Butler Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Butler Post Game Thread

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Does Kemba have any availability ?
Frankly if he told Newton this is your team and everyone got the message it would be a start . He is an outsider and that makes it doubly difficult for him unless you got the stones and swagger of a Khalid. That’s Hurley’s job.. You can’t manage a game from the sidelines , You need a leader on the floor.,
We don’t really need him to be a Kemba, Bazz , Adams , Sheffer, Williams , Khalid, or even Price
I’ll take a Tate, KO, RB , Talik , Ricky
The skill level of those lead guards was different but they all could lead a team . This team has no leader which automatically reduces its basketball IQ.
I made that same observation after I attended the Buffalo game. It gets elexposed in competitive games especially late.
Hurley needs to go to Newton more often. He doesn’t he goes to AJ and Adama.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I forget if Clingan face Nunge much last game. Clingan has the height to deal with him full time.
He left him wide open and Nunge hit a 3. Later he guarded close outside and Nunge blew by him for a layup. Nudge’s ability to shoot make him a challenge for Clingan. Going to have to play that just right.

Reaction Score
"His missed bunnies are mostly uncalled fouls." Lol, come on, guy. We're all glad he a had a good game, but there's no need to come up with excuses for those.

You made an account just to say this?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Bring on X, can't wait

Reaction Score
Meh. UConn beat a Butler team that (1) didn’t pressure our guards and (2) had no big man double team to neutralize Sanogo and (3) didn’t take the ball to the rim. The three UConn weaknesses that Xavier, PC, Marquette, and STJ all exposed and pounded UConn with.

A necessary win. But not one that proved that they’ve solved any of their weaknesses. Will have to wait for Xavier Wednesday night to see if they’ve figured anything out.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We all know Sanogo can destroy Butler. Now it's up to him not get outplayed again by Nunge, Freemantle, Croswell, Soriano, Ighodaro, Ndefo...
True statement, BUT...

Sanogo will play better taking each game one at a time.

The team will perform better playing one game game at a time.

A comment like yours encourages thinking ahead.

It suggests that what you say isn't self-evident, and therefore must be part of this thread in order to put today's victory in proper perspective as 'provisional success.'

What value has there been in the many, "Yeah, but Xavier..." comments?

Haven't comments like those at least subtly encouraged you to jump further ahead than the next game?

And when we do this, aren't we trying to show off how smart we are, and be right, and cover our asses so that we don't appear unaware that today's success might not last, or don't seem foolish if it doesn't.

Doesn't this contradict one of the strongest messages a coaching staff can impart to the players?

Do you compliment your loved ones, family, friends, and co-workers this in a future-insecure way?

Do you accept compliments favorably when they are delivered to you this way?

Is this the message you want the coaches to be imparting?

Is this how you want the players to be talking amongst themselves?

My favorite thing about today's game was that it wasn't the recent 'same old same old' so much, and when something didn't work the first time, the followup often did. The team showed its poise and focus most when it responded quickly to, addressed, and fixed mistakes.

As to Sanogo, I like that he blocked 2 shots, recorded 3 assists, made 5 of 6 free throws, gather 14 rebounds (7 offensive), and took a measured 3 attempt that missed. May it build.

I am hopeful that this was a turnaround game but I’m not confident. Butler is bad and was down several players. So maybe this was just the equivalent of beating some directional Maryland or something. But they were a bad team that we beat like we should beat bad teams. That is a good sign.

Translated:

I'm hopeful
I lack confidence
I disrespect the competition
The win therefore means little
But look: I'm dissing directionals
We did what we're supposed to do
And that adds up to something good

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
How did Butler beat Kansas State?
IKR, but there is this...

Screenshot_20230123-010837.png

Reaction Score
Pre-season, I'm not quite sure we all realized just how stacked the Big East was at the 4. There's at least 5 or 6 guys that can go off for 30 on any given night. This experience is going to be really important for AKs development.
Not sure if AK is athletic enough to eventually get to the NBA, but his ceiling in college seems to be a better version of Zach Freemantle. Karaban already is a better shooter in every category - 2pt %, 3pt %, FT %. Karaban is currently averaging the same # of rebounds that freshman year Freemantle did as well. He's going to be one of those 16-18 PPG, 8+ reb type of guy in a couple seasons

Reaction Score
Hurley needs to go to Newton more often. He doesn’t he goes to AJ and Adama.
I understand AJ as he is most naturally gifted PG .
He simply doesn’t know how or lacks confidence in himself .
Running an offense through a low post against teams that are prepared for it difficult at best.
How did Butler beat Kansas State?
The were at full strength for that game.

Reaction Score
Not sure if AK is athletic enough to eventually get to the NBA, but his ceiling in college seems to be a better version of Zach Freemantle. Karaban already is a better shooter in every category - 2pt %, 3pt %, FT %. Karaban is currently averaging the same # of rebounds that freshman year Freemantle did as well. He's going to be one of those 16-18 PPG, 8+ reb type of guy in a couple seasons

I agree completely and did before he stepped on campus. If he's willing to play internationally, his games SCREAMS Euroleague at me. I think he'll be All Big East as a junior and senior if he stays.

Reaction Score
I agree completely and did before he stepped on campus. If he's willing to play internationally, his games SCREAMS Euroleague at me. I think he'll be All Big East as a junior and senior if he stays.
Are there any NBA comps for him? He can definitely put on some muscle and bulk up to 220-225ish pounds. I think he's listed at 210 right now.

He'll definitely be an all-conference level player. He's one of those guys that teams are going to hate for the next 3 seasons lol

Reaction Score
Are there any NBA comps for him? He can definitely put on some muscle and bulk up to 220-225ish pounds. I think he's listed at 210 right now.

He'll definitely be an all-conference level player. He's one of those guys that teams are going to hate for the next 3 seasons lol
Lazy same race comp = Franz Wagner. Saddiq Bey also shows up as a top comp on KenPom, alongside Trey Murphy.

Quite a few of his KenPom comps made the NBA (Tyler Lydon and Dean Wade, too). He's got a chance for sure.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lazy same race comp = Franz Wagner. Saddiq Bey also shows up as a top comp on KenPom, alongside Trey Murphy.

Quite a few of his KenPom comps made the NBA (Tyler Lydon and Dean Wade, too). He's got a chance for sure.
Wagner is interesting. He was a lotto pick after his sophomore year too. NBA does covet good shooters. If he can bulk up be get to a consistent 40%+ 3pt shooter with good rebounding, he'll get a fair shake

Reaction Score
The only really disappointment to this game was how sad the Butler Bulldog was without his buddy Jonathan. I think he was expecting to see his friend. I guess no one told him until he got to the game. Poor guy!

Reaction Score

Saddiq Bey is a great comp. Without watching any highlights... I recall him being a solid shooter, back cut threat, limited as a driver. Obviously both great shooters with high BBIQ. Good paser that sophomore year. I would guess he's a better pure athlete than Karaban at the same stage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom