Butler minutes...and rotation on Tuesday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Butler minutes...and rotation on Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Hard to find anything exceptional about Syracuse that would suggest they're downright scary.

They are not a good shooting perimeter team. They've thrived on 3s in their last two games but it's not who they are. For the year their 3 point shooting percentage is 29.8%. And they don't shoot all that many: UConn shoots twice as many and with greater accuracy (38%).

And overall the'yre not a very good shooting team: 37.5% versus 53% for UConn.

Decent guard play for sure...although the team averages 1 TO for each assist.

The scrambling style may be tailor made for creating ways for the Huskies to show off with some speed and elegance. Our defense should punish them.

Nothing scary.
While I agree that 'Cuse does not shoot well from beyond the arc, they shoot far more 3's than UConn. On the season, the Orange are 332/1113 (29.8%) whereas the Huskies are 289/756 (38.2%).

On a per game average, 'Cuse is 9/30 from 3 whereas UConn is 7.8/20.4 from 3.

Reaction Score
While I agree that 'Cuse does not shoot well from beyond the arc, they shoot far more 3's than UConn. On the season, the Orange are 332/1113 (29.8%) whereas the Huskies are 289/756 (38.2%).

On a per game average, 'Cuse is 9/30 from 3 whereas UConn is 7.8/20.4 from 3.
Oops. Guys my age should always be double-checked when reading columns of figures. Thanks.

But we still ain't scared, Q's mother wears combat boots !! :)

Reaction Score
If you look at the box score for the Syracuse - Washington game, one statistic basically explains why Syracuse won by a wide margin:

Syracuse took 71 shots
Washington took 52 shots

The two teams' shooting percentages were about the same; their number of made 3's were about the same; the 3-point percentage was about the same; and their made free throws were identical. It's just that Syracuse got up a lot more shots. To a great degree, the reason for that was turnovers, but there was also a huge advantage for the Orange in offensive rebounds.

So that suggests that if UConn can limit turnovers, control the boards at both ends reasonably well, and play its normal game, it should win handily. If Washington had done those things, the margin of victory (for either team) would have been razor-thin.
agree, UCONN had a few uncharacteristic turnovers in a row. Coach will address that...
It is still not Chong's turn this year...She has a summer to take care of her injury and other issues. If she can own this team next year, she can still have a new NCAA record----the player with fewest loss(1) and most wins in 4 year NCAA play.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but Butler just is not ready for prime time. She's not a work in process. Saniya, however, is a fine talent. Let's keep in mind how she's been hobbled by that IT band injury- very painful. We haven't seen her at her peak performance, or peak of Geno training. Lot's more in her, after she recovers over the spring and summer.
You don't recover from IT Band Syndrome; you learn how to manage it. Running and biking can cause or exacerbate the condition. I know because I have it.

Reaction Score
Nice thread. Big fans here and it's a wonderful time to be a UConn and/or a basketball fan.

Could we get a poll for the 5th starter? I like the Pheenom. CGA said he was considering going big and swinging Stewie out in the post game press conference.

The minutes that I'm hoping to see are 2 and 2 for "Tee" and "Polly":)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
You don't recover from IT Band Syndrome; you learn how to manage it. Running and biking can cause or exacerbate the condition. I know because I have it.

I suffered through IT band syndrome in my early 20s and was treated by a PT for a few weeks. It was extremely painful at the time; even walking down stairs (going up was a snap) was difficult.

However, in a few months' time I was fully recovered and (knock on wood) it never recurred. I never asked the PT what the usual prognosis was - I did not know that it could become chronic over long periods.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I suffered through IT band syndrome in my early 20s and was treated by a PT for a few weeks. It was extremely painful at the time; even walking down stairs (going up was a snap) was difficult.

However, in a few months' time I was fully recovered and (knock on wood) it never recurred. I never asked the PT what the usual prognosis was - I did not know that it could become chronic over long periods.
I've had it for years.

It can be caused by correctable things - bad shoes, an injury that causes an uneven gait, or even a handbag or backpack that causes an unnatural shift in posture. In those cases, it can be "cured" if the cause is found. Your PT may have corrected a postural thing or strengthened a series of muscles that supported you in a more natural position.

Reaction Score
So what does everyone think of Butler getting quality minutes against OSU and her spot in the rotation come Tuesday night?
I liked her coming in and can see that she's possibly the 7th in after Napheesa now that KLS is out. As much as I love Chong it seems that Geno is just not comfortable with her anymore in big spots. Of course I guess it all depends on the situation that unfolds.

Put yourself in Geno's shoes and let me know your rotation on Tuesday.
I had similar thoughts during the OSU game. The rotation will be Collier starting, Gabby first off the bench, then Chong. Uconn will need solid ball handlers those who can be counted on to withstand a double tripple trap.
Yet I can conceive Bigs down low protecting the basket and rebounding---Washington was destroyed by turnovers and one and done's--I suspect Uconn will spend today practicing outlet from traps and how to score on them.
I was pleased to pieces to see Butler getting good time in the OSU game--maybe he was testing her --and she passed the test.

Reaction Score
Cuse plays 4 guards/outside shooters. With Butler in that means Tuck will be defending out on the perimeter. Does not seem likely. Nan mentioned that Butler could be an answer to breaking the press. Definitely a plus, but then what? IMHO, Butler will get little to no time.
Gabby starts and plays great defense and also grabs many of those long rebounds that Washington could not corral. Maybe she does not hit the 3, but Gabby has been deadly from 12 to 15 ft. If Gabby or Tuck posts up, Cuse only plays one player over 5"11. I see Geno attacking inside and then out. UConn still has four good 3 pt. shooters in MO, Tuck, Stewie & Nurse.
Cuse is very small--their guards are 5"8. 5"9, 5'10, and 5'11. UConn would have the quickness in MO., Gabby & Nurse to handle that. Geno mentioned Stewie would probably be playing on the perimeter and Cuse top guard-Peterson- shoots a set shot that comes off very low. Washington gave too many open looks. UConn will have a hand in the face a little more than Washington did.
Washington did not handle the press and tried to dribble out of it. UConn passing game is too crisp. Gabby's passing has improved along with the rest of the team.

Cuse offense - By the way--Cuse still shot in the low 30% range yesterday. Even with all the open looks and turnovers.
Coach as usual you outlined the failures of Washington and a good method to open up Syracuse's defense.
Since this is just a matter of opinions--I would have Collier start (her team mates call her the ball magnet because she rebounds so well) and bring in Gabby--but it's 50/50 either or--Very good ball handlers will be a must against Syracuse--and the Orange will be looking towards the normal receivers of outlet passes and covering them (Moriah/Stewie/Nurse/Tuck in that order)---
If Uconn can shoot as it did against OSU---the Orange will be pealed --that's a big ifff and cuse will try to make the if a negative.
Washington shot itself in the temple by trying over and over to single handled run through traps without an acceptable outlet. Chantel was a liability--bad passes--not much scoring. In the 3rd quarter they almost found a method to get successfully away from the traps.
Final note- When the Orange was playing half court defense, Washington had open people along the baseline all day, but did not hit the open player. UConn could slow the game ala Texas game, and execute the half court offense all day against the very short Syracuse defense.
So, break the press, half court offense against the small Cuse team and play tighter perimeter D with a lot more rebounds than Washington could grab.
I like the odds for a UConn win. Let's do it!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Ditto. That's why the call it Syndrome!

Reaction Score
Barring injury or foul trouble and just 1 game left.IMO they only play 6 players.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I don't think UConn needs its 'bigs' to act big to win tomorrow. UConn will score so many points in transition that half court points are not very important. UConn's players will run a layup drill, with some kick outs for open 3's. On defense, Syracuse relies on confusing its opponents, causing them to panic, and there is no way that UConn gets flustered. Breaking the press => layup drill. If the game is a half court game, Syracuse is even more trouble, as they cannot score on UConn in the half court. The game will not be close and UConn will score over 100 points if Syracuse keeps up the press.

So may it be written. So may it be done!

Reaction Score
It's not about energy, but about raining 3's. Syracuse is a bona fide three-point threat club. And with KLS being out, that eliminates a key threat (albeit, emerging late in the season) from Connecticut. Neither Napheesa nor Gabbie can provide that threat. But Gabbie is a threat to do everything else- rebound, offensive rebound, block, steal, score under the basket, shoot in the lane. She's been the unrecognized, unheralded spark plug for two years.

Gabby was a High School Guard and recruited by Geno as a Guard, moved to forward because of the need to use her jumping ability properly.
Collier, per Geno, is an accomplished 3 point shooter (in practice, and both Gabby and Collier have hit the long 2, Collier has at least one 3 maybe more. Had blocks in OSU game. Collier is very effective near the basket and handles the ball well. Excellent rebounder. 5th starter or 6th player--flip a coin ..
Chong is a ball handler and can drive and score sometimes--does not seem to want to take the big 3 ball shot--and is slow latterly. Who then if Geno has to pull in another?? Courtney!! Can hit the 3, but bows to the big time players, isn't great in defense and at times looks lost. Lawlor?? Can drill the 3, has energy, ????

Reaction Score
Cuse plays 4 guards/outside shooters. \!
To add to Coach's outstanding analysis.....not only does Cuse want to shoot lots, they also count as a positive shot if the ball is around the rim, meaning that it creates a second chance for points. But UConn can easily take away that opportunity even without Natalie (as much as I'd love to see her get big minutes tomorrow). It's a 6 person rotation. Whether it's Gabby who starts (as she did at the beginning of the year) or Napheesa (who took over Gabby's starting position), that only counts for ego points during introduction. They will alternate and spell others so long as the game is close. Geno has gone with a 6 rotation before, and this is a mighty good one.

BTW, wouldn't it be great if Lou were in uniform and introduced? Geez, I'd almost want her to start and immediately be replaced, but this is the NC, and also Geno has tried that gambit before!

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Gabby was a High School Guard and recruited by Geno as a Guard, moved to forward because of the need to use her jumping ability properly.
Collier, per Geno, is an accomplished 3 point shooter (in practice, and both Gabby and Collier have hit the long 2, Collier has at least one 3 maybe more. H s in OSU game. Collier is very effective near the basket and handles the ball well. Excellent rebounder. 5th starter or 6th player--flip a coin ..
Chong is a ball handler and can drive and score sometimes--does not seem to want to take the big 3 ball shot--and is slow latterly. Who then if Geno has to pull in another?? Courtney!! Can hit the 3, but bows to the big time players, isn't great in defense and at times looks lost. Lawlor?? Can drill the 3, has energy, ????
She had no trouble taking (and making) the biggest 3-pointer of the Maryland game, which is in fact the biggest high-pressure shot anyone on the team has made all season. I'm not saying Saniya will see a ton of minutes tomorrow, but if she doesn't, it won't be because she's afraid to take a big shot.

I think Geno may use Chong to stretch out the Syracuse zone a little bit in Lou's absence, if he has to. He hinted last night that he'll first try to stretch it by moving Stewie out to the perimeter a little more. If that doesn't work, we might see Chong, but I'm guessing Geno would prefer that it not come to that, because she's not as good a defensive option as Gabby or Napheesa.

Reaction Score
She had no trouble taking (and making) the biggest 3-pointer of the Maryland game, which is in fact the biggest high-pressure shot anyone on the team has made all season. I'm not saying Saniya will see a ton of minutes tomorrow, but if she doesn't, it won't be because she's afraid to take a big shot. I think Geno may use Chong to stretch out the Syracuse zone a little bit in Lou's absence, if he has to. .
I hope you're right: it'd do great things for her in preparation for next season and send a good signal to the team that hard work and loyalty pay off. Absolutely: that 3 against Maryland was the biggest shot of the season. After the game, as Geno walked off the court and passed Saniya, he gave her a pat on the shoulder.

Reaction Score
Really surprised anyone thought otherwise. Collier starting in a national title game against a trapping press? Geno would put CD in the starting lineup before that.

Maybe because Collier had already started over Gabby during the regular season, when Collier had an even more substantial experience deficit?

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Really surprised anyone thought otherwise. Collier starting in a national title game against a trapping press? Geno would put CD in the starting lineup before that.
Well I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as that, but no, I'm not the least bit surprised that Gabby is starting. She's the best perimeter defender of anyone not already in the starting lineup, and perimeter defense will be important. This also seems like the type of opponent Gabby often thrives against. She has struggled at times finishing at the rim against frontcourts with a lot of size, but Syracuse is a team I think she should be able to score and rebound against effectively. I'm hoping for a big game from her tomorrow night.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Maybe because Collier had already started over Gabby during the regular season, when Collier had an even more substantial experience deficit?

That was early season experimentation against AAC competition and prior to KLS' improvement. This is the national championship game against a team that presses and traps.

Reaction Score
Hard to find anything exceptional about Syracuse that would suggest they're downright scary.

They are not a good shooting perimeter team. They've thrived on 3s in their last two games but it's not who they are. For the year their 3 point shooting percentage is 29.8%. And they don't shoot all that many: UConn shoots twice as many and with greater accuracy (38%).

And overall the'yre not a very good shooting team: 37.5% versus 53% for UConn.

Decent guard play for sure...although the team averages 1 TO for each assist.

The scrambling style may be tailor made for creating ways for the Huskies to show off with some speed and elegance. Our defense should punish them.

Nothing scary.
Remember KY's 49 minutes of dread, ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member