OT: - Buying Cars | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Buying Cars

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
foreign autos suck. oh, and 'seats' are #7 on a buyers priority list before purchase, but #2 six months after. this should be obvious after car purchase #1 in life. rec's? tuff question. go with the blue gm...or is it the white gm? no, definitely the blue one. wait! it's monday, so white it is...or maybe navy? ford? aarrggh, soooo many choices!
(and slap some firestone le2's on that sucker, smooth value.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
foreign autos suck. oh, and 'seats' are #7 on a buyers priority list before purchase, but #2 six months after. this should be obvious after car purchase #1 in life. rec's? tuff question. go with the blue gm...or is it the white gm? no, definitely the blue one. wait! it's monday, so white it is...or maybe navy? ford? aarrggh, soooo many choices!
(and slap some firestone le2's on that sucker, smooth value.)
Father in law is buying a new Silverado crew cab but wants a special package and will only buy a black one. There are none around closest is Kentucky but he can get a silver, white or blue one locally. Refuses to get those colors. Don't understand why he is pigeon holing himself into that one color

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Father in law is buying a new Silverado crew cab but wants a special package and will only buy a black one. There are none around closest is Kentucky but he can get a silver, white or blue one locally. Refuses to get those colors. Don't understand why he is pigeon holing himself into that one color

Because he wants it???

And if he's buying a Silverado crew cab with any type.of special badging he's on the $60k range.

If he has the money, let him spend it.

Doesn't sound like he's holding out for end of year discounts.

Reaction Score
Are you saying there is an issue with your father in law knowing exactly what he wants?

Do you go to an Italian restaurant for chicken parmesan only for them to tell you they are out of marinara but can substitute with ketchup and you agree to go with it because hey, at least they got the chicken and cheese. 2 of 3 requirements isn't too bad!

Reaction Score
Because he wants it???

And if he's buying a Silverado crew cab with any type.of special badging he's on the $60k range.

If he has the money, let him spend it.

Doesn't sound like he's holding out for end of year discounts.

He wants a 2019 end of year. They aren't out there

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
taste is personal. some only like ketchup, and some only like mustard, but everyone is right.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He wants a 2019 end of year. They aren't out there

Well, that is something in your favor. Is he aware of this?

In theory some dealer, somewhere in America has his car. Maybe.

Reaction Score
Black is the only color car I will ever get.

Reaction Score
Well, that is something in your favor. Is he aware of this?

In theory some dealer, somewhere in America has his car. Maybe.

Yea in Kentucky but he doesn't want to go down there or get it shipped. When your dealing with end of year model closeouts you can't be that picky

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yea in Kentucky but he doesn't want to go down there or get it shipped. When your dealing with end of year model closeouts you can't be that picky

Sure, you can be that picky. You just won't end up with a truck. Lol.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It's really not that hard. Go to the Internet or Fleet dealer (they'll be listed on the dealer website) and let them know what you want. They will find it and have it delivered and you'll pay the best possible price, particularly if you contact a few different dealers. The last 2 BMWs I got were configured and built to my specifications at huge discounts compared to floor models and the Audi was found a day away at a huge discount over dealer cost and was there the next day.

You have huge leverage on the 30th, 31st of the year. Use it. Figure out the best price from Edmunds and don't settle for a penny less - or even better if you are accepting something that you weren't looking for like upgrades you don't need but don't mind having. We got a couple levels up for the best Edmunds price for a more standard model. Just stick to your guns.

Reaction Score
I have always wanted a Wrangler. So when the new model dropped I was all over it. I've had my jlu sport s and couldn't be happier. It all depends on what you like and are into though. So nice to find that vehicle that is everything you want from your "car". I don't care if I'm planning to go off roading, to s friend house or to the grocery store, every single time I get in my Jeep I'm excited about it. I couldn't care less about that expensive car driving next to me, no envy here, I'm in what I like. I plan to keep my Jeep for as long as I possibly can, maybe for life! That's how much I love this vehicle.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I recently bought an AWD Lincoln MKZ (used - low mileage) with a V6 twin turbo charged and dual overhead cams. More than enough power. 6 speed transmission, 263HP/ 6.5 zero to 60. Even better in mid range acceleration due to the turbos. Very comfortable and easy to get in and out of. Not as expensive as foreign cars for repairs. Back seats can come down for storage. Very happy.

Good luck.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
No mention of Lexus or Toyota, I for one look for comfort & reliability because I like long road trips. My work truck will always be Chevy unless something changes but they are all gas & go vehicles. I do not care how good a warranty they come with if they have to go to the shop for warranty work in the first 5 yrs its junk.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Black is the only color I won't get.

For me that’s white, and some silvers. But mostly I do not want a black interior and that seems to eliminate about 75% of what is on lots. I do not understand why people like those boring, hot, cave-like, black interiors.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I have always wanted a Wrangler. So when the new model dropped I was all over it. I've had my jlu sport s and couldn't be happier. It all depends on what you like and are into though. So nice to find that vehicle that is everything you want from your "car". I don't care if I'm planning to go off roading, to s friend house or to the grocery store, every single time I get in my Jeep I'm excited about it. I couldn't care less about that expensive car driving next to me, no envy here, I'm in what I like. I plan to keep my Jeep for as long as I possibly can, maybe for life! That's how much I love this vehicle.

I thought I’d love it. Wanted a convertible for summer that is capable is snow and on mount roads in winter. Drove a new Sahara and found it terrifying. Huge amount of effort just to keep it in its lane on the highway. Hold the wheel straight and it acts like it’s a snake. Does your JL not have the steering issues that seem to plague them?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No mention of Lexus or Toyota, I for one look for comfort & reliability because I like long road trips. My work truck will always be Chevy unless something changes but they are all gas & go vehicles. I do not care how good a warranty they come with if they have to go to the shop for warranty work in the first 5 yrs its junk.

The Mazda and Honda wipe the floor with the RAV4. I don’t like the Highlander as much as something like a Telluride or Passport and they don’t have a larger two row except the 4Runner, which I love, except that it’s a time capsule from 1997. If it was updated I’d buy one. For 2020 it Just finally got the Toyota safety stuff that’s on every Corolla, but still no blind spot monitoring.

Lexus is the same. RX350 still no Apple Car Play. Still running out the aging 3.5L V6. And we had one, and it was the least reliable car we’ve owned. Went through 3 wheel bearings. The GX460 is like a 4Runner but even more ancient. NX300 is similarly behind the competition. Look at how old even the GS is. Lexus is really letting the whole lineup fall behind, reminds me of 90s era Ford.

Reaction Score
For me that’s white, and some silvers. But mostly I do not want a black interior and that seems to eliminate about 75% of what is on lots. I do not understand why people like those boring, hot, cave-like, black interiors.
I have a garage full of three white cars. 2016 Cadillac CT6, a 2019 Toyota Highlander and a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited.

First off, I like white cars. But because i lease the white also hides scratches and stuff like that. Less likely to get dinged come turn in time.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The Mazda and Honda wipe the floor with the RAV4. I don’t like the Highlander as much as something like a Telluride or Passport and they don’t have a larger two row except the 4Runner, which I love, except that it’s a time capsule from 1997. If it was updated I’d buy one. For 2020 it Just finally got the Toyota safety stuff that’s on every Corolla, but still no blind spot monitoring.

Lexus is the same. RX350 still no Apple Car Play. Still running out the aging 3.5L V6. And we had one, and it was the least reliable car we’ve owned. Went through 3 wheel bearings. The GX460 is like a 4Runner but even more ancient. NX300 is similarly behind the competition. Look at how old even the GS is. Lexus is really letting the whole lineup fall behind, reminds me of 90s era Ford.

That aging 3.5L V6 is the whole reason I bought a used Venza back in October. I had a Honda Pilot that got totaled when a German tourist decided to turn left from the middle lanes on a one-way street. I had just dropped about $1500 on the Pilot for new tires after running over a 6-pack of roofing nails, an alternator shat the bed and had a #5 cylinder misfiring. Pilot was running great and I figured I'd get 100k more miles out that no problem. Three weeks later and it's scrapped.
Needed something on relatively short notice. And like at least one other person said, I don't want black interiors. Also, with two white cars already (Sorry @minidarren ) I didn't want a third white vehicle. The Venza was priced right and I knew, while not the newest technology, it was reliable and parts for maintenance are aplenty. Add in a beige leather interior and red exterior and it was a quick choice.
Toyotas still have a strong buyer allegiance because of their reliability and ability to do what their expected to do. I wouldn't ever buy a RAV4 or Highlander, but the Tacoma, Tundra, 4Runner all have credibility.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom