OT: - Buying a new desktop | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Buying a new desktop

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not sure if it's still true, but when I taught technology I was told companies like Dell use the same parts in every machine. Many of the less expensive computers are built with part from many vendors - which ever can deliver with the lowest price at the time.

This comes into play when trying to troubleshoot hardware and software issues.

As someone who works there, it's sort of true. The configurations vary, but suppliers are consistent. What is different now is supply chain scarcity. Back 20 years ago it was cheaper to build one from quality parts. I did that a couple of times. Now, Dell, HP, Lenovo are going to be prioritized for scarce components, and are going to get them cheaper. The big names will also have quality control testing on everything that comes in.

At this point, given that those brands are price competitive, and have vastly better support than some of the smaller foreign based brands (yes Lenovo is China, but it was IBMs pc business), I think it's an easy choice.

Edit: Also, as @WhereistheDove? said, no need for a dedicated GPU unless you do hard core gaming or video editing. The newest intel processors (11th gen) have a new Intel® Iris® Xe GPU that is a substantial improvement over past versions. They had to do it because Apple's M1 is so strong. I would think a Core i5 would be sufficient in this case, but an i7 may last longer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Best bang for your buck. Look into HP ProDesk 400 G5:

Operated by the Windows 10 Pro operating system. Intel 6 Core i7-8700 processor which is fast and quick in terms of performance. Intel Smart Cache memory of 12 MB. In the sections of RAM memory, it is equipped with 16 RAM DDR4. 256 GB SSD (Solid State Drive) and 1 TB HDD (Hard Disk Drive) which is enough for the users to store their data. Equipped with a 4 GB AMD Rdn RX550 graphics helps to provide great colors and better image processing. With Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity.

$600.00 - $800.00 depending where you buy. Check Amazon.
I'm posting this on a ProDesk. 7 years in. Runs 12 hours a day. Added some additional RAM once, otherwise no issues.

Reaction Score
I'm posting this on a ProDesk. 7 years in. Runs 12 hours a day. Added some additional RAM once, otherwise no issues.
They are a work horse. Never had an issue with my ProDesk, going on 6 years. As you did, just added additional RAM also. Getting my monies worth.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I’m a CPA and my question would be why didn’t she recommend QBO. There are some companies that it’s not a good fit, but most companies can be online now, so you can use whatever computer you want.

that said, if you’re looking for a quality pc, we use Surface laptops, with Samsung curved monitors.

let me know if you want an offline conversation..

Reaction Score
'Which PC maker has customer service comparable to Apple?

And what component should see look for. No need for high end graphic nor extra memory.

It'll be used strictly for a small business (maybe 20 employees), will use Office, including whatever their db program is now and Quickbooks. Perhaps some email or text blasts when the club will be closed due to weather.
Make sure it has a good power supply, and get a good UPS.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I know you are looking for a desktop but have you considered a Palm Treo or Blackberry?
I was considering posting “let me check my 2002 consumer reports” but refrained.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom