Cal reaching for Knicks job... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Cal reaching for Knicks job...

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If I were him, I'd never leave UK. The only time he coached without a talent advantage it didn't go well for him. And yes, he had a talent advantage over his conference foes at both UMass and Memphis, he was always the big fish in a small pond.

Reaction Score
I can't believe no one here or in the national media has drawn a connection between Adam Silver's recent comments on the age rule, Coach Cal's combative stance against that, and Cal's new interest in leaving Kentucky.

This is what Cal does. He's a master of maximizing the potential of a situation and running for the hills when it gets challenged.

It happened at UMass. It happened at Memphis. And if there's a change to the one and done rule that makes it more difficult for him at UK, he'll jump at the first big contract he's offered and run for the hills.

He's always, ALWAYS, out for himself. Even when he encourages a kid to go pro, he does so with the intention of marketing that to another high school teenager.
No, too much conspiracy theory. It is simpler.
A. Cal floats his name for the Knicks thing because its a big job and will get him NBA related press.
B. Then Cal publicly tweets his denial of interest, getting another news cycle of Cal and NBA association.
C. Repeat every offseason with NBA job du jour.
Cal works the media well.

pj

Reaction Score
Cal's one great talent is selling to 17 year olds. That's not a feature of an NBA head coach's job, so why would he want to move? Better to be a great success earning $8 mn per year at Kentucky forever than to be a mediocrity earning a little more for a few years until you are exposed and fired.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I know this is fake news, but in the short term all the UK players in the league would probably want to go to NY to be under him. It'd be a nice selling point to potential FAs in the coming years. Build a rep off of that and he'd be golden.

All that said he's king of the castle at UK and shouldn't ever leave.

Reaction Score
I know this is fake news, but in the short term all the UK players in the league would probably want to go to NY to be under him. It'd be a nice selling point to potential FAs in the coming years. Build a rep off of that and he'd be golden.

Changing the one-and-done rule is the 1 thing that could alter Cal's tenure at UK. He's working the system perfectly, getting the top talent, keeping most relatively happy and a small dose of him with pre-paved road to NBA works. Force him to keep & develop recruits over 2 years and this changes OR remove the top-10 one-and-dones and put them in the G-League and the playing field is leveled. Player development and coaching would be more important than recruiting or salesmanship.

As it is he's very competitive every year, yet teams that combine 3-4yr players with one-and-done ish recruits are consistently beating him in NCAA tournaments. And most ironically those losses might just come down to in-game coaching. For example Cal flubbed the NCAA game with Memphis, and twice could have beat us (UConn) with better end-of-game strategy (force us to make free throws, don't shoot a three down 2). He would (again) be a lousy NBA coach, but positioning himself for a GM job in a few years is smart for both now and later.

Reaction Score

Ehh, I'm sure it would be a selling point a little, but by the time his guys hit free agency I doubt playing for a coach that they spent one year with way back in college is a top priority.

But yes, he shouldn't leave, and also the last thing the Knicks need now is another big name with no front office experience.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Ehh, I'm sure it would be a selling point a little, but by the time his guys hit free agency I doubt playing for a coach that they spent one year with way back in college is a top priority.

But yes, he shouldn't leave, and also the last thing the Knicks need now is another big name with no front office experience.
I agree that it wouldn't be a good move for him or the Knicks. I also think you understate how much these guys love Cal.

Reaction Score
Perfect fit for the Squid. He is already versed in working with agents, paying players, and throwing academic out the window... so the NBA would be perfect for him. Just ask Marcus Camby and Derrick Rose. He currently coaches the best college team money can buy.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Fake news! Sad!

A non-denial denial? If he contacted them directly himself, his statement would technically be partially true, at the very least.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I thought he said a few years ago, he planned on retirement after 6-7 years. Guy is full of bs.

Reaction Score
So slimy it's crazy. Oh well get to a FF against him again someday, Winning!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
NOTHING would make me happier (college basketball related) than the squid being gone from college hoops forever.

If someone said to me: UConn can win it's 5th title next year, or Calipari can be gone and UConn loses in the first round of the NIT to Wagner. I'd take Cal gone any day.
Ummm no and not really that close

Reaction Score
I think being the Prez of BBall Ops at the Knicks and getting Knicks back to relevance is a 5,000x better gig than coaching 18-19 year olds @ UK

He's made his $$ either way

Reaction Score
NOTHING would make me happier (college basketball related) than the squid being gone from college hoops forever.

If someone said to me: UConn can win it's 5th title next year, or Calipari can be gone and UConn loses in the first round of the NIT to Wagner. I'd take Cal gone any day.

I probably wouldn't go that far, but I almost agree.

If it's possible for an opinion to be wrong, this is. I'm not quite sure just how far inside your head Cal would have to be for you to make a statement like this, but then again the Cal complex on this board is taken to new levels every day for reasons I do not understand.

Reaction Score

PFTCommenter could not cook up a spicier, more insane take than this. Can't imagine why anyone would think this board has a Calipari complex.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I admit that I hate the guy, as a fan of college basketball and another program.

But I certainly would take a championship over anything to do with him.

Reaction Score
No, too much conspiracy theory. It is simpler.
A. Cal floats his name for the Knicks thing because its a big job and will get him NBA related press.
B. Then Cal publicly tweets his denial of interest, getting another news cycle of Cal and NBA association.
C. Repeat every offseason with NBA job du jour.
Cal works the media well.
You missed one:
D. Kentucky gives Cal a raise and another extension worth millions of dollars.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
How to be John Calipari during the summer.

Be sure to show up in front of every microphone before the draft.

After the draft, when you're feeling lonely, float NBA rumors about yourself.

Heroically deny those rumors when the media runs away with the story.

Reaction Score
I'd give up a million titles to get rid of him!!! A purgatory of NIT losses while Ryan Boatright is "injured"!!! Whatever it takes!!!! There is no stopping me and my wild opinions!!! No. Stopping.

Reaction Score
How to be John Calipari during the summer.

Be sure to show up in front of every microphone before the draft.

After the draft, when you're feeling lonely, float NBA rumors about yourself.

Heroically deny those rumors when the media runs away with the story.
You forgot: And then parlay the "interest" into a new raise and extension because that's "home" and where your heart belongs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom