OT: - Buying Cars | The Boneyard

OT: Buying Cars

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Does anybody else struggle to choose a car? They are expensive and I've been a "car guy" for most of my life so don't look at them as just appliances. I expect to keep them and live with them a long time. In an effort to keep my Mazda CX-5 in the family and allow my 16 year old daughter to drive a car with some modern safety features, she's going to drive it.

So I bought a 2017 BMW 340i xdrive, which is insanely fast. I loved it for a few days, until the severe back pain and sciatica started. It has narrow seats and offset pedals with the accelerator well to the left of the right edge of the driver seat. So it must go and be replaced by something larger, higher and more comfortable. That's going to be a financial disaster for sure. No more sedans for me.

Having test driven almost everything (BMW X3, X1, Audi Q3, Q5, MB GLC 300, Acura RDX, Volvo XC40, XC60, Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Jeep Wranger Sahara, Subaru Outback XT, Hyundai Palisade, Kia Telluride), I find faults with all of them, even though most are excellent cars. I'm just too picky it seems. Plus I want it to fit in my garage, so 195" is about the max. I think I'd like the new Bronco, but it isn't out yet and I'm out of time. A 4Runner that was remotely up to date would be fun. Anybody with suggestions I've missed that isn't an underpowered put put?

Reaction Score
Range Rover Velar and Jaguar F Pace are two options (if you were looking at the Stelvio). I almost bought the Velar, it's just a little too small for my fat behind and broad shoulders.

Reaction Score
Get an electric car- they are very quick accelerating and have all kinds & sizes. We just bought a Kia Niro EV and love it, but it is on smaller size (we have an even tighter garage fit).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
lol sure. if you want your car to break all the time those are great suggestions

I like them both but simply won’t go there with JLR products. I know many people who have. It’s a cautionary tale for sure.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Get an electric car- they are very quick accelerating and have all kinds & sizes. We just bought a Kia Niro EV and love it, but it is on smaller size (we have an even tighter garage fit).

Not really winter functional in most cases. The new mustang Mach E does look cool. I considered a BMW X5-E plug in hybrid but it doesn’t make much sense. Electric range wouldn’t even get me to work.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Does anybody else struggle to choose a car? They are expensive and I've been a "car guy" for most of my life so don't look at them as just appliances. I expect to keep them and live with them a long time. In an effort to keep my Mazda CX-5 in the family and allow my 16 year old daughter to drive a car with some modern safety features, she's going to drive it.

So I bought a 2017 BMW 340i xdrive, which is insanely fast. I loved it for a few days, until the severe back pain and sciatica started. It has narrow seats and offset pedals with the accelerator well to the left of the right edge of the driver seat. So it must go and be replaced by something larger, higher and more comfortable. That's going to be a financial disaster for sure. No more sedans for me.

Having test driven almost everything (BMW X3, X1, Audi Q3, Q5, MB GLC 300, Acura RDX, Volvo XC40, XC60, Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Jeep Wranger Sahara, Subaru Outback XT, Hyundai Palisade, Kia Telluride), I find faults with all of them, even though most are excellent cars. I'm just too picky it seems. Plus I want it to fit in my garage, so 195" is about the max. I think I'd like the new Bronco, but it isn't out yet and I'm out of time. A 4Runner that was remotely up to date would be fun. Anybody with suggestions I've missed that isn't an underpowered put put?

I take the struggle as a badge of honor. It can be brutal looking for the "perfect" vehicle. You can always go to the dealer and spec our a vehicle to your exact likings- and you'll pay top dollar. Otherwise, you're part of the game.

Dang body feedback. Was just reading an article last week saying part of the SUV craze is they are so much easier to ingress/egress compared to sedans. Seems crazy for the Beemer to fail foot work ergonomics with the pedals.

My family also just got a 16 daughter with a license. She primarily drives a Toyota Venza so she can sit a bit higher and be a bit higher off the ground.

When looking for newer cars I like to look for discontinued models or models going through major updates by a manufacturer staying in business. Toyota is coming out with a new Highlander (Yeah, not really a car guys car) which is bigger than the old Highlander. Toyota has engine/transmission combos that will go for years with little to no problems.
If you are looking at Chrysler/Fiat products, you could look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I believe the Trail Hawk is supposed to have some get up and go. I don't have info in front of me but I remember there are some engines on the Jeep to avoid like the plague.
I avoid new models and significant updates for the first two model years for them to work out the kinks.
I was up in Vermont earlier this month and the Audis, Subarus, Acuras, Toyotas were all over the place.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I take the struggle as a badge of honor. It can be brutal looking for the "perfect" vehicle. You can always go to the dealer and spec our a vehicle to your exact likings- and you'll pay top dollar. Otherwise, you're part of the game.

Dang body feedback. Was just reading an article last week saying part of the SUV craze is they are so much easier to ingress/egress compared to sedans. Seems crazy for the Beemer to fail foot work ergonomics with the pedals.

My family also just got a 16 daughter with a license. She primarily drives a Toyota Venza so she can sit a bit higher and be a bit higher off the ground.

When looking for newer cars I like to look for discontinued models or models going through major updates by a manufacturer staying in business. Toyota is coming out with a new Highlander (Yeah, not really a car guys car) which is bigger than the old Highlander. Toyota has engine/transmission combos that will go for years with little to no problems.
If you are looking at Chrysler/Fiat products, you could look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I believe the Trail Hawk is supposed to have some get up and go. I don't have info in front of me but I remember there are some engines on the Jeep to avoid like the plague.
I avoid new models and significant updates for the first two model years for them to work out the kinks.
I was up in Vermont earlier this month and the Audis, Subarus, Acuras, Toyotas were all over the place.

I used to do what you suggest, but now cars fall behind on technology rapidly. I think the big touch screen and digital gauge cluster is a way to avoid that as the software can be refreshed. So I’m mostly looking for cars with new designs since 2018. I was in Vermont last week. Saw the same.

if you Google BMW f30 offset pedals you’ll see many others with the issue I have with this car. But who knew to look for that? The tunnel coming in is too wide and they didn’t widen the car.

Reaction Score
Sounds like you are looking in the same class as what I usually play in. I got one of the first BMW X3 G01s (current generation) so it's over two years old. I bought it to replace the previous generation X3 coming off lease. It's not perfect (I still don't love the turbo 4 cylinders), but I'm happy, especially if you throw it in sport mode when necessary. I expect to keep it for about 6 years (typical for me other than the previous lease) and I don't think the tech will be too outdated by then. I got the car with Carplay thrown in. Now they've started licensing it so you have to pay every few years. That's disgusting and I think it's a bad move by BMW since everyone else is throwing it (and the google version) in.

Every car has pros and cons that others don't have. If it's something big, you'll know. I find that the things that I think could annoy me when I'm researching the car typically mean nothing. In the end, I was looking at the Q5 and X3. I went X3 because BMW gave me extra incentives as a previous owner so I spent $1k less for more options. I'm sure I'd be just as happy with the Q5.

If you want something a bit sexier than the BMW (I like the practicality as a soccer coach/dog owner, but it's not the coolest), did you consider the Macan?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Sounds like you are looking in the same class as what I usually play in. I got one of the first BMW X3 G01s (current generation) so it's over two years old. I bought it to replace the previous generation X3 coming off lease. It's not perfect (I still don't love the turbo 4 cylinders), but I'm happy, especially if you throw it in sport mode when necessary. I expect to keep it for about 6 years (typical for me other than the previous lease) and I don't think the tech will be too outdated by then. I got the car with Carplay thrown in. Now they've started licensing it so you have to pay every few years. That's disgusting and I think it's a bad move by BMW since everyone else is throwing it (and the google version) in.

Every car has pros and cons that others don't have. If it's something big, you'll know. I find that the things that I think could annoy me when I'm researching the car typically mean nothing. In the end, I was looking at the Q5 and X3. I went X3 because BMW gave me extra incentives as a previous owner so I spent $1k less for more options. I'm sure I'd be just as happy with the Q5.

If you want something a bit sexier than the BMW (I like the practicality as a soccer coach/dog owner, but it's not the coolest), did you consider the Macan?

I forgot that I did drive a Macan. Base engine though (same as Q5). Sweet car but I worry about repair costs. Porsche part and shop rates are insane.

I also drove the newer turbo Mazda CX-5. It and the new Outback (yes really) are the clear value choices. Telluride if you want three rows. My current Mazda has been flawless.

You are probably right about the annoyance factor, the Mercedes column shifter (with wipers on the left on turn signal) annoys me. But I got used to it in France in a rental E class. The Honda/Acura pushbutton shift I dislike as well. Crap, drove a Passport too. Forgot that. With my Mazda I dislike the infotainment system. So slow and so overly restricted.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I lease, so this isn't a concern of mine.

I am the opposite, straight cash buyer. But my friend who leases an F Pace drove a loaner for two weeks while they had his for “routine maintenance“. That would make my eyes bleed.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
lol sure. if you want your car to break all the time those are great suggestions
I don't think that's true anymore. I have had an F Pace for two years. No problems. Plus they come with a five year warranty.

But....I don't keep cars long term.... So I can't speak for keeping it 10 years. But I would have no problem purchasing a Jag with the intent of keeping it 5 years.

Reaction Score
I am the opposite, straight cash buyer. But my friend who leases an F Pace drove a loaner for two weeks while they had his for “routine maintenance“. That would make my eyes bleed.
My Cadillac CT6 went into the shop because the engine decided to self destruct at 700 miles. Sent metal pieces through the motor. No biggie, was given a CT6 loaner for the 3 week duration of the repair.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

Just got an Audi Q7 this summer for my wife. I've driven a BMW coupe and BMW roadster as my last two cars for the last 10 years and she had a Lexus 350 for almost a decade. I can easily say the Audi is the nicest car I've ever driven for fit, function, style, ride and comfort (the only downside is small cup holders - yup, that's my only gripe). I'll likely replace my Z4 with an Audi two seater when it comes time.

Reaction Score

Attachments

• 2168B01B-01DA-4E0E-B9E6-8D85C4D548DB.jpeg
    2168B01B-01DA-4E0E-B9E6-8D85C4D548DB.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 41

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member