Butler Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Butler Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Props to Hurley, that's a great job changing the tone at half and getting the guys playing at a different level on both ends.

That game showed why Castle is a top 10 pick and props to AK and Diarra and Spencer. Cam does so many little things that are winning plays.
One add, Stewart is a good basketball player. He has a great understanding for a freshman of spacing, how to make plays with what he's given.

I thought tonight showed a lot and he will be a very good player in the years to come.

Reaction Score
Loved some of the offensive sets run in the 2nd half.

Notable plays:
-Castle in the post near the baseline ("dunker's spot") was nice, because Tristen made a nice quick cut and Castle (who is a really good passer) saw it right away.
-Castle at the top of the key with a nice over the top pass to a posting Karaban whose shot was goaltended.

This team has a great sense of calmness/steadiness.

We're DOOMED ;)

Reaction Score
He was 10/13 from the line, 77% , give him a break
I’m not on the guy, I’m asking a real question. It looks to me like his arc on his free throws, for a guy who historically doesn’t have a ton of arc, has flattened out a little this year. That inherently gives you a little less lenience on a FT. I doubt there’s a real way to track FT arc tho haha

Reaction Score
I’m not on the guy, I’m asking a real question. It looks to me like his arc on his free throws, for a guy who historically doesn’t have a ton of arc, has flattened out a little this year. That inherently gives you a little less lenience on a FT. I doubt there’s a real way to track FT arc tho haha
I really think the angle of the camera did that. Noticed it from others too.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One add, Stewart is a good basketball player. He has a great understanding for a freshman of spacing, how to make plays with what he's given.

I thought tonight showed a lot and he will be a very good player in the years to come.

J Stew looked comfortable every second he played. First time this year he didn't have a "freshman moment".

And that's a good thing.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Welp, we get to enjoy the weekend.

Heckuva road win.

Is this a close game Hurley won?

Diarra once again sparks the offense.

Castle looked pretty dern good.

Spencer with the textbook "Dagger 3".

Basically played most of second half with 4 guards and a wing or PF.

Note to Big East coaches. Hurley knows how to play in-game chess.

Stewart got PT.

This game is why Hurley used DePaul for the five small ball instead of getting Singare minutes.
Thanks for mentioning Stuart. He was fun to watch and had an impact.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Watching the game and noticing Castles defender sag way off him…..Why do we continue to have players that never improve their shot at UConn? Taleik Brown, Andre Jackson, and Stephon Castle come to mind. Why not bring in a shooting guru that can work with these guys? Jackson’s shot in the NBA looks much improved, there is no reason why he couldn’t do that 2 years earlier?
Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Hmmm, @WeAreUCONN's burner account?

Reaction Score
On the surface, a gritty win in a tough place to play. Beneath it all, more positives than negatives. Castle is still getting acclimated to high major basketball. He is showing improvement each game, this one included, and come March he will almost certainly be that lottery pick. The team definitely showed what coach said was a champions heart. Cam and Tristan were clutch when we needed them the most. Alex is back. Maybe the biggest positive tonight was Diarra. If can continue to play like this, he makes us that much tougher. The only negative I saw was for the first time in a while, at times the offense was to stagnant. No movement, holding until way to late in the shot clock to then force a bad shot. Overall, Donovan’s absence is showing its impact. Without him, UConn is much easier to defend. To still win, and give minutes to guys, albeit closer than what we expect will help us tremendously in the long run. For UConn to repeat, we will need to be healthy. If we are, I don’t think there will be a team that can beat us. Games like tonight will be part of the reason why.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
getting to try out these karaban-at-the-five lineups will pay dividends in march

that play in particular where castle passed it over the top to karaban with davis on him was a perfect example.
I know we’re suppose to be pretty bias, but did no one really not notice how bad the lineup was when Butler left their big on the floor?

It also resulted in Karaban fouling out. If teams decide to not match our small ball lineup I don’t think it’ll be sustainable.

Reaction Score
Watching the game and noticing Castles defender sag way off him…..Why do we continue to have players that never improve their shot at UConn? Taleik Brown, Andre Jackson, and Stephon Castle come to mind. Why not bring in a shooting guru that can work with these guys? Jackson’s shot in the NBA looks much improved, there is no reason why he couldn’t do that 2 years earlier?
Like Hassan Diarra, Jordon Hawkins, James Booknight, Adama Sanogo? Andre Jackson is one guy who didn’t improve, Castle has been playing 2 months here. To improve sometimes you have to redo your shot form, and you go backwards first and then get better.

Reaction Score
Castle is rising. Buy stock now.

Hassan is just so easy to love. Outworks the other team all by himself and it effects our guys’ energy in a good way at the moments we need it.

Tristen and Cam both made enough winning plays down the stretch to makeup for some head scratchers (mainly Newton) and off shooting night.

But my big shout out tonight is for Stewie. Quietly his best game to date - did what he needed to do to buy AK time on the bench with foul trouble. Loved the 5 points but thought his rebounding was even more important. Grabbed a couple grown man boards in traffic that were really critical while the game was close. He looked like he belonged tonight.

There’s always a lot to pick at and clean up after the game, as with every game, but my only gripe is with SJ tonight. He HAS to learn to stay on the floor. He was positioned for a nice game and took himself out of it with foul trouble. He’s got to learn how to play with 2 and 3 fouls… can’t lose intensity but you also can’t make boneheaded decisions that the refs will predictably call. He just has to be better.

Nice win on the road. Faced adversity and punched it in the mouth. I’ll take it!

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Stewart showed a lot tonight. He had excellent positioning and aggressive rebounding. He also was able to get on the court a number of times so showed that the coach has confidence in him. He will grow into a star.

Reaction Score

Also had a couple of great off ball cuts to the basket where he was wide open but guys missed him

Reaction Score
I'm sure the coaches are on him about this already but man Samson has got to stop putting his hands and arms all over guys on defense. You could probably call a foul on him everytime he guards in the post or is switched onto a driver because he literally has his hands and forearms all over the offensive player.

Reaction Score
I don’t think many teams in the country would beat Butler on the road when they shoot 23-25 from the line so that’s a great win.
Agree… and Butler made a lot of clutch 3s down the stretch too, and we overcame that.

Reaction Score
Stewart showed a lot tonight. He had excellent positioning and aggressive rebounding. He also was able to get on the court a number of times so showed that the coach has confidence in him. He will grow into a star.
I think Stewart may be part of the rotation in a month.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom