Bye Bye Cox. A New Beginning | The Boneyard

Bye Bye Cox. A New Beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've been contemplating cutting the cord for a while now and last night sealed it.

We had gotten the Amazon Fire Stick in the mail earlier in the week and last night was the proof of concept.

Watched the game in my bed room without any pixilation or delay. Goodbye cable.

The digital antenna is spot on too for the over the air channels.

Looks like we'll have Amazon Prime, Hulu+ and SlingTV with the $5 sports add-on.

Reaction Score
I need to do something similar. My cable option in North Dakota is horrible. No ESPN3.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Last night was a "free" game. You are going to need an ESPN cable subscription with login credentials to watch most of the remaining games this year on espn3 or WatchESPN.

edit: Does SlingTV offer ESPN?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This seems like a good thread to ask the question... At the Del Mar Fair this year, I saw something called the "Amazing TV Box". I tried looking it up on the net and didn't see a specific website, but then found something called "Jet Stream Box" which seems similar.

I guess they are "media" boxes, which advertise "free" tv, as well as access to movies, all channels, sports, streaming, etc. Anyone heard of this? Have one? I have Time Warner Cable and sadly can't get channels line NESN or SNY. I used to have ATT Uverse which I liked (oddly can't get it here), but am looking for other options. Thoughts? thanks...!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
SlingTV provides the basic ESPN packages as part of the $20/mo. $5 more gets ESPNU and ESPNnews and a few other sports channels.

Reaction Score
I have my firestick hacked so I can watch all channels and ppv sports for free. Left comcast two weeks ago.

Reaction Score
SlingTV provides the basic ESPN packages as part of the $20/mo. $5 more gets ESPNU and ESPNnews and a few other sports channels.
Do you actually have slingtv? I've been interested in that but the reviews are.... not great when it comes to feed quality.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Do you actually have slingtv? I've been interested in that but the reviews are.... not great when it comes to feed quality.
I've heard the same thing...

Also, what's the plan for the CBS SN games? A lot more UConn games on CBS SN this year compared to the last 2 years.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'm on the 2 week free trial. I haven't really used it yet.

Reaction Score
What will everyone do when cable TV companies have to hike their Internet rates in an effort to make up from lost TV subscriber revenue? Like it or not the cable providers are the pipe to deliver the OTT programming. I don't think they are going to sit by idle as Netflix digs into the bottom line.

Reaction Score
What will everyone do when cable TV companies have to hike their Internet rates in an effort to make up from lost TV subscriber revenue? Like it or not the cable providers are the pipe to deliver the OTT programming. I don't think they are going to sit by idle as Netflix digs into the bottom line.

By then? They'll switch to Google Fiber.

Reaction Score
I have my firestick hacked so I can watch all channels and ppv sports for free. Left comcast two weeks ago.
Is there a one stop shop tutorial on this? I googled but there is a bunch of different links out there.

Reaction Score
If you think Google Fiber is coming everywhere you are wrong. They are cherry picking high income neighborhoods where the cost to build is relatively inexpensive.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Is there a one stop shop tutorial on this? I googled but there is a bunch of different links out there.

Very easy.

If you have an old second-generation Apple TV, you can do something similar. (Doesn't work on later models.)

Reaction Score
I have Roku 3, with Hulu, Netflix, Sling with sports extra and Amazon Prime. I also pay for CBS All Access so that I get local news. Hulu 8 bucks, Netflix 8 bucks, Amazon Prime 99 for the year and 6 bucks for CBS. Sling is 25 a month. All told I pay approx. 55 a month.. Probably gonna rotate the Netflix and Hulu each month to switch it up. Cannot get WatchESPN or ESPN 3 without a cable subscription, unless someone wants to PM me their password. :) Most of the time the quality of the stream is very good. Occasionally it a little blurry for a second or two.

Reaction Score
CBS SN doesn't stream so I get to go over a friend's house for the games. Win, win. Get to hang with my buds and watch the game without 5 kids or my wife interrupting.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Huskyhoops25 said:
I have Roku 3, with Hulu, Netflix, Sling with sports extra and Amazon Prime. I also pay for CBS All Access so that I get local news. Hulu 8 bucks, Netflix 8 bucks, Amazon Prime 99 for the year and 6 bucks for CBS. Sling is 25 a month. All told I pay approx. 55 a month.. Probably gonna rotate the Netflix and Hulu each month to switch it up. Cannot get WatchESPN or ESPN 3 without a cable subscription, unless someone wants to PM me their password. :) Most of the time the quality of the stream is very good. Occasionally it a little blurry for a second or two.

How much is your web connection considering it is not part of a tv package?

Reaction Score
How much is your web connection considering it is not part of a tv package?
I have Comcast and they are screwing me for 67/mo. Thinking about switching over to Frontier for internet but not sure if it is fast enough to stream my Roku.

Reaction Score
So I'm considering cutting the cord as well. It was my understanding that the various streaming devices did not give you sports and you would need another subscription (Digital TV, etc.) to have those bases covered. Am I totally wrong in this assumption? B/c if I can eliminate Comcast from my life, my life will instantly get better.

Reaction Score
For $25/mo. you get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPNews, plus some other sports channels I never heard of. But also TNT, TBS, Food Network, A&E, HGTV, History, H2, Disney, IFC, CNN ABC Family and some others never heard of

Reaction Score
For $25/mo. you get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPNews, plus some other sports channels I never heard of. But also TNT, TBS, Food Network, A&E, HGTV, History, H2, Disney, IFC, CNN ABC Family and some others never heard of

Which "service" is this?

Reaction Score
ok, so for the stupid (such as myself), you order SlingTV and use it on one of the "streamers", i.e. roku, amazon fire etc?
Yes. And if you sign up for SlingTV, they almost always have a promotion on one of those streamers going (significant discount ). It's $20 per month for their basic channels and then you can buy additional themed packages (such as sports with ESPN) for $5 extra a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom