Calapari confronts Mick on cheating claims | The Boneyard

Calapari confronts Mick on cheating claims

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes, I am the type of guy who can come in at the last minute and take any player I want from you. You can spend your whole life recruiting a kid and at the end of the day. If I want him, I’ll get him. If we want him, we’ll get him.

'Don’t ever get that confused. Be appreciative every time I don’t come in and get your guy. Don’t accuse me of cheating when I do.'

Anyone else read that and think if the squid wasn't a basketball coach he could be running protection scams for the mob?

Reaction Score
Not sure if it was in comments, but saw elsewhere it was in reference to Marquis Teague.

Reaction Score
Yes, I am the type of guy who can come in at the last minute and take any player I want from you. You can spend your whole life recruiting a kid and at the end of the day. If I want him, I’ll get him. If we want him, we’ll get him.

'Don’t ever get that confused. Be appreciative every time I don’t come in and get your guy. Don’t accuse me of cheating when I do.'

Anyone else read that and think if the squid wasn't a basketball coach he could be running protection scams for the mob?

translation: Yes, I am the type of guy who can come in at the last minute and take any player I want from you with hookers and blow. You can spend your whole life recruiting a kid and at the end of the day. If I want him, I’ll get him with hookers and blow. If we want him, we’ll get him with hookers and blow"

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
To be fair, I would do absolutely the same thing if I was him. He is a guy who can swoop in and get a kid some other coaches have been recruiting for years. On the other hand, if I was the coach being scolded, I would have punched Calipari right in the frcken throat.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
I heard this story a few years ago and I can almost assuredly say this story is about Mick Cronin and is regarding Marquis Teague. At the time Mick was really desperate to land a top recruit and the pressure from the fans was heating up. We even got a verbal commit from one of his best friends/AAU teammates Khristian Smith (who ended up at Indiana State and actually has had a decent career there) trying to land Teague. The guys that cover our recruiting were confident that it was between us and Louisville for him. Then Cal swooped in and landed him.

The gist of what I was told was almost the same as the quote from the article, basically Cal told him "you can recruit a kid your whole career but if I want him, I'll get him."

Reaction Score
I heard this story a few years ago and I can almost assuredly say this story is about Mick Cronin and is regarding Marquis Teague. At the time Mick was really desperate to land a top recruit and the pressure from the fans was heating up. We even got a verbal commit from one of his best friends/AAU teammates Khristian Smith (who ended up at Indiana State and actually has had a decent career there) trying to land Teague. The guys that cover our recruiting were confident that it was between us and Louisville for him. Then Cal swooped in and landed him.

The gist of what I was told was almost the same as the quote from the article, basically Cal told him "you can recruit a kid your whole career but if I want him, I'll get him."

Did Cincy even finish in 2nd for Teague though? My recollection was that Louisville thought they had him.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

I'd like this story a lot better if they were direct quotes, but they're just a guy describing what someone else said. "Cal approaches the coach and says something like ..."

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Did Cincy even finish in 2nd for Teague though? My recollection was that Louisville thought they had him.
Louisville was the favorite but Cincinnati was right there. Mick had a really good relationship with his family.

Reaction Score
I feel like Calipari when I meet Kentucky fans:

'Yes, Kentucky, UConn is the type of team who can come in at the last minute and win any championship we want against you. You can spend your whole life game planning for us and at the end of the day. If we want to win, we will win. If we want to, we'll beat you.

'Don’t ever get that confused. Be appreciative every time you don’t see us in the NCAA Tournament. Don’t accuse me of stealing a ring from you when I do.'

Reaction Score
Hate to say it but I kind of side with Cal here. His response is pretty exaggerated saying he gets any player he wants, but if your a coach and your going around saying another coach is cheating you better have some proof or at least stand by your word when confronted.

Not really related, but reminds me of the time Mick flipped out at the AAC awards banquet when Shabazz won POY over Kilpatrick. Mick stormed out with his player running his mouth saying it was BS and that real heroes are made in March. Well, everyone here remembers how that one played out...

Reaction Score
bmo22 said:
Hate to say it but I kind of side with Cal here. His response is pretty exaggerated saying he gets any player he wants, but if your a coach and your going around saying another coach is cheating you better have some proof or at least stand by your word when confronted. Not really related, but reminds me of the time Mick flipped out at the AAC awards banquet when Shabazz won POY over Kilpatrick. Mick stormed out with his player running his mouth saying it was BS and that real heroes are made in March. Well, everyone here remembers how that one played out...

Lol. Shabazz made them eat those comments.

Mick is a sore loser and isn't good at biting his tongue when he should, but I like him. He's an old school coach that gets a lot out of his players and he cares deeply about his guys. He's like JC in some ways and I enjoy having him in our conference.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

I am not a Calipari fan, but that's a great quote.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You'd hope recruits would read that and think about who they're thinking about playing for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom