Bulletin Board Material | The Boneyard

Bulletin Board Material

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is taken from an article in today's New Haven Register by Jeff Jacobs:

"In an ESPN.com piece that went online the other day, McGraw said of Auriemma: “I just think he likes to have somebody to bully. It was Pat (Summitt) for a while. I don’t back down from him. And he is always right. That’s what he does. He’s part of the old boys’ network that is pretty strong. They get away with more from the officials, they can say things to the players that they would never take from a female coach.”"

Bully? Old boys' network?

Reaction Score

"In an ESPN.com piece that went online the other day, McGraw said of Auriemma: “I just think he likes to have somebody to bully. It was Pat (Summitt) for a while. I don’t back down from him. And he is always right. That’s what he does. He’s part of the old boys’ network that is pretty strong. They get away with more from the officials, they can say things to the players that they would never take from a female coach.”"

Bully? Old boys' network?
That’s from Muffet’s comments the other day when she said she would never hire another male assistant.

Reaction Score
Oh, Muffet, letsee... You forgot one thing: He's gonna lead, again, his fine team of women, to Number 12, over the next two days. How about focusing on that.
I don't know what motivation this would give anyone. It seems like a decade old issue.
To me Friday is the day those 2 teams duke it out. Let the chips fall where they may. I'll be pleased with the outcome if the REF's keep the whistle in their locker room. If that happens, ONO may rule the roost.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno and Muffet aren't playing so there's no bulletin board material.

My favorite from Jeff's column is this:

The next day, Breanna Stewart — who led UConn to four successive national titles, including three Final Four wins over the Irish — tweeted out a screenshot. McGraw had blocked her. In a ThinkProgress piece that went online over the weekend, McGraw said she had no idea how it happened and when she found out she made sure Stewart was unblocked. McGraw also said. “I don’t care if she follows me.”

Come on Muffet. What a bunch of BS. Own it. Be honest. You blocked Stewart on twitter. You know how to do it. You blocked me on twitter.

Reaction Score

FAN: her true colors on full display. BULL-etin board material for sure. Muffet's draw is enhanced considerably by ND being a magnet for Catholic athletes in all sports and by the illustrious history of ND football. She should have stayed on her tuffet rather than inciting the spider with this rant.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@UConnCat I think this is your fear realized.
Guys come on, this is not a new quote! Read the paragraph leading into the quote:
" But given McGraw's competitiveness, directness and fight for female coaches, it's no surprise that she and the button-pushing Auriemma have traded barbs over the years."

move_along_nothing_to_see_here_yard_sign_by_noberet-dbrwhsu.jpg

Reaction Score
I don't know what motivation this would give anyone. It seems like a decade old issue.
To me Friday is the day those 2 teams duke it out. Let the chips fall where they may. I'll be pleased with the outcome if the REF's keep the whistle in their locker room. If that happens, ONO may rule the roost.
Don't you think calling Geno a bully will motivate the team?

Reaction Score
Geno’s a bully? Hmmmm, consider all the extraordinary, strong, independent women who have played for him, and who come back year after year as part of the UCONN family- were they bullied? How about Rebecca Lobo, who spoke rather glowingly about Geno at her HOF enshrinement speech- bullied? I really want to respect Pat and Muffet for their coaching accomplishments, but their thin skin and, I’m convinced, insecurity, has shown them in a poor light, as petty and shrill, with a very little sense of humor. You would think Muffet, after her win last year, would just shut up, but she can’t seem to stop herself. Good grief.

Reaction Score
I'll be pleased with the outcome if the REF's keep the whistle in their locker room.

Not quite right. They need to NOT whistle UConn for every little touch foul 20 feet from the basket or for every little brush on shooters. However, they DO need to whistle ND for all of the grabbing, pushing and hip checking that goes on in the paint when our players drive and cut. The problem isn't that they blow the whistle too much. The problem is that they don't blow them fairly or for the right reasons. It is comical when a UConn player gets called for a foul for literally tickling a ND player's elbow but ND doesn't get called for grabbing or massive body contact on drivers and cutters. And, for the record, this is why our team stops driving and stops going to the line. They stop driving because fouls aren't called, not the other way around like many here claim.

wow...what a little person she is...in every game UConn played ND for the last many years, the refs ALWAYS favor ND

And ESPECIALLY in semi-final games. The refs tend to be much worse in these games and much more ND biased too. And she knows it. She is even stoking the fire that leads to the bias. She is making Geno out to be a patriarchal bully in some fictional good-ole boys network in women's basketball. She knows damn well that SOME refs are anti-male and she is poking the wounds that cause them to be anti-male. It is intellectually dishonest, manipulative and detrimental to the people who really are victims of what she CLAIMS to be a victim of.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Don't you think calling Geno a bully will motivate the team?
I'm not sure the players will even be aware of it. I know they are asked questions by the media, but I don't think they are on their twitter or IG or other accounts, so unless someone directly asks them, I'd be surprised if the coaches even shared that. Geno and the rest of the staff is fully focused on trying to win the game on Friday, not stirring the pot with something the kids have no control over.

I may be wrong, but I don't know if i see a valid reason for the coaches to make a big deal out of it with the players. Unless the coaches are trying for an "us against the world" mentality... But I have no idea. Geno is a tremendous motivator - but historically at this time of the year it's all about focusing on the next opponent and how they can maximize their strengths and play their best...

Geno has often said that during the season, it's all about pushing players, coaching, yelling and picking at, correcting, etc etc. Once the tourney's come around tho, he's a different coach - mostly all encouragement and positive reinforcement.

Reaction Score
Call it what it really is - set-the-stage ref-baiting, plain and simple.

Ms. McGraw is nothing if not a master manipulator when it comes to this - from her teams' flying backwards to draw charging, the in-game overt indignance and feigned shock of coach and players at "missed fouls," to the pre-game "subliminal" messages to this particular game's referees, this is nothing more, nothing less. Perhaps it pains her that UConn's coach has demonstrably little appetite for such subtle chicanery - good on him.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Muffet started this this crap during our string of 4 straight nattys. This type of pontificating does not speak well of Muffet. And I will leave it at that.
Well , when you get to the root of it, Notre Dame and pontificating are natural allies.

Reaction Score
Did you look to see the number of Catholic or Christian schools Geno/Chris et al got recruits from. For a few years there I thought Geno was an extension of Catholic School association (kidding). Point is, Geno has not been devoid of Catholic School kids.
Having said that: Catholic School find ND a magnet but when A kid from Christ the King or alike looks around---Geno, Christine are Catholic School products and have, usually, the best team for Women's BB great combination. I'd like to moan on why we don't get certain kids but the truth is--kids from nearly any school go where they choose to go; religion or not. The old daze of Catholics only go to Catholic schools ended about the time I graduated HS, Mid Century. Both the wife and I went to Catholic schools: My kids went to the best schools available, not one Catholic school in the bunch, to my dismay.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Holy Moly, here she goes again. MM needs to be called out. She has used this whiny crap to get her way for too long. This is a set up to get calls on Fri, just like she whined and who knows what, behind the scenes to get Shepard cleared to play immediately and then all year long saying she had no subs to get the calls in last years final four. Someone needs to have the balls to call her out in the press and ask her why she keeps whining. Gotta Love Mulkey, she has more class than MM by a long shot and shows the respect for her fellow coaches. No wonder her players resemble this classless ass. I feel sorry for Shepard, Young, Turner and Lloyd as they are nothing like her and have had to put up with an environment created by a whiny *&87*7 and the brats she has created. Gotta love it when a spiritual entity shows it true colors. Maybe the current recruits like PB should speak up and say what they think of her as its not pretty.

OK done with rant, but Lordy, enough is enough.

The ESPN profile where the quotes were first published came out last Friday before the Sweet 16. Yet it's being held up here as evidence that she is complaining to get calls in this Friday's final four game.

Wow, great foresight by Muffet on that one!

Reaction Score
Holy Moly, here she goes again. MM needs to be called out. She has used this whiny crap to get her way for too long. This is a set up to get calls on Fri, just like she whined and who knows what, behind the scenes to get Shepard cleared to play immediately and then all year long saying she had no subs to get the calls in last years final four. Someone needs to have the balls to call her out in the press and ask her why she keeps whining. Gotta Love Mulkey, she has more class than MM by a long shot and shows the respect for her fellow coaches. No wonder her players resemble this classless ass. I feel sorry for Shepard, Young, Turner and Lloyd as they are nothing like her and have had to put up with an environment created by a whiny *&87*7 and the brats she has created. Gotta love it when a spiritual entity shows it true colors. Maybe the current recruits like PB should speak up and say what they think of her as its not pretty.

OK done with rant, but Lordy, enough is enough.
I don't get out much so I'm lacking in up to the minute happenings. But I feel like I've been teleported back 8 or 10 years.
I must be missing something! I don't dislike ND or Muffet. Oh yea, I want UConn to beat the daylights out of ND that's true. At one time I held grudges, no more, for what? At some point we'll all love each other and we wasted all that great hate on friends. When I hate --I want to hate until damnation, that's the only fun. Can't find anyone to do that to anymore--old toejo(sp) Hitler and Stalin are gone and took my fun with them.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I feel sorry for Shepard, Young, Turner and Lloyd as they are nothing like her and have had to put up with an environment created by a whiny *&87*7 and the brats she has created.

Yes, pity poor Jess Shepard. She seems like she really hates the "environment" at Notre Dame.

As for Turner,if she wanted to get away from ND, she could have easily gone pro or grad-transferred instead of coming back for a fifth year. I feel like some teams may have been willing to take on a 2x All-American, 2x ACC DPOY as a grad transfer.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
LMAO just watched Genos Presser and he burned MM, well done. Thats an advocate for sports, including women sports. Lets be done with whining, NOTa good look. And BTWs so did Kim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom