advance.

Reaction Score
All the best to her at UCLA!

That said, "take a program to Final 4 instead of a powerhouse" stands for "I want to start right away and play lots of minutes as a freshman rather than sitting behind other HS AAs". Although I'm sure playing in front of family had MORE to do with her decision in the end. Glad she didn't string us along. Respect that a LOT!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Congrats to Reece' and UCLA. If she wasn't going to come to UConn, I'm glad Geno already knows. This will enable Geno and the coaching staff to identify another recruit(s) as 2014 is an important recruiting year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That "long" article sure went up fast. Looks like someone had the heads-up to write that article in advance.

Yes. Peachstate was given the exclusive and said to look for the "announcement" and its immediate reaction around 9:30. Sure enough.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

That said, "take a program to Final 4 instead of a powerhouse" stands for "I want to start right away and play lots of minutes as a freshman rather than sitting behind other HS AAs". Although I'm sure playing in front of family had MORE to do with her decision in the end. Glad she didn't string us along. Respect that a LOT!

This quote tickled me:

“UCLA reminds me so much of my club team,” Caldwell said. “I’ve never gone to the juggernaut but I’ve always tried to make quality teams the juggernaut with my ability.”

It's funny to hear a 16-year-old use the word "juggernaut." BTW, I can understand why some use that word in connection with UConn -- by some I don't include 16-year-olds -- but I don't care for it because I think it fails to capture the essence of UConn basketball. I hope she does turn UCLA in to a juggernaut! Watch out Stanford!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Yeah, I'm sure what you put in quotes was precisely Rebecca Lobo's thoughts when she came to Connecticut.

Reaction Score
"UConn not getting into the ACC was a major factor in my decision," Caldwell said.
OK, I made that part up.:)

Would have been a great pick up. Now on to the next one.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm sure what you put in quotes was precisely Rebecca Lobo's thoughts when she came to Connecticut.

WCBB is NOTHING like it is was back then when Lobo came to UConn. Geno will tell you the same thing. I have no problem with Recee choosing UCLA. It's her life, her choice. All the best. I just think that "statement" is the cover story not the inside truth. Which again is fine, we don't need to know everything as fans. Maybe her and Fields can get UCLA to a Final 4 but they've only got 2yrs together, so they better pull in other talented players from the class of 2014 especially in the post (since 2013's McCall went to Stanford, Chidom went to Duke) or it's not gonna happen.

HGN

Reaction Score
I am happy for Recee'..........UCLA is a good school. Its obvious she wanted to play right away and not have to maybe sit and learn for a year. It takes a real competitive spirit, and confident player, to come to UConn. They come knowing that minutes are not guaranteed but earned. This makes for a more competitive player and spirit.

I wish she had chosen UConn , but I am not surprised in the least of her choice of UCLA.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A few weeks back, after her visit and really favorable comments about UCONN, I really thought we were in the driver's seat, but UCLA is a great shool, in a great location, and apparently she's close to some extended family IIRC. Best of luck to her.

so on to the next - I know the staff is really high on Canada. Hopefully she's high on UCONN. I wonder why the staff isn't looking at Kelsey Mitchell, a guard from Ohio (or perhaps they already are). But it's clear that backup plans are needed... Go get em coaches!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
so on to the next - I know the staff is really high on Canada. Hopefully she's high on UCONN. I wonder why the staff isn't looking at Kelsey Mitchell, a guard from Ohio (or perhaps they already are). But it's clear that backup plans are needed... Go get em coaches!!

Among other things, Mitchell is part of a package deal (less talented twin sister). Their father has said that they "have decided" to play at the same school.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Good for UCLA........ glad they got an elite commit. Perhaps their fans will quit crying about striking out in the 2013 class.

. Maybe her and Fields can get UCLA to a Final 4 but they've only got 2yrs together, so they better pull in other talented players from the class of 2014 especially in the post (since 2013's McCall went to Stanford, Chidom went to Duke) or it's not gonna happen.

You forgot about Cooper who signed with Duke. Right in their own backyard too ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Among other things, Mitchell is part of a package deal (less talented twin sister). Their father has said that they "have decided" to play at the same school.
Ah did not know that. Not the kind of situation UCONN typically wants to be involved in...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Maybe they can go to Syracuse and play with the Day twins.....

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
WCBB is NOTHING like it is was back then when Lobo came to UConn. Geno will tell you the same thing. I have no problem with Recee choosing UCLA. It's her life, her choice. All the best. I just think that "statement" is the cover story not the inside truth. Which again is fine, we don't need to know everything as fans. Maybe her and Fields can get UCLA to a Final 4 but they've only got 2yrs together, so they better pull in other talented players from the class of 2014 especially in the post (since 2013's McCall went to Stanford, Chidom went to Duke) or it's not gonna happen.

This is not about the differences in basketball, but the perceived differences in motivation. A quote like "take a program to the Final 4 instead of a powerhouse," while showing supreme confidence in one's abilities, yet has an "other" focus to it. Maybe it's realistic, maybe it's idealistic, in either case most people would think Lobo had such an attitude. "I want to start right away and play lots of minutes as a freshman" assumes a self-absorbed mentality. I don't doubt that many teenagers have that mentality, just as I don't doubt there are plenty of exceptions. You are assuming the worst motivation for a person when there is no corroborating evidence for that assumption in this case. For all we know Caldwell's character may be more like Lobo's than what you apparently ascribe to what should be the norm for human behavior.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Indeed, Lobo believed that being a big piece in an up-and-coming program was more interesting to her than joining an established powerhouse. It didn't hurt that she was from Southwick and that Uconn had gone to the F4 during her senior year of high school. The wisdom of her decision, however, was aided and abetted by the fact that she chose a coaching staff that had Geno Auriemma and Chris Dailey. This fact remains a really good reason to pick Uconn. That all being said, all the best to Caldwell and to UCLA.

Reaction Score
This is not about the differences in basketball, but the perceived differences in motivation. A quote like "take a program to the Final 4 instead of a powerhouse," while showing supreme confidence in one's abilities, yet has an "other" focus to it. Maybe it's realistic, maybe it's idealistic, in either case most people would think Lobo had such an attitude. "I want to start right away and play lots of minutes as a freshman" assumes a self-absorbed mentality. I don't doubt that many teenagers have that mentality, just as I don't doubt there are plenty of exceptions. You are assuming the worst motivation for a person when there is no corroborating evidence for that assumption in this case. For all we know Caldwell's character may be more like Lobo's than what you apparently ascribe to what should be the norm for human behavior.

Saying I think she wants to play right away is not assuming she's self-absorbed at all. And for the record, playing right away may very well have been a motivating factor for Lobo too, it doesn't make either player self-absorbed.

Recee's the one who made the comments...

“UCLA reminds me so much of my club team,” Caldwell said. “I’ve never gone to the juggernaut but I’ve always tried to make quality teams the juggernaut with my ability.”

“I visited schools all over the country,” Caldwell said. “But I knew in my heart I wanted to help a program get to a Final Four. We can do that here and I want to be a major factor.”

...which anyone can infer to mean that she INTENDS to be the ONE starting and playing and leading UCLA to the Final 4...I'm not putting words into her mouth, she is. I'm not hating on her for it, just saying that's ONE of the (unspoken) reasons she chose UCLA over UConn and Duke and even Texas A&M.

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
I'm happy for her. I wish she had chosen us but UCLA is a good school. Great pickup for UCLA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom