c7 schools expect to double their tv contract... | The Boneyard

c7 schools expect to double their tv contract...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
just heard mentioned on the radio... no idea about specifics. if true, what does this say about the nbe contract...

can 3 dead weights in depaul, seton hall, and providence get millions?

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
They can expect all they want but I suspect that they think more of their value than others will. Obviously it's all speculation until contracts are announced / signed but I just don't see the C7 commanding that kind of money.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Wazzou and Mississippi State get $25+ million dollars a year.

So yeah, it's theoretically possible...

Reaction Score
A week ago, the feeling among the schools was that they'd be happy with $2 million per year from television. Multiple sources have indicated the $3 million per school figure is looking like a more accurate number. Who will pony up?
The lead suitor right now is Fox, which is starting its own national sports cable network that's expected to be on the air this fall. The glut of inventory means that it will inevitably be split between multiple networks, but Fox has been most aggressive so far.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-schools-working-lucrative-tv-deal-basketball

$5m per school

Who is going to step up and pay that for the C-7? Well ... now we have some of the answer.

It's NOT (IMHO) necessarily for the 7 schools. Georgetown & Villanova & Marquette have some value. But - there is a huge -HUGE - content market. So, for all those wet noodles around here, we will get decent money for ours. There still is an emerging market paying $$$.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A week ago, the feeling among the schools was that they'd be happy with $2 million per year from television. Multiple sources have indicated the $3 million per school figure is looking like a more accurate number. Who will pony up?
The lead suitor right now is Fox, which is starting its own national sports cable network that's expected to be on the air this fall. The glut of inventory means that it will inevitably be split between multiple networks, but Fox has been most aggressive so far.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20121221/catholic-7-future/#ixzz2HAN5KSle
Unless economic concepts have changed I will need an explanation as to how the price is going up if there is a glut of inventory.

Reaction Score
Who loves how espn pumps that the catholic 7 could get 5 million a year per team but our contract would be lucky to get 60 million. It's laughable the politics in everything. I think if everything holds together, aresco pulls a rabbit out of the hat.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-schools-working-lucrative-tv-deal-basketball

$5m per school

Who is going to step up and pay that for the C-7? Well ... now we have some of the answer.

It's NOT (IMHO) necessarily for the 7 schools. Georgetown & Villanova & Marquette have some value. But - there is a huge -HUGE - content market. So, for all those wet noodles around here, we will get decent money for ours. There still is an emerging market paying $.

Part of it is also perception. The NNBE is looked at as damaged goods, the C7 - new and exciting. I would not be surprised if proportionately C7 get a better deal than the NNBE.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
It's the new Fox 1 Sports Network
Assuming they will bid as aggressively on NNBE Basketball? In a good year that's 10 of the field of 64 presenting those 2Conferences

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I noticed that part of the C7's plan to up their take is by offering the schools they invite something amounting to a half-share in the revenue.

I guess that's only fair given how much hard work Providence, DePaul and Seton Hall have to done to build the athletic reputation of that new conference.

I'm sure Butler and Xavier will recognize the year-in and year-out excellence those schools bless their conference mates with and understand that this excellence comes at an increased price.

As we know, it's not always about winning games, it's about cashing checks and no one does it better.

Reaction Score
Reading your post Fishy was the perfect way to start my Sunday.

Reaction Score
I noticed that part of the C7's plan to up their take is by offering the schools they invite something amounting to a half-share in the revenue.

I guess that's only fair given how much hard work Providence, DePaul and Seton Hall have to done to build the athletic reputation of that new conference.

I'm sure Butler and Xavier will recognize the year-in and year-out excellence those schools bless their conference mates with and understand that this excellence comes at an increased price.

As we know, it's not always about winning games, it's about cashing checks and no one does it better.

It will be more than a little ironic if a movement to start treating conference teams unequally, and sacrifice fair competition for more economic power, is starting by the priests who run these schools. Note to Catholic school Presidents: when someone tells you that "the Golden Rule is that him who has the gold makes the rules," that is not the version of it you are supposed to be living your life demonstrating.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It will be more than a little ironic if a movement to start treating conference teams unequally, and sacrifice fair competition for more economic power, is starting by the priests who run these schools. Note to Catholic school Presidents: when someone tells you that "the Golden Rule is that him who has the gold makes the rules," that is not the version of it you are supposed to be living your life demonstrating.
Boise State beat them to the punch.

Reaction Score
The ESPN article states that the SPEED Channel which will become Fox Sports 1, is already in 81 million homes.

Interesting fact, yet on all the providers, its part of their premium packages. If that doesn't change, I wish them luck.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The fact that Depaul could be in a big time hoops only league, making $5M and playing many of our former rivals, while we make only make $3M in an sports league playing SMU and Tulane just may be the final kick in the nuts for me.

Then again, I should probably hold off on the statement until Cinci and USF go to the ACC and SMU/Houston go to the MWC or wherever the hell it's best suited to screw us over.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We are really coming across as jealous ex-girlfriends in threads like this.

I am disappointed that the C7 are leaving, but I understand and even agree with their reasons. It was time. They will be fine in a new league, and I expect the average revenue per school after all TV and NCAA units to be very healthy and all the programs to be very profitable. I also expect Butler and Xavier to tell them to pound sand if they think that Seton Hall and Providence are going to to get twice the conference share that the new schools get.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's about jealousy. It's about UConn's conference being worth more, and it will be. For those saying basketball is worthless in $$ matters, can you explain how a league with Seton Hall, Providence and Dayton is going to get $5 million a year? This means UConn's basketball alone is worth $10 million a year (and that's a conservative estimate). I don't believe it is, but if you're giving $5 million to Seton Hall, what other conclusion can you draw?

Reaction Score
I don't think it's about jealousy. It's about UConn's conference being worth more, and it will be. For those saying basketball is worthless in matters, can you explain how a league with Seton Hall, Providence and Dayton is going to get $5 million a year? This means UConn's basketball alone is worth $10 million a year (and that's a conservative estimate). I don't believe it is, but if you're giving $5 million to Seton Hall, what other conclusion can you draw?

I agree whole heartily. Why is it that this contract is pumped, but the nnnbe football won't get more. I think this is exactly why aresco was brought in. I believe he'll beat the streets estimations.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the Gtown+6 is all excited to get $3M/year or even $5M per year, it shows just how divergent the BBonlies interests were from the rest of the conference and why there should have been a split years ago.

If I am sitting in a strategy meeting where we are discussing a contract that will net $15-17M/yr and someone in the room is manuvering to get $3-5M/yr, I'm going to tell that person or persons to sit down and STFU, or get out. Rivalries be damned. This isn't a new thought, but WOW did the BE leadership screw the pooch big time.

Reaction Score
Rovell is a pretty good reporter on the sports business side. He likely has good sources and there is no one on this board that I have seen that predicted that the C7 would get 5 million per year for their TV deal. If they get that then we should still command a good amount with hoops and football - even with the crud that will be playing. The C7 is basketball only. And we are talking about DePaul, PC, and Seton Hall comprising almost HALF of the 7 (and even though St. Johns is in NY mark wise they havent been very good at all in quite some time). Amazing.

Reaction Score
I also expect Butler and Xavier to tell them to pound sand if they think that Seton Hall and Providence are going to to get twice the conference share that the new schools get.

I am not so sure about that nelson. The article says those schools make about 400K right now. Even with the uneven shares it sounds like the Butlers and Xaviers would make 5 times what they currently do. You think an AD and/or president is going to turn that down?

Reaction Score
I am not so sure about that nelson. The article says those schools make about 400K right now. Even with the uneven shares it sounds like the Butlers and Xaviers would make 5 times what they currently do. You think an AD and/or president is going to turn that down?

How can they tell Xavier and Butler, though, to accept half shares?

Surely, the $5 million from Fox already accounts for Butler's and Xavier's popularity. I mean, Butler can pressure them. Fox will be like, ahem, it used to be $5 million per when Butler was included.

Reaction Score
if this league can get $5M for bb, what could an east west league with uconn, boise, cincy and byu bring. include memphis, temple, unlv, and sdsu.

$15-20M is possible...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We rightly ridicule the G+6, but if you are a TV exec and need MBB content, the G+6 is a tremendous value. With the exception of a short period in the 80's (anyone cares about anything earlier is likely dead and not watching TV) they haven't as a group been good at BB. What they do have, thanks to their BE affiliation, is a level of branding higher than the directional state U's and the sun belt/colonial schools. If ESPN is paying 17M for ACC FB and BB content, then Fox paying 5M for a slate of servicable if not really relevant MBB content is a good buy. On an hourly basis, it's about minimum wage.

Reaction Score
We rightly ridicule the G+6, but if you are a TV exec and need MBB content, the G+6 is a tremendous value. With the exception of a short period in the 80's (anyone cares about anything earlier is likely dead and not watching TV) they haven't as a group been good at BB. What they do have, thanks to their BE affiliation, is a level of branding higher than the directional state U's and the sun belt/colonial schools. If ESPN is paying 17M for ACC FB and BB content, then Fox paying 5M for a slate of servicable if not really relevant MBB content is a good buy. On an hourly basis, it's about minimum wage.

I hear you and agree with that SB. But if that is the case for the C7, then what is a hoops league with Uconn (a 3 time National Champion in last 13 years), Cincy, Temple, Memphis, etc PLUS football worth? The top teams in the "NNNBE" are better than the C7 and can provide programming with football from late August to the beginning of March. The C7 deal gives me some hope that our TV deal won't be as bad as we thought - not great mind you, but not as bad as it may have looked a week or two ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom