Butler Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Butler Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
That was much needed and enjoyable.

Keep the throwback unis.

DABD07F3-7FE6-4417-83E4-B48AE7A0E4E1.jpeg

Reaction Score
Watching the game I thought to myself I'd rather hit a lull in the middle of the season and lose some games and learn what losing feels like before we head to the big East tournament and the big dance.

As hard as it has been to watch these last few weeks, all will be forgotten if we show up and learn from mistakes in March.

Good win today!

Reaction Score
Four things stood out to me which was the difference between the last few games and this one:
1) We played MUCH better help defense and there were very few straight line layups (a few late when it didn't matter as much). Defense in general let us get out in transition more and opened up the offensive flow.
2) We dominated the boards. Someone in another thread mentioned gang rebounding. It works!!! Everyone in the starting lineup had at least four rebounds. This also let us get out in transition more and opened up the offensive flow.
3) Perhaps most importantly, Butler did not pressure our guards with the ball in the half court as other teams have lately. Did they see a scounting report? Pressuring our guards works. Perhaps because they were undermanned and don't have the same athletes. This allowed us to play our half court offense much more efficiently.
4) Sanogo was quicker to make a move with the ball in his hands. Didn't wait five seconds for the double team to come. And the few times he did he passed out for open looks. And he rebounded much better too.
I know Butler is not very good which can be reasons for all of the above but today was a step back in a positive direction and that's all we can ask for. Go UConn!!!

Reaction Score
Definitely could have given him more minutes in the 2nd half, but they went with getting Sanogo his confidence back. I can't complain even if it's not the choice I would have made
We all know Sanogo can destroy Butler. Now it's up to him not get outplayed again by Nunge, Freemantle, Croswell, Soriano, Ighodaro, Ndefo...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Keys to the game
  • Better defensive effort, communication and playing team defense. Much better on ball screens.
  • Sanogo played with confidence and dominated the boards, got big buckets and defended quite well. Our best player and we need him to be. Much improved passing.
  • Hawk was active, kept rebounding attacking and shooting. He has a tendency to fade of late
  • Newton played like the PG he is, attacking, passing, taking good shots. Key to that is less on ball time for Andre . AJax played off the ball and we looked better as a result.
Karaban made big buckets but continues to struggle on the defensive end. Joey with too many turnovers and soft D, but hopefully his shot can fall. Diarra holds the ball and dribbles in place too much on offense, but brings the D spark. Alleyne didn’t look bad but didn’t do much.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Clingan only 14 minutes in a 30 point blowout win. I'll never understand it.
In a game like this, who really gives a crap? Once SJ came in, it would make more sense if you complained about Springs only getting a cameo.

Reaction Score
That looked like the team that was #2 in the country. Same with the team in the first half of the Seton Hall game. Maybe we’re turning the corner? Much needed confidence boost going into Xavier. See you all at Gampel!

Felt like I was watching a WBB game. Very impressive and good to see Samson get some minutes. Free throw shooting may have been only downside today…

Reaction Score
Glad to hear they got the win. A nice blow out should perk up the locker room. They needed a rebound.

Reaction Score
19 threes attempted might be the lowest on the season.

Saw a lot more offense dedicated on getting to the rim and a lot more drives. Saw a few backdoor cuts too. :)

More FTs attempted than threes attempted.

Sanogo passed the ball MUCH better today. Overall so much different than what we’ve seen during Big East play. Hopefully we keep this play up against Xavier. If we do with their big then we might have our season back.
I wouldn’t say Sanogo passed MUCH better today. He did make a couple of very nice passes from the high post but no passes out of the double team is still a concern.

Liked posting up Jackson a couple of times. If he can make a couple of baskets posting up he would be awesome passing out from there.

Reaction Score
Four things stood out to me which was the difference between the last few games and this one:
1) We played MUCH better help defense and there were very few straight line layups (a few late when it didn't matter as much). Defense in general let us get out in transition more and opened up the offensive flow.
2) We dominated the boards. Someone in another thread mentioned gang rebounding. It works!!! Everyone in the starting lineup had at least four rebounds. This also let us get out in transition more and opened up the offensive flow.
3) Perhaps most importantly, Butler did not pressure our guards with the ball in the half court as other teams have lately. Did they see a scounting report? Pressuring our guards works. Perhaps because they were undermanned and don't have the same athletes. This allowed us to play our half court offense much more efficiently.
4) Sanogo was quicker to make a move with the ball in his hands. Didn't wait five seconds for the double team to come. And the few times he did he passed out for open looks. And he rebounded much better too.
I know Butler is not very good which can be reasons for all of the above but today was a step back in a positive direction and that's all we can ask for. Go UConn!!!
Didn’t see Sanogo pass out from double team but he did make a couple of nice passes from the high post.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say Sanogo passed MUCH better today. He did make a couple of very nice passes from the high post but no passes out of the double team is still a concern.

Liked posting up Jackson a couple of times. If he can make a couple of baskets posting up he would be awesome passing out from there.
He passed out of the double team multiple times today, and did it as the double was coming before the passing lanes closed

Reaction Score
Keys to the game
  • Better defensive effort, communication and playing team defense. Much better on ball screens.
  • Sanogo played with confidence and dominated the boards, got big buckets and defended quite well. Our best player and we need him to be. Much improved passing.
  • Hawk was active, kept rebounding attacking and shooting. He has a tendency to fade of late
  • Newton played like the PG he is, attacking, passing, taking good shots. Key to that is less on ball time for Andre . AJax played off the ball and we looked better as a result.
Karaban made big buckets but continues to struggle on the defensive end. Joey with too many turnovers and soft D, but hopefully his shot can fall. Diarra holds the ball and dribbles in place too much on offense, but brings the D spark. Alleyne didn’t look bad but didn’t do much.

Good summary minus Karaban he was solid on D. He helped well, made some plays and had a couple loose balls as well. He’s improving there every game.

Reaction Score
Felt like I was watching a WBB game. Very impressive and good to see Samson get some minutes. Free throw shooting may have been only downside today…
I've been watching both teams since I was a kid. Basketball is basketball, and Geno knows what he's doing. Hurley is a good coach, but he's got a legendary coach nextdoor, whose brain I hope he picks every now and then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom