Butler Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Butler Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Watching the game and noticing Castles defender sag way off him…..Why do we continue to have players that never improve their shot at UConn? Taleik Brown, Andre Jackson, and Stephon Castle come to mind. Why not bring in a shooting guru that can work with these guys? Jackson’s shot in the NBA looks much improved, there is no reason why he couldn’t do that 2 years earlier?
I blame the XL Center and the campus parking situation.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
In Between -
  • Guys are sagging way off Castle when he's on the perimeter and it kills our offense. BUT he's getting better at finding his way to the hoop, and is really good down there
I said teams would do this with their center in the last post game thread if we played small ball and it would take away Castle’s strength advantage.

Butler did it in the 1st half and was effective doing it. Then Matta had a brain fart and thought his small ball lineup could possibly match ours.

As long as Castle has a size advantage he should still be able to do fine even if guys sag off. Like when he found Newton on that cut to the rim he was posting up the defender on.

Reaction Score
Just 4 turnovers in the second half. Big key was valuing possessions; if they didn’t turn it over, they’d score… Really interesting to see a Hurley led team have to play so small, thank goodness for Castles defensive versatility, don’t think he sat that second half. It’ll be great to get Clingan back in the fold and his rim protection, just need to keep grinding away for now. Onward and upward.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
quad 1, baby!
Snagging a W against that team on the road should age really nicely. That was an impressive performance by the boys on offense. On Defense we continue to slip but I have 100% faith that Hurley will get us there when the tourney rolls around.

Felt like the refs (again) limited us and made for an unpleasant 1st half, in which we got killed at the line. I was hoping the BE Refs would change from last year, but the sample size is too large to ignore and we'll need to tough it out.

Diarra continues to be a very important part of this teams Identity.
Cam was an animal in the second half earning us key extra positions. The legend grows.
Castle is just awesome and will continue to get awesomer (stfu).

Reaction Score
Watching the game and noticing Castles defender sag way off him…..Why do we continue to have players that never improve their shot at UConn? Taleik Brown, Andre Jackson, and Stephon Castle come to mind. Why not bring in a shooting guru that can work with these guys? Jackson’s shot in the NBA looks much improved, there is no reason why he couldn’t do that 2 years earlier?
First post in thread...smh

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Welp, we get to enjoy the weekend.

Heckuva road win.

Is this a close game Hurley won?

Diarra once again sparks the offense.

Castle looked pretty dern good.

Spencer with the textbook "Dagger 3".

Basically played most of second half with 4 guards and a wing or PF.

Note to Big East coaches. Hurley knows how to play in-game chess.

Stewart got PT.

This game is why Hurley used DePaul for the five small ball instead of getting Singare minutes.

Reaction Score
Funny you pick this game to say that when he made a nice 3 and a 2 pt jump shot in the game too. He is still getting in game shape. He sure looked better and at least he can create offense for himself off the dribble.

Reaction Score
I don't know what was said at halftime, but the energy and effort was COMPLETELY different in the second half. Congratulations Coach Hurley for another close win! Quad 1

Good -
  • Castle did really well on Posh. Made it impossible for him to get anything going, 3 points on 1-5 shooting. Meanwhile Castle 14 points and 9 rebounds, crucial to our comeback
  • Karaban took some questionable shots but made really timely ones. Love his leadership
  • Newton ends with 17 points even though he shot 3-12. If nothing else, he's going to make some free throws
In Between -
  • Guys are sagging way off Castle when he's on the perimeter and it kills our offense. BUT he's getting better at finding his way to the hoop, and is really good down there
Bad -
  • How many times did we either just hand them the ball or get it poked away in the first half? Serious lack of care with the ball
  • On defense, we are slow and small. Couldn't stay in front or wall up at the rim, gave up baskets and fouled a lot as a result. But we outgunned them so no harm done
1 minute left, 4 point game, Butler locked us down, forced a miss, Hinkle was rocking..6'4 Cam Spencer grabs the rebound then swishes a dagger 3. Guts. Let's go Huskies

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well that was one fun game to watch.

Butler is a fun team to play. They score enough to keep the game interesting, but they can't stop anyone so we put up a big number ourselves.

Reaction Score
After a great gritty win and this the the first post smh

Edit: and Castle's best game

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Huge games from Caste and Karaban. Diarra brought some great energy and hit big shots. Cam with the incredible rebound-TO-3 sequence. Johnson played well except for the fouls. Much improved on the boards and good D. Newton money at the line, finally drew some fouls in league play. Still not shooting. Nice to see Stewart contributing.

Not much to complain about. I think the guys get tired and stop moving on offense. A bit too much stationary dribbling caused by the lack of motion.

Reaction Score
I don’t think many teams in the country would beat Butler on the road when they shoot 23-25 from the line so that’s a great win.
I thought they only missed 1. They actually missed 2 I'm surprised. It seemed like they hit every FT.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
you have to earn every road win in this conference. we earned this one in the second half.

karaban and castle were incredible. diarra and cam so clutch, too.
Nice road win without Clingan. I've got no complaints.

I swear I felt like I was watching the last rounds of Rocky I or II during last five minutes.

Players looked exhausted and were measured in their overall movements with bursts of adrenaline.

Yo Adrien!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom