BY25 preseason poll: *Results are in* | The Boneyard

BY25 preseason poll: *Results are in*

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Number of 1st-place votes shown in parentheses:

1636400428868.png

Also receiving votes (on at least two ballots): Missouri State 52, Notre Dame 52, South Florida 51, Florida Gulf Coast 49, South Dakota 44, Duke 23, Arkansas 8, LSU 4, BYU 3, North Carolina 2.

Thank you to all who voted. Twenty-six ballots were submitted.

The next poll will be Monday, November 22, 2021.

Reaction Score
It's interesting how knowledge of injuries now would definitely change some votes. For instance, would Oregon be as high without Pao Pao and Rogers? Probably not.

I'm disappointed at the lack of respect for the mid-majors in this poll. Not a single mid-major included in the Top 25. It's almost as if the name recognition of Ohio State and West Virginia means something despite Missouri State, Florida Gulf Coast, and South Dakota being perfectly fantastic teams with a lot going for them this year.

In any case, thanks as always, Plebe for putting this together.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
@Plebe

I would be interested in the ballots (1-3 slots) submitted after the UConn Exhibition. I have a feeling that game performance might have made UConn look better than before?

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed at the lack of respect for the mid-majors in this poll. Not a single mid-major included in the Top 25. It's almost as if the name recognition of Ohio State and West Virginia means something despite Missouri State, Florida Gulf Coast, and South Dakota being perfectly fantastic teams with a lot going for them this year.
I did my part. I had South Dakota and Missouri State on my pre-season ballot.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's interesting how knowledge of injuries now would definitely change some votes. For instance, would Oregon be as high without Pao Pao and Rogers? Probably not.

In any case, thanks as always, Plebe for putting this together.

I knew about Georgia Tech and issued a warning ... perhaps it was too late. I had no idea of the injuries to Oregon... and I definitely would have not ranked them where I did.

I thought a few mid majors would get ranked... surprised that they didn't. I had 3 of them included... South Dakota, South Florida, and another unnamed school. I guess @Plebe changed the rules in that a school had to be listed on two ballots to be listed. :oops:

At least Duke got more votes than that other school 8 miles down the road.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
  1. South Carolina
  2. Maryland
  3. Stanford
  4. UConn
  5. NC State
  6. Baylor
  7. Iowa
  8. Indiana
  9. Michigan
  10. Louisville
  11. Georgia
  12. Georgia Tech
  13. Iowa State
  14. Arizona
  15. Kentucky
  16. Oregon
  17. South Dakota
  18. Tennessee
  19. UCLA
  20. Seton Hall
  21. Notre Dame
  22. FGCU
  23. Duke
  24. Virginia Tech
  25. Missouri State
Publishing my ballot for transparency's sake. (Don't come for me, Huskies.)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
@Plebe

I would be interested in the ballots (1-3 slots) submitted after the UConn Exhibition. I have a feeling that game performance might have made UConn look better than before?

Did UConn beat Fort Hays worse than South Carolina beat Benedict?

Reaction Score
  1. South Carolina
  2. Maryland
  3. Stanford
  4. UConn
  5. NC State
  6. Baylor
  7. Iowa
  8. Indiana
  9. Michigan
  10. Louisville
  11. Georgia
  12. Georgia Tech
  13. Iowa State
  14. Arizona
  15. Kentucky
  16. Oregon
  17. South Dakota
  18. Tennessee
  19. UCLA
  20. Seton Hall
  21. Notre Dame
  22. FGCU
  23. Duke
  24. Virginia Tech
  25. Missouri State
Even more bias ~~~

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Who knew the conspiracy to disrespect UConn even extended to the BY?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I did my part. I had South Dakota and Missouri State on my pre-season ballot.
I am thinking many of our fellow BYers mailed in their effort, much like the AP pollsters, very little critical thinking. Both SD and Mo State are more worthy than many of the 3/4 options of the P5.

Reaction Score
Number of 1st-place votes shown in parentheses:

View attachment 70838

Also receiving votes (on at least two ballots): Missouri State 52, Notre Dame 52, South Florida 51, Florida Gulf Coast 49, South Dakota 44, Duke 23, Arkansas 8, LSU 4, BYU 3, North Carolina 2.

Thank you to all who voted. Twenty-six ballots were submitted.

The next poll will be Monday, November 22, 2021.
The most interesting thing about this list is how much the PAC-12 will beat each other up and how much those beat ups will aid them in final tournament. I am not sure how the other team I watch besides UConn—Colorado, one of two teams to beat Stanford—will fare in PAC-12 meat grinder but with Mya back for a fifth year, Jaden back healthy, two decent transfers, plus other experienced players...well, one can hope. If they were in Big Easy, I would be thinking second.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I guess @Plebe changed the rules in that a school had to be listed on two ballots to be listed. :oops:

Funny you should notice :)

No rule change. The "receiving votes" category has always consisted of teams listed on a minimum of two ballots. Teams appearing on only one ballot have never been in the "receiving votes" category and have always been listed separately.

The only change is procedural. I decided not to list the one-ballot teams in the same post as the other teams, precisely to address the misconception which you've so helpfully illustrated :)

On that note, the following teams were listed on only one ballot in this poll: Seton Hall, Stephen F. Austin, Michigan State, South Dakota State, Cal Baptist, and last and probably least, High Point :)

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
@Plebe

I don't think anyone who watched the game would have necessarily thought better of UConn after the fact. Yes, we did see very talented players and they did play a good game against a good Div. II school. We also saw some players ahead of where we might think they would be at this point. But we did not see a lot of well-run plays, the likes of which are the bread and butter of UConn basketball. There were some, but just some. I AM NOT CRITICIZING. I know it's early and I don't expect a well-oiled machine, but I don't think yesterday's game was much of a reason to believe UConn is better than other top-tier teams. Once again, I have faith that UConn will be. That's usually the way it works and among the reasons we love these teams and coaches so much. But I don't think any knowledgeable fan would have improved their take on this team after watching them play FHS.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I admit I didn't know about Paopao. Was her injury known before the second exhibition?

Graves's comments on the topic are a bit curious: He describes her injury as "day to day" but also says she's out "for the foreseeable future" and "there's a possibility she might be out for a while as well." Hmm.

Both Paopao and Rogers played very well, reportedly, in Oregon's first exhibition game on Oct. 28.

Plebe

Reaction Score
@Plebe

Only a handful of the ballots were submitted after the exhibition, so it's likely not a statistically significant sample. But there was no discernible "bump" among those few. FWIW I believe Stanford and South Carolina both played similarly one-sided exhibitions.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Did UConn beat Fort Hays worse than South Carolina beat Benedict?
Yes they did.

UConn 111 - Fort Hayes St 47......64pt MOV
SC 98 - Benedict 41.....57pt MOV

If I remember correctly the Bench outscored FHS 49 to 47.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Someone (@undersized) is smoking something real good to put Maryland ahead of both Stanford and UConn.:rolleyes: They will most likely win the Big Ten, but will not go undefeated within their conference. Then they have NC State, Stanford, South Carolina, and Baylor in non-conference play. I believe at best they will split those four games.

Reaction Score
Someone (@undersized) is smoking something real good to put Maryland ahead of both Stanford and UConn.:rolleyes: They will most likely win the Big Ten, but will not go undefeated within their conference. Then they have NC State, Stanford, South Carolina, and Baylor in non-conference play. I believe at best they will split those four games.

Honestly, I think it's entirely within the realm of possibility that this Maryland squad turns into something special with the returning players along with Angel Reese getting another year under her belt. They will be scary efficient on offense, and if Bibby and Benzan are hitting their threes....they can trounce anyone.

This season is really going to be an interesting example of good offenses such as Iowa, UConn, Maryland going up against pretty darn good defenses in South Carolina, Stanford, and Texas. I'm glad that Stanford got Maryland and Indiana on their schedule along with South Carolina. This is going to be a battle tested Stanford team come tourney time -- lots to learn between now and then.

Plebe

Reaction Score
  1. South Carolina
  2. Maryland
  3. Stanford
  4. UConn
  5. NC State
  6. Baylor
  7. Iowa
  8. Indiana
  9. Michigan
  10. Louisville
  11. Georgia
  12. Georgia Tech
  13. Iowa State
  14. Arizona
  15. Kentucky
  16. Oregon
  17. South Dakota
  18. Tennessee
  19. UCLA
  20. Seton Hall
  21. Notre Dame
  22. FGCU
  23. Duke
  24. Virginia Tech
  25. Missouri State
I commend your transparency and, above all, bravery. Plus this is great fodder for discussion. Others are welcome to follow suit (wink wink).

Reaction Score
  1. South Carolina
  2. Maryland
  3. Stanford
  4. UConn
  5. NC State
  6. Baylor
  7. Iowa
  8. Indiana
  9. Michigan
  10. Louisville
  11. Georgia
  12. Georgia Tech
  13. Iowa State
  14. Arizona
  15. Kentucky
  16. Oregon
  17. South Dakota
  18. Tennessee
  19. UCLA
  20. Seton Hall
  21. Notre Dame
  22. FGCU
  23. Duke
  24. Virginia Tech
  25. Missouri State
really no complaints in this poll aside Oregon surprised you had them that low. The top 5 tho I have no problem, I know some will argue Uconn below Maryland might be a reach, but I also believe Maryland has a shot at the ntl title.

Reaction Score
Funny you should notice :)

No rule change. The "receiving votes" category has always consisted of teams listed on a minimum of two ballots. Teams appearing on only one ballot have never been in the "receiving votes" category and have always been listed separately.

The only change is procedural. I decided not to list the one-ballot teams in the same post as the other teams, precisely to address the misconception which you've so helpfully illustrated :)

On that note, the following teams were listed on only one ballot in this poll: Seton Hall, Stephen F. Austin, Michigan State, South Dakota State, Cal Baptist, and last and probably least, High Point :)

Idaho State feels very left out. Even though they received one vote, Plebe doesn't want to include them on the list of teams receiving only one ballot.

:eek:

On the bright side, the teams receiving only one ballot really should just thank me for getting their name thrown out in a thread of this repute on the Boneyard. :rolleyes:

Honestly, early in the season, I tend to give Mid-majors the benefit of a doubt and rank them higher than P5 programs because the P5's will get a million chances to pick up one marquee victory somewhere along the road. I feel that with the knowledge that the boost that the name recognition Ohio State etc brings they will get extra votes regardless of whether they are actually decent. So, that means I can rebel slightly. Idaho State actually has a pretty great chance tomorrow if they can work some magic against Oregon who may be without Pao-Pao and Rogers. In looking at their schedule now, they actually have a tough few tests with Gonzaga, Missouri, UCF, and Toledo on the schedule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom