By the end of September | Page 2 | The Boneyard

By the end of September

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No lap napkins on either of those guys.
Hard to say. They could have been wedged in their belly folds.

Reaction Score
Post lunch talk with a person (25+ year friend and client) who would have better knowledge than most bloggers/twitterers, Uconn will know if it is in the final expansion group of 2 or 4 by the end of September. Timeline was outlined as final 2/4 notified before the end of the month with the Big 12 making a final decision by October 15.

His belief was that it is a 50/50 proposition at best with the Big12 on expansion and less than that for Uconn being in the final cut because of the TX perspective and deference to them (my word, not his). If TX says no, it is hard to get enough votes to over ride.

He also voiced concerns that the conditions offered to any expansion school by the Big12 would put the school at a competitive/monetary disadvantage while allowing the existing B12 schools to get more money and retain the ability to walk away in less than 10 years.

The most interesting comment, however, was at least one other P5 representative has been in close contact with Uconn. He was very circumspect about which conference(s) but felt that all of the work being done by Uconn/Big 12, including the media analysis, is being eaten up by another potential home for Uconn.

He also mocked my golf game, ever expanding gut and growing forehead.

Take this as just another small piece of info that I thought worthwhile enough to post.
I agree that the Big 12 thing is a long shot, given what UConn is dealing with there, but the rest is just a bunch of baloney. The ACC despises UConn and the B1G has no need for UConn. The PAC 12 and the SEC are not even a consideration. There is nothing left but Big 12 right now. No other conference needs to expand. I cannot believe that you sucked 23 people into giving your posts "likes".

Reaction Score
I agree that the Big 12 thing is a long shot, given what UConn is dealing with there, but the rest is just a bunch of baloney. The ACC despises UConn and the B1G has no need for UConn. The PAC 12 and the SEC are not even a consideration. There is nothing left but Big 12 right now. No other conference needs to expand. I cannot believe that you sucked 23 people into giving your posts "likes".
Um just because we like a post does not mean we believe it to become true

Reaction Score
So what is it about this post that you like? That some make believe person is saying that UConn is being pursued by an imaginary P5 Conference? I think UConn has been dealing with enough phonies for a long time now. I am not trying to be nasty. I just want to understand.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Post lunch talk with a person (25+ year friend and client) who would have better knowledge than most bloggers/twitterers, Uconn will know if it is in the final expansion group of 2 or 4 by the end of September. Timeline was outlined as final 2/4 notified before the end of the month with the Big 12 making a final decision by October 15.

His belief was that it is a 50/50 proposition at best with the Big12 on expansion and less than that for Uconn being in the final cut because of the TX perspective and deference to them (my word, not his). If TX says no, it is hard to get enough votes to over ride.

He also voiced concerns that the conditions offered to any expansion school by the Big12 would put the school at a competitive/monetary disadvantage while allowing the existing B12 schools to get more money and retain the ability to walk away in less than 10 years.

The most interesting comment, however, was at least one other P5 representative has been in close contact with Uconn. He was very circumspect about which conference(s) but felt that all of the work being done by Uconn/Big 12, including the media analysis, is being eaten up by another potential home for Uconn.

He also mocked my golf game, ever expanding gut and growing forehead.

Take this as just another small piece of info that I thought worthwhile enough to post.

You had me until the "other" P5 conferences interest in UConn.

Reaction Score
That's me. Trolling for likes. You caught me. I gave you two likes to make up for it.

I took the other conferences as meaning the B1G or the ACC. I don't see the ACC as despising Uconn. They seem to have more mature leadership at most schools than that.

Reaction Score
That's me. Trolling for likes. You caught me. I gave you two likes to make up for it.

I took the other conferences as meaning the B1G or the ACC. I don't see the ACC as despising Uconn. They seem to have more mature leadership at most schools than that.
Tell that to FSU, BC, Clemson and Cuse.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
So a like doesn't mean "I sure hope it's true"?

Don't get me wrong, 06 numbers is almost certainly a BC fan here to troll...god knows trolling a message board is likely preferable to rooting for the Meg Griffin of collegiate athletics. But this was an effective troll, so credit where credit is due.

In the offchance UConn does get into the Big 12, it is game over for BC athletics. Why not troll away now?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It'll be Joe Tessitore kissing Houston's nether regions for three and one half hours. Joe is the sports world's biggest shill and most insincere "expert" so who better than to cover this scenario. Ugh.

Nah, Joe is one of the better ones out there.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Guys, disagreeing with the OP doesn't mean that the OP was trolling. Grow up and move on with your lives if you disagree. Our BC trolls are much more obvious than this.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What the hell is with you people? The OP comments are entirely plausible. UConn may have leaked that it is willing to put Olympic sports in a conference without football. Yes, to the Big East...but why just the Big East?

The ACC has a problem. That problem is Notre Dame. It creates an unbalanced schedule for all sports but football, and means that they effectively can't expand to 16 until ND decides. At that time, the possible #16 options may well be schools like ECU. UConn's Olympic sports, market location and academic profile easily outclasses any other school the ACC could consider. It isn't close...it's Harlem Globetrotters vs. Washington Generals.

So would UConn accept a ND style deal? Yes, certainly. Would the ACC offer one, if it got the same commitments (can't join another conference etc.). Maybe. Joining fully would be contingent on ND joining. They'd need to give us a scheduling arrangement for football so that we could go Independent, but hell, we're playing 3 ACC teams this year as it is. Since the ACC could do that for football, and pays more than than the NBE, they are the more viable option. How does the ACC lose in this scenario?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If ESPN refuses to bump up their payments so that they maintain there pro rata distributions.

Once again, it all comes down to the World Wide Leader.

Ahh yes. And now the brilliance of the Big East (Fox!) threat is revealed.

Reaction Score
Ahh yes. And now the brilliance of the Big East (Fox!) threat is revealed.

If ESPiN tell ACC to add us and still maintain the same payout, we would be in the ACC shortly. It comes down to what ESPiN wants to get out of its long term commitment to the ACC and ACCN.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If ESPiN tell ACC to add us and still maintain the same payout, we would be in the ACC shortly. It comes down to what ESPiN wants to get out of its long term commitment to the ACC and ACCN.

Yes, but we'd take a reduced payout without football. I'm intrigued by the combination of the OP conversation (real or otherwise) and Flug's supposed OU contact's messages. The consultant metrics supposedly painted a strong picture for BYU in attendance related metrics, and strong for UConn on network "over the air" metrics. Now the OP says that the information gathered has reached other conferences. Well one of them is about to have a shiny new network, and UConn is in its footprint. ESPN certainly has seen the data presented to the Big 12, presumably showing UConn's strength for conference network. I am simply saying that it isn't far fetched that they could conclude that a reduced ACC payout for UConn is in their interest. By the time we give the AAC notice, that contract will in its last year anyway, and the ACC network will be spinning up.

Reaction Score
Yes, but we'd take a reduced payout without football. I'm intrigued by the combination of the OP conversation (real or otherwise) and Flug's supposed OU contact's messages. The consultant metrics supposedly painted a strong picture for BYU in attendance related metrics, and strong for UConn on network "over the air" metrics. Now the OP says that the information gathered has reached other conferences. Well one of them is about to have a shiny new network, and UConn is in its footprint. ESPN certainly has seen the data presented to the Big 12, presumably showing UConn's strength for conference network. I am simply saying that it isn't far fetched that they could conclude that a reduced ACC payout for UConn is in their interest. By the time we give the AAC notice, that contract will in its last year anyway, and the ACC network will be spinning up.

We certainly make sense for the ACC network. Then again, when has ACC done anything that made business sense? Most of us are still shaking our head at why a commuter school over us last round.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We certainly make sense for the ACC network. Then again, when has ACC done anything that made business sense? Most of us are still shaking our head at why a commuter school over us last round.
'

That commuter school has a top 10 football ranking right now. Even I have to admit, Louisville has earned its keep in the ACC.

Reaction Score

Because Clemson and FSU demanded it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Tim Brando has said repeatedly that he thinks UConn will have a spot in the ACC. But I think that is contingent on ND joining full-time which, as we all know, might not happen for 20 years.

UConn's P5 data has always been there. It's football fan support has not. And that is our biggest dead weight on our B12 profile right now...which affords "other" P5 conferences to wait-and-see knowing we really do not have any other viable alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom