Buffalo post game thread (merged thread) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Buffalo post game thread (merged thread)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Maybe UCONN learned a lesson. Buffalo showed them what real intensity is and how to keep it for the entire game!

I agree, the only problem with playing with that kind of intensity is YOU MUST have a bench that can/will support that kind of play. UConn does not have that. If Geno had employed that kind of intensity for 40 minutes, the starters would have been spent by the middle of the 3rd quarter.

Did you notice how freely Leggett-Jet subbed her players in an out to keep them fresh, and protect them from early foul trouble? She used 5 reserve players from her bench. Geno used one. We can only suppose/assume he didn't trust anyone else off the bench under those circumstances. The games get tougher from here, and the quality of the opponents increase. Don't expect to see any of the reserves (except ONO and maybe Coombs) except in garbage time from here on. [Box score]

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It would have been cool if the Buffalo players stayed after the game and showed UConn how to shoot free throws. That would have been great and much appreciated. In comparison with UCLA, they shot 20-21 against Maryland. Seriously, this could be the difference in the game Friday.

I agree with your initial observation, but I'll take a pass on the latter. Let's hope UConn doesn't foul enough to put the Bruins on the line that many times for their made free throws to possibly make a difference in the outcome.

Note - UCLA may be tired from racking up all of those "frequent flyer" miles. They traveled across the country to Maryland for the first 2 rounds of play, now they must travel across the country again for the next round of play. Would it be wrong to wish an acute case of "jet-lag" for them this weekend? :confused:

They're my hometown team, but my loyalties and support for them stop here. I'd enjoy a 40 point MOV by UConn Friday. :p Anyone care to join me?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Normally I would agree with that approach, but....have you forgotten that all of the starters except Christyn had 4 fouls? If he were to employ the tactics you suggest, and one of them gets a charging call, he loses a starter. To go a step further, whoever Dillard was guarding should have driven on her every time after she returned to the floor with her sprained ankle. Her ability to move (run) was restricted. Hell I could have went by her. :D It's easy to coach the team from the comfort of our arm chairs. We don't get second guessed. :rolleyes:
We do get second guessed on the BY. Just read some responses.

Reaction Score
Man, I sure hope you're right. But I really worry about this team's ability to play wonderfully for a while (the first quarter was amazing) and then to disappear as the game wears on. This goes way beyond not having a killer instinct. This goes to totally losing focus, not being able to shoot, missing layups,passes to no one, defensive lapses (and not just by ONO). Buffalo is a good but not great team and was playing on adrenaline for a while. But UConn should have been able to handle this team.

And while I'm thinking about it..... Remember how we used to be able to almost count on a late second quarter/early third quarter run that absolutely crushed the opposition?This is probably painfully obvious to the many of you who know the sport better than I, but this is not a team that, IMHO, can do that, and it really hurts them. It also is a team that, for all the good players who we love, is not very complex. I don't generally see the "Look for the extra pass" play all that much. It is much more of a three-point-shot or in to Napheesa kind of team. Once in a while Crystal shows off an amazing pass, but they just aren't able to do the stuff earlier teams coulddo.

Be patient, the best is left for the next two weeks.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
2x2hsg.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member