OT: - Burlington Breweries | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Burlington Breweries

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The beers are truly awful. Badly made. I'm not crapping on the Sam Adams tier of craft beer, of which Sam makes quality beers, and so does Harpoon. Saranac just doesn't.
They have an audience and a price point, and they have an economy of scale because the FX Matt brewery, which owns the brand but also makes Matt's, Utica Club and a ton of contract beers, is still a very large regional brewer. It always reminded me of when Homer toured Duff and all the different beers were coming from the same vat. I drank it a bit when it first came out because my wife's family is from Utica and it was a thing to do.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They have an audience and a price point, and they have an economy of scale because the FX Matt brewery, which owns the brand but also makes Matt's, Utica Club and a ton of contract beers, is still a very large regional brewer. It always reminded me of when Homer toured Duff and all the different beers were coming from the same vat. I drank it a bit when it first came out because my wife's family is from Utica and it was a thing to do.

I will confess I have had only scarce amounts in recent years and it seemed worse than it was back in the day. I could be selling it short because what we see on shelves may be really old beer. I find that Harpoon is drastically better when fresh. I know that all beer is better fresh, but when a mediocre beer falls off it falls to drain pour level.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I will confess I have had only scarce amounts in recent years and it seemed worse than it was back in the day. I could be selling it short because what we see on shelves may be really old beer. I find that Harpoon is drastically better when fresh. I know that all beer is better fresh, but when a mediocre beer falls off it falls to drain pour level.
You're not selling it short. It's not very good and never was, and the better beers from Harpoon now are much better than anything Saranac ever made.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You're not selling it short. It's not very good and never was, and the better beers from Harpoon now are much better than anything Saranac ever made.

Had Harpoon One Hazy Summer at a concert in Boston and was surprised that it was really a very good pale ale. Just about ideal for a warm summer night. I want to try the spruce tip ale. They have done a good job being true to their core consumers yet evolving with the times.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sierra Nevada is definitely top notch in the large/national craft market. Magic Hat is just not a must see for a beer enthusiast going to VT.

I can't think of a single Sierra Nevada beer I've had where I thought it was one of the better tasting beers of any style- summer crisps, holiday ales, IPA's, etc. I just steer clear of it now.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I can't think of a single Sierra Nevada beer I've had where I thought it was one of the better tasting beers of any style- summer crisps, holiday ales, IPA's, etc. I just steer clear of it now.
I've always found them above-average as among the large, national "craft" beers. Their original pale ale was one of the all-time crowd pleasers for decades, and their Celebration Ale was my favorite beer, period, for many years, as was their Wet Hop Harvest Ale when that came out.

None of those taste special any more, but I think all of their beers remain quaffable.

Reaction Score

I find Harpoon better fresh as well. When I get a fresh batch I think it is one of my top 5 readily available beers. Leave it in the fridge 2-3 weeks and it seems a little bitter and the smooth/sweet qualities disappear.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've always found them above-average as among the large, national "craft" beers. Their original pale ale was one of the all-time crowd pleasers for decades, and their Celebration Ale was my favorite beer, period, for many years, as was their Wet Hop Harvest Ale when that came out.

None of those taste special any more, but I think all of their beers remain quaffable.

I get it, personal taste. I've just learned to stay away and avoid disappointment. I don't come across the decision to exclude a beer lightly. There were multiple "tasting" sessions in different environments and I've put it to the side.

Reaction Score
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale gets drastically better when you have a second one. First one is always slightly cringe worthy. I drink it when I am forced to visit a chain restaurant that features it as their only "real" beer.

All Sam Adams gives me a crushing headache.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Tough crowd. I still grab a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada or Magic Hat once or twice per year. I like to mix it up sometimes.
I love Sierra Nevada to death now. Their IPA is epic. Their Hazy Little Things and Hop Bullet IIPAs are staples here.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So the way I heard it, the first IPA's were brewed extra hoppy to better survive the voyage to India. If that's the case, why are they better enjoyed today fresh?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So the way I heard it, the first IPA's were brewed extra hoppy to better survive the voyage to India. If that's the case, why are they better enjoyed today fresh?
Because hops act as both a preservative and a bittering agent. Back then the preservative aspect was key but now it is the bitterness they impart that people desire, and that fades over time.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

That's partly true and partly a myth. But the extent of the truth of it is that hops have some preservative qualities. So it's more about keeping the beer from literally spoiling rather than tasting better (although it probably helped that too).

Reaction Score

The above have answered the historical myth angle well enough. I'll just add that hoppy pale ales were quite popular in England even before they began exporting to India. A great source on this topic: IPA: the executive summary

The flavors imparted from hop oils are some of the most volatile in beer. When brewing, some of these oils are converted into bitterness, which is a bit more stable than the aromatic compounds. Modern brewing techniques and procedures (like the extremely heavy use of "dry-hopping") have focused on ways to load hop-forward beers with these aromatic oils in a way that prevents as much of them as possible from converting into bitterness. However, this makes the beer often best consumed fresher for most intense flavor.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, thanks for the good ideas for beer and food. I'll report back with updates.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I went to a joint called Al's French Frys about 15 years ago and they had good fries. I'm going back next week.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I went to a joint called Al's French Frys about 15 years ago and they had good fries. I'm going back next week.
Hilton Garden Inn is a slightly better location than the main Hilton, but either is fine and both are far preferable to the Homewood Suites (but if you do end up there, go to Al's French Frys).
It's still there, still the same, i.e., great, classic joint. I recommended it to Chin if he stays out by the airport. Order a chili dog and see if they still say "Chili on that chili dog?"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's still there, still the same, i.e., great, classic joint. I recommended it to Chin if he stays out by the airport. Order a chili dog and see if they still say "Chili on that chili dog?"

I'll be working by the airport so I will check out Al's. I'll specifically order a chili dog.

Reaction Score
Al’s is a classic. Vintage sign and building. Pretty cool. My brother in law loves it. I’ve never tried it but it is a local institution it seems.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

By the way, the Prohibition Pig in Waterbury has the best Chili Dog you'll have anywhere.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Not one person has suggested the Alchemist?!

They don't have a brewery where you can hang out, but I go there and load up and then get a room for the night by Church Street in downtown Burlington. Down some Heady Topper in the room and then hit up some nice food and drinks in the city.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom