OT: - Burlington Breweries | The Boneyard

OT: Burlington Breweries

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I am going to Burlington,VT this weekend to check out some good brews. Which breweries in and around the city are a must to hit up? Any on I-91 or I-89 I shouldn’t miss either?

I want to go to Foam, but beyond that I am wide open. I don’t think there will be time to go to Stowe and beyond so unfortunately Alchemist, Von Trapp and Hill Farmstead are out.

Reaction Score
Citizen Cider. Almost all their ciders are unsweetened. There's always Magic Hat too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you like hard cider, I agree that Citizen Cider is a fun stop with lots of ciders that are only available there.

Beyond Foam, I don't think there are any stellar breweries right in Burlington. There is Zero Gravity and Switchback but I've never been blown away by either. I know there are two newer ones, Four Quarters and Burlington Beer, but I haven't had the beer from either. The Farmhouse is a great restaurant and beer bar where you will probably find the best taps in town. Magic Hat is mediocre at best imo.

If beer is the purpose of your trip you are honestly best stopping in Waterbury imo. Between Blackback Pub, The Reservoir and Prohibition Pig you should be able to drink all the best of VT beers. And you can hit the Alchemist if you want to load up on cans to bring home, and/or head over to Waitsfield (five minutes away) to hit Lawson's (in which case you should definitely hit Mad Taco).

Reaction Score
I am going to Burlington,VT this weekend to check out some good brews. Which breweries in and around the city are a must to hit up? Any on I-91 or I-89 I shouldn’t miss either?

I want to go to Foam, but beyond that I am wide open. I don’t think there will be time to go to Stowe and beyond so unfortunately Alchemist, Von Trapp and Hill Farmstead are out.
The Farmhouse Tap and Grill isn't a brewery, but they have good food and great beer on tap, including Alchemist and Hill Farmstead beers.

If you're stopping for food on the way up or way back, Prohibition Pig in Waterbury has great beer on tap that they make (as well as a nice selection) and very good food.

Foam is a must, but other than that I agree with 88: good beer, not great beer.

Reaction Score
If you’re hitting Burlington and can travel to the surrounding towns (or stop on your way to/from Burlington), these are also excellent breweries worth visiting-

-Frost
-Fiddlehead

Four Quarters is top-notch. Zero Gravity also makes very good beers. You might as well also go to Queen City as it’s right across the street from ZG.

River Roost in White River Junction is really nice and a good stopping point on your way to Burlington. Big Fattys BBQ in WRJ has a great taplist of VT beers and good food.

Cheers!

Reaction Score
I should also add that the distro of cans from VT breweries has gotten so good that even the larger gas stations have amazing selection. I stopped at a large “truck stop” type one 1-2 exits before the Waterbury VT exit on I89 this past summer. They had a huge walk in cooler with a stack of cases of Sip, tons of Alchemist, and at least 20 other high quality VT beers. Filled a cooler just there alone.

what a time to be alive!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
No doubt on Foam.

Along Rt. 89 is Upper Pass. I hear great things about them. Near Royalton.

Long Trail may be a bit off the path.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Foam is the best in Burlington IMO. Fiddlehead is good too and you can get a decent pizza. Just don’t get to Magic Hat. The Hot Topic of breweries. Switchback is good too.

Best bang for buck is going to any restaurant where you can try them all. And other hard to find beers from places like Alchemist and Hill Farmstead.

3 Needs is a ton of fun. Spent way too much time there after doing the Burlington Beerbus in my bachelor party.

Reaction Score
Just drive east and go to Hill Farmstead. But go there last as its better than anything else around. I’d also reco the Scale House for food in Hardwick if you make the drive to HF.

Im a huge fan of Double Galaxy and a few of their others Two weeks ago they had a nice dark on and a Difference & Repetition which was very good.

Zero Gravity in Burlington makes a nice light lager, very easy to drink.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Just drive east and go to Hill Farmstead. But go there last as its better than anything else around. I’d also reco the Scale House for food in Hardwick if you make the drive to HF.

Im a huge fan of Double Galaxy and a few of their others Two weeks ago they had a nice dark on and a Difference & Repetition which was very good.

Zero Gravity in Burlington makes a nice light lager, very easy to drink.
Post/handle

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm getting dragged up to the sister-in-law's next weekend but was able to negotiate stops at Lawson's and The Alchemist on the way up. 1st time for each. They live just down the road from Fiddlehead so I think we can hit there, too. And we're going to see Steven Wright on Friday. Now that I think about it, I'm not getting dragged anywhere.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Any recommendations for good eats in Burlington?

I'm heading up there in December for two weeks for work. Haven't been there in over 30 years.

I use Hilton hotels for work so I'm probably staying at Hilton, Hilton Garden closer to "downtown" or a Homewood Suites closer to airport.

Reaction Score
Derail time...

stop at Pie in the Sky (i hope it's still there...) for some awesome brick oven pizza...they also serve beer

edit: i stand corrected, "stone hearth pizza" not brick oven. It's been a while

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm getting dragged up to the sister-in-law's next weekend but was able to negotiate stops at Lawson's and The Alchemist on the way up. 1st time for each. They live just down the road from Fiddlehead so I think we can hit there, too. And we're going to see Steven Wright on Friday. Now that I think about it, I'm not getting dragged anywhere.
If you are going to Lawson's you owe it to yourself to go to Mad Taco. Get a few tacos (including a smoked pork belly one) and a few pints of Hill Farmstead, or whatever other brewery you aren't visiting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Foam foam and more foam. Upper Pass is excellent, even if you don't visit. I love Cloud Drop.

Lawson's isn't close to Burlington, but is the best brewery visit in the state.

Have to run to a meeting, will add some other suggestions later. We are going up next weekend.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Thanks, lots of good suggestions. I’m a little bit of a beer snob so I’m more excited about the restaurant reviews I’ve gotten that say Alchemist and HF offerings are readily available. I’ve never had anything from HF so, although I can’t get to the brewery, I will def seek them out at restaurants.

I’ll have to stop at Prohibition Pig. It’s right on the route and I think I can convince the lady to do late lunch/dinner there on the way home Sunday.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Any recommendations for good eats in Burlington?

I'm heading up there in December for two weeks for work. Haven't been there in over 30 years.

I use Hilton hotels for work so I'm probably staying at Hilton, Hilton Garden closer to "downtown" or a Homewood Suites closer to airport.
The Farmhouse is probably your best bet. Great food and great taps. Same people also own a Mexican place called El Cortijo. I haven't been but I would trust any venture in which they are involved. Penny Cluse is great for breakfast; get there early or else there is a line. Nectar's for gravy fries late night, or for more basic breakfast in the morning.

Hilton Garden Inn is a slightly better location than the main Hilton, but either is fine and both are far preferable to the Homewood Suites (but if you do end up there, go to Al's French Frys).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks, lots of good suggestions. I’m a little bit of a beer snob so I’m more excited about the restaurant reviews I’ve gotten that say Alchemist and HF offerings are readily available. I’ve never had anything from HF so, although I can’t get to the brewery, I will def seek them out at restaurants.

I’ll have to stop at Prohibition Pig. It’s right on the route and I think I can convince the lady to do late lunch/dinner there on the way home Sunday.
If you go to Waterbury you really need to do the Pro Pig-Blackback Pub-Reservoir trifecta. They are each a frisbee throw away from each other and all offer awesome tap lists (and great food). I prefer Blackback overall, but love all three. There is also a craft beer store across the street from Pro Pig where you can load up stuff to bring home.

PS: If the lady friend is bored, there are some quaint shops where she can while away the time.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If you’re hitting Burlington and can travel to the surrounding towns (or stop on your way to/from Burlington), these are also excellent breweries worth visiting-

-Frost
-Fiddlehead

Four Quarters is top-notch. Zero Gravity also makes very good beers. You might as well also go to Queen City as it’s right across the street from ZG.

River Roost in White River Junction is really nice and a good stopping point on your way to Burlington. Big Fattys BBQ in WRJ has a great taplist of VT beers and good food.

Cheers!

Post/handle
You missed the obvious one.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
PS: If the lady friend is bored, there are some quaint shops where she can while away the time.

Haha, no way. She hates shopping and drinks beer with me. She has been to 60 CT breweries with me this year and can drink me under the table any day.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Haha, no way. She hates shopping and drinks beer with me. She has been to 60 CT breweries with me this year and can drink me under the table any day.
Awesome. Mrs. 8893 used to be that way, too. Then we got married...

Short pours at Pro Pig are great for variety.

Reaction Score
Foam foam and more foam. Upper Pass is excellent, even if you don't visit. I love Cloud Drop.

Lawson's isn't close to Burlington, but is the best brewery visit in the state.

Have to run to a meeting, will add some other suggestions later. We are going up next weekend.

I was at Lawsons two weekends ago and while the building is fine the beer isn’t close to the best in the state to me. But Lawson’s will sell you all manner of merchandise from hats to bike jerseys and skirts.

Reaction Score
I was at Lawsons two weekends ago and while the building is fine the beer isn’t close to the best in the state to me. But Lawson’s will sell you all manner of merchandise from hats to bike jerseys and skirts.

The pretzels are dope, though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom