OT: - Burlington Breweries | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Burlington Breweries

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not one person has suggested the Alchemist?!

They don't have a brewery where you can hang out, but I go there and load up and then get a room for the night by Church Street in downtown Burlington. Down some Heady Topper in the room and then hit up some nice food and drinks in the city.
I am going to Burlington,VT this weekend to check out some good brews. Which breweries in and around the city are a must to hit up? Any on I-91 or I-89 I shouldn’t miss either?

I want to go to Foam, but beyond that I am wide open. I don’t think there will be time to go to Stowe and beyond so unfortunately Alchemist, Von Trapp and Hill Farmstead are out.
OP eliminated it from his consideration from the start; but nonetheless it was still mentioned and its beers suggested by at least a half dozen posters in the thread.

So, no, not one person.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
OP eliminated it from his consideration from the start; but nonetheless it was still mentioned and its beers suggested by at least a half dozen posters in the thread.

So, no, not one person.

Haha it’s all good. That always happens on Boneyard recommendation threads. I expected a bunch of people to tell me to go to Alchemist and HF.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I have returned from Beer Drinkers’ Disney World.

Some thoughts and reviews:

We got up on Saturday afternoon and, as a side note, the gf wanted to drive around UVM first and get a feel for the place in case any of her students want to apply there in the future. We both were impressed. Very nice campus and very short trip downtown.

First place was Simple Roots. They got pretty average reviews on Untappd and that’s clearly due to location bias. The IPA and DIPA I had there would be right up there with anything produced in CT, but they got like 3.8s. Perhaps standard Vermont beer, but they were excellent.

Went to Foam next. Wish I had more time. The brewery itself was awesome but I get the feeling it’s a better summertime brewery with the views of the lake. Best beer of the trip.

Next we hit Switchback, Queen City and Zero Gravity. Switchback was totally ehhhhh, Queen City would probably be good if you like porters, stouts and other darker beers. I don’t, and so it was the worst brewery we went to for my palate. Zero Gravity’s tap room was my favorite brewery of Saturday. Really cool spot. Beer isn’t as good as it is at Foam, and it’s probably not as good a place to hang out in summer as Foam is, but in the cold of November, it was cozy, had football on tv, and the Brett IPA was good.

We ended Saturday by going to Vermont Pub and Brewery, which we wouldn’t have minded skipping until the guy at Simple Roots said to go if for no other reason than to pay homage to the owner, who is the guy who started the whole Vermont brewery scene and was likely the reason we were even there in the first place. So we followed directions. It was OK and we left after one beer. Last place we hit Saturday was Zero Gravity’s American Flatbread. The pizza was totally worth it.

Sunday was Farm House for lunch and I had an Edward by Hill Farmstead and a Heady Topper. We really liked the food and the beer menu made this a must-go. After lunch we hit Citizen Cider. Cider isn’t really our thing but the gf’s friend wanted some cans so we complied. We then went to Burlington Beer Co and GoodWater on our way out of town. BBCo had a better tap room, but the beer I had at GoodWater was better than what I had at BBCo.

Final stops Sunday were Lawson’s and then Pro Pig. Lawson’s is the best brewery I’ve ever been to. Hands down. The taproom is brand new, the beers are A+ and the fireplace gives it a real ski lodge feel. It’s the perfect size for a brewery, has a great merch shop and they nailed the limited food menu. This is my ideal brewery.

I thought Pro Pig’s menu was too pricey. It’s good food but a small burger hardly bigger than a slider and a side of fries should not be $20. Gf liked the place and the beer but I don’t need to stop there again.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!

Reaction Score

We got up on Saturday afternoon and, as a side note, the gf wanted to drive around UVM first and get a feel for the place in case any of her students want to apply there in the future. We both were impressed. Very nice campus and very short trip downtown.

First place was Simple Roots. They got pretty average reviews on Untappd and that’s clearly due to location bias. The IPA and DIPA I had there would be right up there with anything produced in CT, but they got like 3.8s. Perhaps standard Vermont beer, but they were excellent.

Went to Foam next. Wish I had more time. The brewery itself was awesome but I get the feeling it’s a better summertime brewery with the views of the lake. Best beer of the trip.

Next we hit Switchback, Queen City and Zero Gravity. Switchback was totally ehhhhh, Queen City would probably be good if you like porters, stouts and other darker beers. I don’t, and so it was the worst brewery we went to for my palate. Zero Gravity’s tap room was my favorite brewery of Saturday. Really cool spot. Beer isn’t as good as it is at Foam, and it’s probably not as good a place to hang out in summer as Foam is, but in the cold of November, it was cozy, had football on tv, and the Brett IPA was good.

We ended Saturday by going to Vermont Pub and Brewery, which we wouldn’t have minded skipping until the guy at Simple Roots said to go if for no other reason than to pay homage to the owner, who is the guy who started the whole Vermont brewery scene and was likely the reason we were even there in the first place. So we followed directions. It was OK and we left after one beer. Last place we hit Saturday was Zero Gravity’s American Flatbread. The pizza was totally worth it.

Sunday was Farm House for lunch and I had an Edward by Hill Farmstead and a Heady Topper. We really liked the food and the beer menu made this a must-go. After lunch we hit Citizen Cider. Cider isn’t really our thing but the gf’s friend wanted some cans so we complied. We then went to Burlington Beer Co and GoodWater on our way out of town. BBCo had a better tap room, but the beer I had at GoodWater was better than what I had at BBCo.

Final stops Sunday were Lawson’s and then Pro Pig. Lawson’s is the best brewery I’ve ever been to. Hands down. The taproom is brand new, the beers are A+ and the fireplace gives it a real ski lodge feel. It’s the perfect size for a brewery, has a great merch shop and they nailed the limited food menu. This is my ideal brewery.

I thought Pro Pig’s menu was too pricey. It’s good food but a small burger hardly bigger than a slider and a side of fries should not be $20. Gf liked the place and the beer but I don’t need to stop there again.

Next time skip Pro Pig and go to Reservoir Tavern. Much better in my opinion.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

So, no, not one person.

And it isn't in Burlington. The reality is that it's easier to get Heady elsewhere now. Certainly Winooski would have it.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
DUDE YEA MAN IM TOTALLY FROM BURLINGTON I JUST ****ING LOVE THE TAKING MY SUBY TO THE MOUNTAINS AND SHREDDIN THE POW ALL DAY WHILE RAGING GREAT TUNES. YEA I GO TO UVM AND CATCH RIPPIN SHOWS ALL ****IN DAY AT NECTARS AND CHILL AT FARMHOUSE WHERE THEY HAVE THE FIRE LOCAL BREW ON TAP MOST DEF. YO BRAH HAVE YOU MET MY BOY WAGZ HE HAS BEEN WRAPPING FOR LIKE A YEAR OR MORE AND HIS **** IS SO ****ING FILTHY AND MY BUDDY SILAS IS A DOPE GLASS DESIGNER CUSTOMS ONLY BRO. YOU COMIN TO TWIDDLE THIS WEEKEND AT HIGHER GROUND? WHAT ABOUT GRACE POTTER ON THE WATER? YOU INTO THAT SCENE OR WHAT? CUZ IF YOU ARE I CAN GET YOU THE ****ING DOPEST LAKE MONSTERS FITTED FROM MY BOY IN WINOOSKI YEAH THAT'S RIGHT WINOOSKI BRO. HEY MAN WANNA SMOKE SOME OF THIS FLAME SHATTER THAT MY BOY LARSON BLASTS? OH NAH YOU ONLY ABOUT THAT FLOW? PUFFIN' FLOWER ALL DAY? DUDE YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT ****IN STATE BRO 802 RAGERS AND HEADY ASS CHICKS WHO JUST LOVE SHREDDIN SOME JER AND TOSSIN THE NODS HIS WAY ON THE REG

Curiouser
Reaction Score
DUDE YEA MAN IM TOTALLY FROM BURLINGTON I JUST ****ING LOVE THE TAKING MY SUBY TO THE MOUNTAINS AND SHREDDIN THE POW ALL DAY WHILE RAGING GREAT TUNES. YEA I GO TO UVM AND CATCH RIPPIN SHOWS ALL ****IN DAY AT NECTARS AND CHILL AT FARMHOUSE WHERE THEY HAVE THE FIRE LOCAL BREW ON TAP MOST DEF. YO BRAH HAVE YOU MET MY BOY WAGZ HE HAS BEEN WRAPPING FOR LIKE A YEAR OR MORE AND HIS **** IS SO ****ING FILTHY AND MY BUDDY SILAS IS A DOPE GLASS DESIGNER CUSTOMS ONLY BRO. YOU COMIN TO TWIDDLE THIS WEEKEND AT HIGHER GROUND? WHAT ABOUT GRACE POTTER ON THE WATER? YOU INTO THAT SCENE OR WHAT? CUZ IF YOU ARE I CAN GET YOU THE ****ING DOPEST LAKE MONSTERS FITTED FROM MY BOY IN WINOOSKI YEAH THAT'S RIGHT WINOOSKI BRO. HEY MAN WANNA SMOKE SOME OF THIS FLAME SHATTER THAT MY BOY LARSON BLASTS? OH NAH YOU ONLY ABOUT THAT FLOW? PUFFIN' FLOWER ALL DAY? DUDE YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT ****IN STATE BRO 802 RAGERS AND HEADY ASS CHICKS WHO JUST LOVE SHREDDIN SOME JER AND TOSSIN THE NODS HIS WAY ON THE REG
Was a little surprised not to see this copypasta when OP first started the thread.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Your experience mostly matches mine. I love the Lawson’s brewery. It’s ideal. Even in summer. I am a fan of Pro Pig, better food than Reservoir for sure. It’s pricey, but everything in Vermont costs more than elsewhere. The Chili Dog is awesome. Foam is indeed more fun in summer. They need to work on the cool weather ambience. IPAs are great though.

Reaction Score
Your experience mostly matches mine. I love the Lawson’s brewery. It’s ideal. Even in summer. I am a fan of Pro Pig, better food than Reservoir for sure. It’s pricey, but everything in Vermont costs more than elsewhere. The Chili Dog is awesome. Foam is indeed more fun in summer. They need to work on the cool weather ambience. IPAs are great though.

I just don’t like Pro Pig. I’m not sure why, maybe it is because I’ve had so much exposure to southern bbq. My whole family thinks its weak.

Reservoir is super dependable. I love the burger, mac and cheese, big salads with awesome ingredients and the new chicken steam buns are fantastic (think high quality chik- filet sandwich with a very sweet, very hot sauce, a pickle & some homemade buttermilk ranch).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I just don’t like Pro Pig. I’m not sure why, maybe it is because I’ve had so much exposure to southern bbq. My whole family thinks its weak.

Reservoir is super dependable. I love the burger, mac and cheese, big salads with awesome ingredients and the new chicken steam buns are fantastic (think high quality chik- filet sandwich with a very sweet, very hot sauce, a pickle & some homemade buttermilk ranch).
I’m telling you, Blackback Pub beats them both. Especially for dinner.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Thanks. I will do my best to add to to this in December.

Reaction Score

Great. Will definitely try it next time. It’s one of those places we’ve decided not to go to so many times that my mind has kind of blocked it out. I’ll be pissed if I’ve been missing out for years!

Reaction Score

Agreed. We've been to all the beer bars in that area and Blackback always has the best tap selection.
Their food is really good too, those nachos are ridiculous.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, been here a week, and while not from Burlington,Long Trail's Imperial Stout Sour is by far best beer I've had this week. The gose takes some of the thickness out of the stout and the stout takes some of the tart out of the gose.

One of the best beers I've had in years.

IMG_20191214_182917110~2.jpg

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So, been here a week, and while not from Burlington,Long Trail's Imperial Stout Sour is by far best beer I've had this week. The gose takes some of the thickness out of the stout and the stout takes some of the tart out of the gose.

One of the best beers I've had in years.

View attachment 49124
Interesting. Someone check on @storrsroars . Something like this could kill him.

Not a fan of Long Trail but I would try this out of curiosity. I like blending cider with Guinness (I think they call it a “Snakebite”) and this sounds like it would result in a similar taste.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Knocked back Heady Topper, Focal Banger and a L'il Juicy today at Barnyard pizza in Winooski today.

Had Heady Toppers and Bangers out of the can. Heady Toppers are way over rated. Focal Banger is worth every bit of its reputation. Had a couple of sips of L'il Juicy out of the tap and wasn't too impressed. Then I killed the last 10-12 ounces in like 3 sips. I'll vouch for that beer if anyone asks.

Got a white garlic sauce pie with sausage, sun dried tomatoes, fresh basil and artichoke hearts. That was damn good.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Knocked back Heady Topper, Focal Banger and a L'il Juicy today at Barnyard pizza in Winooski today.

Had Heady Toppers and Bangers out of the can. Heady Toppers are way over rated. Focal Banger is worth every bit of its reputation. Had a couple of sips of L'il Juicy out of the tap and wasn't too impressed. Then I killed the last 10-12 ounces in like 3 sips. I'll vouch for that beer if anyone asks.

Got a white garlic sauce pie with sausage, sun dried tomatoes, fresh basil and artichoke hearts. That was damn good.
I also prefer Focal Banger to Heady Topper, but in fairness to Heady Topper, it earned its outsize reputation when it was among a handful of OG, top-end New England IPAs and now there are literally hundreds of them.

Don’t know the pizza joint, but sounds like they have their beers and pies in order.

Awaiting the report from Al’s.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I also prefer Focal Banger to Heady Topper, but in fairness to Heady Topper, it earned its outsize reputation when it was among a handful of OG, top-end New England IPAs and now there are literally hundreds of them.

Don’t know the pizza joint, but sounds like they have their beers and pies in order.

Awaiting the report from Al’s.

Oh yeah. Al's. Legendary. Went there for early dinner last Thursday or Friday around 3-4 pm. God Bless America. Al's fry's are served by the cup, the pint and the quart. Someone had ordered a quart and it was indescribable in size. Could easily feed 8 adults.

I ordered the double cheeseburger thanks to recommendations here. The double is the about the size of a Wendy's Double Stack. Also ordered a dog plain. Guy at the register DID NOT ask if I wanted chili on it. The chili dog is a different price than the regular dog, so as I got in the queue to get my food, the guy on the grill didn't ask about chili. Decent food, glad I went. French Fries. By the quart. What a hoot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tried this as part of a flight over the weekend. I've had a few other PB beers and this is real good for what you'd expect. Took a four pack to enjoy this week.

From Otter Greek Brewing out of Middlebury.

IMG_20191216_201732213~2.jpg

Part of same company who has equity in Long Trail and Shed Brewing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Oh yeah. Al's. Legendary. Went there for early dinner last Thursday or Friday around 3-4 pm. God Bless America. Al's fry's are served by the cup, the pint and the quart. Someone had ordered a quart and it was indescribable in size. Could easily feed 8 adults.

I ordered the double cheeseburger thanks to recommendations here. The double is the about the size of a Wendy's Double Stack. Also ordered a dog plain. Guy at the register DID NOT ask if I wanted chili on it. The chili dog is a different price than the regular dog, so as I got in the queue to get my food, the guy on the grill didn't ask about chili. Decent food, glad I went. French Fries. By the quart. What a hoot.
Nice report.

I was probably unclear describing the Al’s chili thing: they only ask it when you order a chili dog, and it’s one of the guys working the grill or assembling the order who shouts “Chili on that chili dog?” It always causes you to do a double take, like, Why are they asking me this?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nice report.

I was probably unclear describing the Al’s chili thing: they only ask it when you order a chili dog, and it’s one of the guys working the grill or assembling the order who shouts “Chili on that chili dog?” It always causes you to do a double take, like, Why are they asking me this?

I kind of got that joke. I had a few locals in the line ahead of me and I was listening to what they told the cashier they wanted on their food. And then I realized the line cook and the person who threw toppings on asked everyone what they wanted. I was amused. Especially one older couple (at least in their 80's) who confidently spoke to the cashier their topping choices but really struggled when asked by the cooking crew 2 minutes later.

On a side note it looked like they may have had white vinegar in the clear ketchup/mustard squeeze bottles at each table. I'm all for some malt vinegar on fresh cut fries. Anywho I squeezed a bit of the clear liquid on to my tray and tried to get a whiff to see what it was. Couldn't get any smell or scent so I left it alone.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I kind of got that joke. I had a few locals in the line ahead of me and I was listening to what they told the cashier they wanted on their food. And then I realized the line cook and the person who threw toppings on asked everyone what they wanted. I was amused. Especially one older couple (at least in their 80's) who confidently spoke to the cashier their topping choices but really struggled when asked by the cooking crew 2 minutes later.

On a side note it looked like they may have had white vinegar in the clear ketchup/mustard squeeze bottles at each table. I'm all for some malt vinegar on fresh cut fries. Anywho I squeezed a bit of the clear liquid on to my tray and tried to get a whiff to see what it was. Couldn't get any smell or scent so I left it alone.
Yeah, that’s the joke I guess. It’s like a social experiment if you’re not familiar with it, because it’s a bit disorienting to be snapped to attention by a different person who is commanding you to confirm what you just ordered two minutes ago.

Pretty sure they have vinegar there, but probably not as good as the vinegar you’re used to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom