OT: - Buying a new desktop | The Boneyard

OT: Buying a new desktop

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I have a friend who was just hired as manager of a tennis club, and the accountant wants her to buy a new computer. He insists Apple products won't be compatible with what he uses.

She'll be using Quickbooks.

Suggestions?

Reaction Score
Best bang for your buck. Look into HP ProDesk 400 G5:

Operated by the Windows 10 Pro operating system. Intel 6 Core i7-8700 processor which is fast and quick in terms of performance. Intel Smart Cache memory of 12 MB. In the sections of RAM memory, it is equipped with 16 RAM DDR4. 256 GB SSD (Solid State Drive) and 1 TB HDD (Hard Disk Drive) which is enough for the users to store their data. Equipped with a 4 GB AMD Rdn RX550 graphics helps to provide great colors and better image processing. With Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity.

$600.00 - $800.00 depending where you buy. Check Amazon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have a friend who was just hired as manager of a tennis club, and the accountant wants her to buy a new computer. He insists Apple products won't be compatible with what he uses.

She'll be using Quickbooks.

Suggestions?
Is quickbooks the most intensive thing she’ll be using the computer for? If so, there’s a pretty low bar for computer that will be fine. Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, etc are all making good units and you can get some nice small form factor ones for not too much money. I’d just make sure to get something with at least 8 GB of ram and an SSD if possible. Those two will make the day to day usability much nicer.

Reaction Score
I have an older Acer and Quickbooks works fine on it.

I have QB Desktop, but QB has an online, and more expensive version where the data can be shared with other users in the same business. This would be beneficial especially in a work environment where employees worked remotely and needed to view the data.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Is quickbooks the most intensive thing she’ll be using the computer for? If so, there’s a pretty low bar for computer that will be fine. Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, etc are all making good units and you can get some nice small form factor ones for not too much money. I’d just make sure to get something with at least 8 GB of ram and an SSD if possible. Those two will make the day to day usability much nicer.

Yep. The simple answer is that the components are going to be more or less the same in any Windows desktop. The build quality may vary, and support will be of different levels.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Quickbooks work fine on Macs.

Get a Dell or an HP or a whatever - unless you’re spending some money, they are all the same generic bits slapped into in a generic plastic case. No reason to overthink it.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
If you want to spend money to upgrade some part of the computer, spend it on memory first instead of processor or storage.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
If you are only using quickbooks you can basically get anything. Macs are a waste of money for 80%-90% of people who won them.

Reaction Score
Quickbooks work fine on Macs.

Get a Dell or an HP or a whatever - unless you’re spending some money, they are all the same generic bits slapped into in a generic plastic case. No reason to overthink it.

Yeah a little ridiculous to make an employee buy a new computer, even moreso when quickbooks should work perfectly fine on a Mac. Unless of course the employer is paying for it. If not, it sounds like an employer I wouldn’t wanna work for too long so wouldn’t break the bank…

Reaction Score

If you are only using quickbooks you can basically get anything. Macs are a waste of money for 80%-90% of people who won them.
Generally agreed, though I will say take a look at the new Mac Mini with the M1 chip, which runs for around $700. Performance and specs wise, it beats out the majority of desktops/laptops at that price point.

Reaction Score
Generally agreed, though I will say take a look at the new Mac Mini with the M1 chip, which runs for around $700. Performance and specs wise, it beats out the majority of desktops/laptops at that price point.
Agreed, great little computer for most users as long as software compatibility works for their needs (i.e. any consistent excel user can tell you how frustrating the dumbed down version you get on ios is).

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Fair but how many people are buying mac mini's?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Agreed, great little computer for most users as long as software compatibility works for their needs (i.e. any consistent excel user can tell you how frustrating the dumbed down version you get on ios is).

Microsoft made some idiotic decisions with the iOS version of Excel. Just inexplicable….like, do you want to put a header on this spreadsheet? Ooooo…no. Need a computer for that.

1626279118704.gif

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Kinda like TVs, computers have become pretty generic. Processors have gotten faster than most people need for basic tasks like Quickbooks, web browsing, email and office applications.

So like TVs, my advice is go to Costco and get what is in your price range. They extend the warranty and have a 90 day return policy which you really can't beat.

The only thing you really need to make sure of these days is that the main drive is an SSD and not a harddrive.

Something like this makes sense: https://www.costco.com/hp-pavilion-desktop---amd-ryzen-5-5600g.product.100767850.html

Reaction Score
Microsoft made some idiotic decisions with the iOS version of Excel. Just inexplicable….like, do you want to put a header on this spreadsheet? Ooooo…no. Need a computer for that.

View attachment 68538
I’m sure they were very purposeful (and it worked). I work with companies that almost exclusively use macs… all except for their finance and accounting departments who are almost exclusively on PCs.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I’m sure they were very purposeful (and it worked). I work with companies that almost exclusively use macs… all except for their finance and accounting departments who are almost exclusively on PCs.

The Mac version is complete, we were referring to the iOS version.

I am very sure that not allowing mobile users to put a header on their spreadsheet was very purposeful.

They nerfed it in dumb ways to prop up the desktop product.

Reaction Score
The Mac version is complete, we were referring to the iOS version.

I am very sure that not allowing mobile users to put a header on their spreadsheet was very purposeful.

They nerfed it in dumb ways to prop up the desktop product.
Good point, I mistyped initially. I will say, the mac desktop version is garbage for any more detailed user. Dumbed down in very frustrating ways if you need anything more than the most basic functions. Again though, clearly a business decision by Microsoft and one that worked.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yep. The simple answer is that the components are going to be more or less the same in any Windows desktop. The build quality may vary, and support will be of different levels.

Not sure if it's still true, but when I taught technology I was told companies like Dell use the same parts in every machine. Many of the less expensive computers are built with part from many vendors - which ever can deliver with the lowest price at the time.

This comes into play when trying to troubleshoot hardware and software issues.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it's still true, but when I taught technology I was told companies like Dell use the same parts in every machine. Many of the less expensive computers are built with part from many vendors - which ever can deliver with the lowest price at the time.

This comes into play when trying to troubleshoot hardware and software issues.
Probably not still a thing. Any PC maker is sourcing components from largely the same group of manufacturers (and commonly switching them constantly to battle the current component shortages). I will say from a quality standpoint, it’s probably easier now to pick a good PC than it has ever been. Pick the specs you want at the right price and unless you’re a gamer or other power user, you’ll get a good computer.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Probably not still a thing. Any PC maker is sourcing components from largely the same group of manufacturers (and commonly switching them constantly to battle the current component shortages). I will say from a quality standpoint, it’s probably easier now to pick a good PC than it has ever been. Pick the specs you want at the right price and unless you’re a gamer or other power user, you’ll get a good computer.

'Which PC maker has customer service comparable to Apple?

And what component should see look for. No need for high end graphic nor extra memory.

It'll be used strictly for a small business (maybe 20 employees), will use Office, including whatever their db program is now and Quickbooks. Perhaps some email or text blasts when the club will be closed due to weather.

Reaction Score
'Which PC maker has customer service comparable to Apple?

And what component should see look for. No need for high end graphic nor extra memory.

It'll be used strictly for a small business (maybe 20 employees), will use Office, including whatever their db program is now and Quickbooks. Perhaps some email or text blasts when the club will be closed due to weather.
I’ve built my own the last couple so can’t really comment on the customer service for each nowadays.

If it’s strictly for business uses, you’re fine with the processor integrated graphics. Absolutely no need for a dedicated graphics card. Any reasonably new CPU will also be fine to handle that work. Really the two just convenience things I’d look for are at least 8 GB of RAM and an SSD. That will boot up much faster and have enough RAM to handle anything you need. Outside of that, it’s probably just a question of form factor. Again, the bar here for a PC that can handle this load is pretty low so they should be happy with just about anything on the market now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom