2021 Recruiting: - Busy recruitment is heating up for Samson Johnson | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Busy recruitment is heating up for Samson Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“It’s a lot of schools that have been talking to him,” said David. “Honestly, at this point I have lost track. Cincinnati, St. John’s, Connecticut, those schools have been calling a lot. Also, I know Xavier offered, Providence, Miami, it is a lot of schools, and he is taking calls and doing zoom meetings when he can.”

Reaction Score
“It’s a lot of schools that have been talking to him,” said David. “Honestly, at this point I have lost track. Cincinnati, St. John’s, Connecticut, those schools have been calling a lot. Also, I know Xavier offered, Providence, Miami, it is a lot of schools, and he is taking calls and doing zoom meetings when he can.”

Not too wowed by the schools recruiting him other than us. Cinci and St. John's aren't exactly powerhouses or even trending up as programs.

I think he could benefit from a later commitment date. With kuminga, Sanogo, nutter, and farrakhan gone he should have a chance to be a team leader and #1 or #2 option of offense

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Not too wowed by the schools recruiting him other than us. Cinci and St. John's aren't exactly powerhouses or even trending up as programs.

I think he could benefit from a later commitment date. With kuminga, Sanogo, nutter, and farrakhan gone he should have a chance to be a team leader and #1 or #2 option of offense
What happened to Nutter?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Pretty sure he graduated. He is going to be a gem for St. Peter's. Always loved his game as a mid-major type. Thought he deserved more offers than he got.
Oh i thought he was a sophomore.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Finishing Oops on the break seems to be his strong suit in the two highlight videos I watched. Decent stroke from 3 for a big. Seems to favor the corner three. Opportunistic shot blocker - doesn't seem to be a major part of his game. Handling the ball in the open court on a breakaway seemed kind of like an adventure into uncharted and sketchy territory.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
In my earlier post, said it didn't look like shot blocking was a big part of his game. Then today I ran across this, totally by accident. So strike that line about blocking from my earlier post.

Like most developmental bigs defense namely shot blocking and altering is his best skill atm.

Kid has worked himself up to a consensus top 90 prospect. We were on him early and never let up. His mentor has a big time relationship with staff. We need to close him.

Reaction Score

11 PTS
10 REB
0 AST

2 TO
2 STL
1 BLK (and a bunch altered)

5/8 2FG
0/0 3FG
1/1 FT

• Quick as hell. +++++ wingspan. I think I saw it listed as 7'5 the other day. Fantastic motor. Jumps out the gym--much like Akok in that regard.
  • Solid perimeter defender. Spent quite a bit of time locking up guards full court. Cut off the baseline multiple times on guards. He made some nice defensive plays in this game on the ball moving laterally and getting into the help. Much quicker laterally than most 6’10-6’11 guys playing d1.
  • NOT a good post defender--just too skinny. You could tell TPS was missing Sanogo’s presence down there this game.
  • Not a very good fundamental rebounder. Doesn’t go after it outside his range and is too skinny to really hit anyone. Gets pushed around. But he’s tall and can jump, so he got some this game. He needs size to take it to the next level rebounding-wise.
  • Offense basically doesn’t exist outside of dunks. Had one little jump hook but it was a prayer shot.
  • His 1 FT looked like a pretty smooth stroke. Certainly better looking than Akok’s at the same stage--though Akok actually was taking 3s in HS. Gotta think shooting has a chance to be an important piece of his game.
  • His timing and instinct for blocking shots is ok. Nowhere near Akok’s level though. More of a positional defender with length.
  • Hands aren’t great. Missed a few passes.
  • He and Chris Jiao the 7’ Chinese kid on the team both got handled by Cliff. Makes it more impressive to me that Sanogo really took Cliff’s lunch in the 1v1 matchup.
  • First to help his teammates off the floor even when he’s on the other side of the court. Hurley surely noticed that.

Averaged 2.6 blocks per game in the 7 games listed online.

Overall a pretty good game for him. Got a bunch of dunks, more rebounds than I expected and played solid perimeter D. Needs to work on getting stronger and adding shooting 3s as a regular part of his game.

Various sites have him listed at #70, #108, #119. I think that seems about right based on current production and considering ceiling. Higher rated if you value ceiling and NBA potential.

Reaction Score
would love to lock down johnson, riley, and hunter/diggins so hurley can rest easy until next summer and focus on a grad transfer.

a grad transfer is key to opening up another roster spot in 2022. as of now only cole and adams are expected to be graduating and maybe akok will go pro, but that's still only 2 or 3 open spots (1 of which is earmarked for clingan). getting a grad transfer would mean at least 3 or 4 open spots for 2022

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Samson Johnson sounds like someone from Rock Ridge.
F99C7B84-2DF6-4089-949A-35AD2D1E9CEB.jpeg

Reaction Score

vs new brunswick. Watch this only because the announcer is absolutely hilarious. Also some people got hauled out by the cops in the 4th quarter.

15 PTS
6 REB
0 AST

2 TO
STL
3 BLK

7/8 2FG
0/1 3FG
1/2 FT
  • Getting experience at the 4 and 5 is going to be valuable for him going forward.
  • Sat about 15 minutes of the game with foul trouble.
  • Plays very conservatively. He is a very very low usage guy. Just focuses on moving the ball and getting looks he’s practically guaranteed to make. I think all but 2 of his baskets were alley oops and 1 other was a dunk. That is obviously very effective for him right now, and for a team as talented as TPS. Not sure if that is better for a recruit, or playing for a school where he’s able to make a bunch of mistakes and keep the ball in his hands a ton.
  • Sharife Cooper shot 30+ free throws this game. Kid is good, maybe too small for the NBA though.
O.S.C. Giveback Classic - McEachern & SHARIFE COOPER vs. The Patrick School
  • This jump hook could be a good move for him playing the 4. Gotta think he’ll get some mismatches at 6’10-11 down there in the NBE.
  • Good block. Almost saves it too--coaches love a shotblocker that has the wherewithal to try to keep it in play.
  • Great back cut. He and Sanogo have really good chemistry w/ these plays later in the season too.
  • He can jump.
  • Pretty simple baseline double-team here, but this really shows his length and willingness to commit to the double even versus a super talented guard like cooper.
  • I like that he committed to making contact as the shot was in the air here. Relies too much on just outjumping guys usually. I bet his time with Sanogo later in the season would help with that--Sanogo really moves people with his ass.

Reaction Score

vs new brunswick. Watch this only because the announcer is absolutely hilarious. Also some people got hauled out by the cops in the 4th quarter.

15 PTS
6 REB
0 AST

2 TO
STL
3 BLK

7/8 2FG
0/1 3FG
1/2 FT
  • Getting experience at the 4 and 5 is going to be valuable for him going forward.
  • Sat about 15 minutes of the game with foul trouble.
  • Plays very conservatively. He is a very very low usage guy. Just focuses on moving the ball and getting looks he’s practically guaranteed to make. I think all but 2 of his baskets were alley oops and 1 other was a dunk. That is obviously very effective for him right now, and for a team as talented as TPS. Not sure if that is better for a recruit, or playing for a school where he’s able to make a bunch of mistakes and keep the ball in his hands a ton.
  • Sharife Cooper shot 30+ free throws this game. Kid is good, maybe too small for the NBA though.
  • This jump hook could be a good move for him playing the 4. Gotta think he’ll get some mismatches at 6’10-11 down there in the NBE.
  • Good block. Almost saves it too--coaches love a shotblocker that has the wherewithal to try to keep it in play.
  • Great back cut. He and Sanogo have really good chemistry w/ these plays later in the season too.
  • He can jump.
  • Pretty simple baseline double-team here, but this really shows his length and willingness to commit to the double even versus a super talented guard like cooper.
  • I like that he committed to making contact as the shot was in the air here. Relies too much on just outjumping guys usually. I bet his time with Sanogo later in the season would help with that--Sanogo really moves people with his ass.

Mau is our height expert around here and his mauserment puts Samson at 6'6-6'7...

Thanks Ricker always enjoy your overviews. Let me ask you the more I look at his videos it looks like he’s more 6’6” maybe 6’7” than the profiles. Not a bad thing just saying. Can he handle it? If you watch the whole video a few replies ago there is all dunks and 3 pointers off the catch. The only one that sticks out was a fast break pass to him in which he had to dribble it 2-3 times and had a tough time gathering it back in. Just curious. Thanks

Reaction Score

Vs Roselle in county finals

11 PTS
5 REB
0 AST

1 TO
0 STL
1 BLK

4/5 2FG
1/1 3FG
FT
  • I like his chemistry with Sanogo. Different styles and both can play a little bit inside out.
  • Next year, I hope Johnson gets more scoring opportunities. He basically gets just lobs, open dunks, and the widest of wide open 3s right now. TPS loses a lot this year, so I hope 20-21 season he can take more challenging shots and get comfortable making mistakes.
  • You can trust Johnson guarding practically anyone on the perimeter. Switched onto the Roselle guards many times and didn’t get blown by. I think his biggest weakness is going to be defending the post vs stronger players.
  • Only ended up playing maybe 18 minutes in this game because of foul trouble again. Will definitely be a concern.
  • 0 assists in 3 games so far isn't wow'ing me. He doesn't seem to turn it over much on the perimeter, just isn't looking for scoring passes.
ROSELLE CATHOLIC VS THE PATRICK SCHOOL
  • He gets the ball out pretty quick when he rebounds. Not just waiting for a guard to hand off on the baseline like so many bigs do. Definitely a +

Reaction Score
That’s one of Chief’s strengths - evaluating raw, developing Bigs. An experienced eye test is more important than the box score at this point.

well what’s the scouting report on him Chief?

Reaction Score
Will need to dedicate himself to the weight room/strengthening program for comp vs BE Bigs.. Ironic for someone with the first name of Samson..Crazy upside as an athletic Big. Should increase his BB IQ simply by being in the gym..Playin' ball.. Looks like a slightly taller version of Akok.. Lets get AS on a Zoom call with him and close the deal..LOL

C

Chief00

well what’s the scouting report on him Chief?
Agree, he had a muscle guy playing with him in HS (Sonago), so at the HS level his lack of strength wasn’t exposed as it would be in college and against stronger opponents. Also, agree a plus is he can guard perimeter guys. Chief is old school, with a bias towards fight through the screen and guard your man but of course switches are sometimes necessary. He’s willing to work, so the weight room will be his friend. Chief thinks he can be active around the basket on both ends and has good timing on his jump. Samson also has pretty soft shot potential.

Reaction Score
Is Kimani running point on this? I know he did with Sanogo. 247 doesn’t have anyone listed though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom