Butler Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Butler Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I know we’re suppose to be pretty bias, but did no one really not notice how bad the lineup was when Butler left their big on the floor?

It also resulted in Karaban fouling out. If teams decide to not match our small ball lineup I don’t think it’ll be sustainable.
I don't think anyone thinks it's ideal, but it's going to have to work well enough for a while. I think we played some of our best offense with SJ on the bench today in the 2nd half.
Don't forget, when DC comes back, we will (hopefully) probably not have to worry about it anymore.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone thinks it's ideal, but it's going to have to work well enough for a while. I think we played some of our best offense with SJ on the bench today in the 2nd half.
Don't forget, when DC comes back, we will (hopefully) probably not have to worry about it anymore.
It’s definitely going to be a non issue when DC comes back.

I think the fact that we played our best offense doesn’t take into account the contact of Butler doing something differently in the 2nd than the 1st half. It still remains to be seen if that lineup actually works against a team that decides to stay big.

Reaction Score
It’s definitely going to be a non issue when DC comes back.

I think the fact that we played our best offense doesn’t take into account the contact of Butler doing something differently in the 2nd than the 1st half. It still remains to be seen if that lineup actually works against a team that decides to stay big.
I think the idea is that they went small because we were scoring fairly easily against their big lineup.
The lane was open often, and we were creating mismatches with their switches.

No doubt we will lose something on defense when we go small, but we should gain offensively by having another dribble/pass/shoot athlete on the floor. If they balance out, or at least come close, and we've stolen the few minutes we need to steal, then we're fine.

Reaction Score
We have to learn to defend without fouling. Only gripe.

Newton was 1-8 for three and we won.

During warm-ups he wasn't hitting very many 3s. Missing most of them and not really close on a lot of them. Not sure what his deal is, but his shooting has gotten worse.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I know we’re suppose to be pretty bias, but did no one really not notice how bad the lineup was when Butler left their big on the floor?

It also resulted in Karaban fouling out. If teams decide to not match our small ball lineup I don’t think it’ll be sustainable.

I agree.

Johnson has to cut back the silly fouls. Someone as athletic and mobile as he is shouldn't be in foul trouble in only 20 minutes of game time against a team like Butler. Part of being center is that you will pick up some fouls on help defense, which means you don't have fouls to give away.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think the idea is that they went small because we were scoring fairly easily against their big lineup.
The lane was open often, and we were creating mismatches with their switches.

No doubt we will lose something on defense when we go small, but we should gain offensively by having another dribble/pass/shoot athlete on the floor. If they balance out, or at least come close, and we've stolen the few minutes we need to steal, then we're fine.
I’m honestly wondering if that’s the case. I got distracted a little bit in the 2nd half so I’m not sure if something did happen for them to make that change. Have to go back in watch.

I think for like the last 10 minutes their center was 6’7 Telford. And well if you think he’s going to be effective against Karaban and Castle then… they deserved what they got lol

Definitely was not a good idea to start playing our game after the early success they had.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I agree.

Johnson has to cut back the silly fouls. Someone as athletic and mobile as he is shouldn't be in foul trouble in only 20 minutes of game time against a team like Butler. Part of being center is that you will pick up some fouls on help defense, which means you don't have fouls to give away.
He does, but I’m not expecting that from him as a first year player being thrusted into playing 30 minutes a game now. It’s not a reasonable expectation.

Reaction Score
During warm-ups he wasn't hitting very many 3s. Missing most of them and not really close on a lot of them. Not sure what his deal is, but his shooting has gotten worse.
Maybe Newton needs eyeglasses, LOL

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I know NOTHING about basketball, but, anyway, here‘s my very basic thought: I just LOVE seeing our guys hitting free throws when it‘s late and the score is close.
horse drifting GIF

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Has Newtons free throw flattened out? It seems to have lost a little arc and he’s definitely not stroking it well from the line this year, compared to prior years
The second half stretch is just starting; he'll get it right.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
- Castle is really good. He's getting better every week, and tonight he looked fantastic. If this is his ceiling then we're really good. If it isn't.....wow.

- Karaban bounced back in a big way the last two weeks. Guess the finger is better!

- The small ball lineup could be a game-changer. Coaches will adjust to it, but we should be able to play it for a few minutes here and there. All 5 guys showed a lot of toughness in rebounding and defending in the post long enough that we went the last 11 or so minutes without a center on the court (EDIT: forgot that Samson came back in when Karaban fouled out).

- Gotta give props to Cam. That offensive rebound and timeout was the 2nd most clutch play of the game, followed by the most clutch, his dagger 3. What a sequence.

- Nice to see Stewart play some strong minutes. His defense still has a little ways to go, but man is he talented. Hit that 3, but the offensive rebound and spin and layup in the lane was a special move that not many freshmen can make.

Reaction Score
First, there is a bug running through the team. They came out like a sick team, not sharp, and the energy was low.

Perhaps this contributed to 9 first half turnovers. But they were very sloppy. We cleaned it up in the second half. Otherwise we would have been in deep doo doo.

Tonight showed how slim out margin for error is without a giant unicorn filling the lane. Newton is still not feeling it but got to the line 13 times. He had double figures from the foul line. The kid is a walking gut check.

Reaction Score
The energy on the whole bench including asst. coaches was great throughout the game. Love to see those guys jumping up and down and chest bumping. What a great way to pass the winter.
Besides the X's and O's, DH ability to get a team that has little to prove (returning NCAA champ's, many of them), to play at this level and to get everyone to "buy in", is laudable. Focused, dedicated, and cerebral. The top of the mountain is reachable once again.

Reaction Score
Great win in a great environment, Hinkle is awesome. First half was sluggish and shots weren’t falling. Second half was just a clinic, it was fun to witness.

Newton played better in second half but he needs to get out of his funk. Love this team and thought a lot of players stepped up for a great road win.

It is comical how bad the calls were on Karaban, holy smokes

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The energy on the whole bench including asst. coaches was great throughout the game. Love to see those guys jumping up and down and chest bumping. What a great way to pass the winter.

The replay of the Spencer Dagger 3 has Karaban jumping off bench and air dunking the shot five feet before it reached the rim.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom