C. Collier on rejecting Geno | The Boneyard

C. Collier on rejecting Geno

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
A little USA Today article on Charli Collier. She talks a little about rejecting Geno.

It was hard to break the news to UConn. I don’t think Geno has anyone turn him down. He was kind of shocked. He told me like any other coach that he wishes me the best. He told me to do my best somewhere else. It wasn’t anything rude. He was kind and professional.

McDonald's All-American Diary: Charli Collier on UConn coach Geno Auriemma's reaction to her decommitment

There have been a few who have turned him down. She wants to play with a really good guard (like Honesty Scott-Grayson). Guess Dangerfield and Williams aren't at that level. :confused: No, mostly she wanted to stay home near her family.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A little USA Today article on Charli Collier. She talks a little about rejecting Geno.

It was hard to break the news to UConn. I don’t think Geno has anyone turn him down. He was kind of shocked. He told me like any other coach that he wishes me the best. He told me to do my best somewhere else. It wasn’t anything rude. He was kind and professional.

McDonald's All-American Diary: Charli Collier on UConn coach Geno Auriemma's reaction to her decommitment

There have been a few who have turned him down. She wants to play with a really good guard (Honesty Scott-Grayson). Guess Dangerfield and Williams aren't at that level. :confused: No, mostly she wanted to stay home near her family.

She won't be playing with Scott-Grayson. In fact Honesty will be her rival for the next 4 years at Baylor.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She won't be playing with Scott-Grayson. In fact Honesty will be her rival for the next 4 years at Baylor.
You know I didn't even look at that. I just believed what she said. Guess she's gonna be a little bummed when she gets to UT. :eek:

She wants to play with a really good guard (Honesty Scott-Grayson)? At Baylor?

That's what she said. Well "like" HSG.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You know I didn't even look at that. I just believed what she said. Guess she's gonna be a little bummed when she gets to UT. :eek:
That's what she said. Well "like" HSG.
She was speaking of the practices leading up to the McDonalds game.
"I really like playing with Honesty Scott Grayson."
" She’s a really good guard with great court vision who is going to Baylor."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

There have been a few who have turned him down. She wants to play with a really good guard (like Honesty Scott-Grayson). Guess Dangerfield and Williams aren't at that level. :confused: No, mostly she wanted to stay home near her family.
Charli felt an allegiance to Texas, just as Ezi felt an allegiance to Australia.

Reaction Score
The list of those who said “no” to Geno includes Jayne Appel, Chiney Ogwumike, Abby Waner, Kia Vaughn, Karlie Samuelson, Arike Ogunbowale, Jewell Loyd, A’ja Wilson, Lauren Cox, and Ezi Magbegor.
Yeah but they didn't say, "Yes" first.

'Course, Karen Aston got the, "Yes - No - Yes" treatment (so far). Perhaps Geno breathed a sigh of relief as he was being kind and professional.

Reaction Score
She's a high school senior who is being interviewed by adults. She's doing her best. After the death of her father, she needed to stay close to home and made the right decision. When I look at how TX underperforms, I'm sorry for her basketball play the next 4 years, but she made the right decision if her family is emotionally needy, just like Ezi made the right decision if (and that's just an "if", as I speculate on the Ezi thread) her family is financially needy. I know lots of kids who turn down incredible academic opportunities to stay close to home for family reasons. You can't argue with someone's values if they're solid; on the contrary, you have to respect them.

HGN

Reaction Score
I agree with most opinions here......It is good Collier decided to stay in state to UT. I look at it as a potential Blessing in disguise. I would rather for her to NOT come to UConn , rather than to come and then leave after a year. Something like that messes up chemistry and recruiting. She made the right decision for her and for UConn in the long run.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

'Course, Karen Aston got the, "Yes - No - Yes" treatment (so far). Perhaps Geno breathed a sigh of relief as he was being kind and professional.
I think his wife said "no" before she said "yes".

Reaction Score
The list of those who said “no” to Geno includes Jayne Appel, Chiney Ogwumike, Abby Waner, Kia Vaughn, Karlie Samuelson, Arike Ogunbowale, Jewell Loyd, A’ja Wilson, Lauren Cox, and Ezi Magbegor.
Laura Harper and another post player at Maryland were both slated for UConn, iirc. A few that went to UNC and Duke also. Hunter came back, but at a terrible cost to her physically.

Reaction Score

That's the first team.
The second team includes Essence Carson, Laura Harper, EDD, Nicky Anosike, Teresa Borton and Diamond Deshields.
Carson, Vaughn, Harper, Anosike and Waner are collectively responsible for the 2005-2008 draught.
I never understood it coming after a triumphant threepeat.
Harper won a NC at Maryland. Anosike won two at Tennessee.
In the first team only Wilson has a championship ring.
Did Bonnie Samuelson get an offer from UConn?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Laura Harper and another post player at Maryland were both slated for UConn, iirc. A few that went to UNC and Duke also. Hunter came back, but at a terrible cost to her physically.

Harper said yes a bit reluctantly (as far as I can recollect) and changed her mind when Crystal Langhorne chose Maryland.

Reaction Score
My very strong sense (and it is only a sense) is that a lot of other schools really go on the charm offensive. It's not hard to do when you've got the resources and experience already developed for big time recruiting (and UConn does have that in MCBB). But my sense is that the UConn staff doesn't overpromise and make things seem as if all will be wonderful once the recruit comes. When I was finishing grad. school a wealthy school recruited me very hard, and I asked the dean if this glitz will continue once I came: he just smiled. I chose elsewhere, a better school, if not nearly so well-off, that didn't offer me anything but challenges and opportunity. BTW, the school I turned down ran into very serious NCAA violations. But I sense that Geno & Co. want to tell it like it is, rather than what any 18 year old and her parents want to hear. I don't blame those kids and their parents for wanting something else: you just have to feel your way through life.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Speaking of yes and then no, Elena turned down Geno for personal reasons.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
When you visit there, the locals will point out that it is the only state that was a separate nation.
It's on my list as I want to get the Alamo'd ice cream, see the "rat turtle" and some of the cows with really long horns, weeds that tumble and birds that run along the road... by the way, what's in your wallet? :p

Reaction Score
That's the first team.
The second team includes Essence Carson, Laura Harper, EDD, Nicky Anosike, Teresa Borton and Diamond Deshields.
Carson, Vaughn, Harper, Anosike and Waner are collectively responsible for the 2005-2008 draught.
I never understood it coming after a triumphant threepeat.
Harper won a NC at Maryland. Anosike won two at Tennessee.
In the first team only Wilson has a championship ring.
Did Bonnie Samuelson get an offer from UConn?

Are you kidding? EDD would hardly be considered "second team", she's the best of the lot.

Reaction Score

One girl who turned him down just finished her college career with one National Championship..............................instead of four.:eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom