BU @ UConn - Tues 10/27/2015 - 7pm | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BU @ UConn - Tues 10/27/2015 - 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Big win this evening. With a sweep or a win and a tie vs Norte Dame this weekend , I would think we crack the top 15- 20 in national polls. The hockey team has given us something else to help us through the winter. Great job beating a BU team ranked 7 or 8 in country depending on which poll you look at.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This wasn't a fluke win. UConn outworked BU for big stretches. Yeah, BU had an advantage in shots on goal, but UConn hit at least 3 pipes that I heard and those don't get tallied.

Reaction Score
Rumor: Somone told me peeps from the New Jersey Devils were at the game. AHL or NHL?

No surprise that w/ the talent on the ice for both sides there were more than a few scouts there.

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-uconn-hockey-bu-xl-center-1028-20151027-story.html

ASU - 4,404
BU - 5,225

4,815 avg as of 10/27/15

Rumor: Somone told me peeps from the New Jersey Devils were at the game.
AHL or NHL?
There are scouts at every Hockey East game. Especially tonight with all the talent on the ice. Tage Thompson will be getting drafted in the upcoming NHL draft and, hopefully, Joseph Masonius.

The kid Greenway on BU is going to be an absolute beast in the NHL. He's huge and only a freshman.

Reaction Score
UConn's team speed has gotten so much faster compared with just two years ago, even last year. I would say that is the biggest difference between last year and this year. This team flies.

I thought freshmen Marco Richter and Max Kalter both had very good games tonight. Kalter is so similar to Ronan. He was a great late pickup last offseason.

Miles Gendron can absolutely fly for a defenseman. He made the switch from forward a couple seasons ago and it shows. He had a great rush up the ice tonight carrying the puck all the way into BU's zone.

The one negative tonight was the play in the third period before BU started a parade to the box. It seemed they were content to just sit back and let BU dominate possession again. It is a dangerous game to play against good teams. That style of play will burn you more often than not.

Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-uconn-hockey-bu-xl-center-1028-20151027-story.html

ASU - 4,404
BU - 5,225

4,815 avg as of 10/27/15

Rumor: Somone told me peeps from the New Jersey Devils were at the game.
AHL or NHL?
Devils people would be player scouts, fairly common for college games.

You all are in fantasy land if you thought there were 5,225 people there. The lower bowl holds ~5,500. It was not even close to full, barely was 2/3 full. I don't doubt UConn may be under some pressure to upsell their attendance numbers to appear like they're doing well there, but that number is a complete and total farce, much like the BU effort tonight.

Attachments

• xl1.jpg
    xl1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 76
Reaction Score
The one negative tonight was the play in the third period before BU started a parade to the box. It seemed they were content to just sit back and let BU dominate possession again. It is a dangerous game to play against good teams. That style of play will burn you more often than not.
This is true, BU couldn't finish a loose puck to save our lives tonight, and that's been a problem so far this season. There were a lot of juicy opportunities that went uncashed in. That said, UConn was very opportunistic and jumped on the doors that were open, that'll win a good number of games.

Reaction Score
@brasssbonanzaa filled in a bit after the anthem, but I agree.
Here's the third period. I'll say this, a better crowd than most schools could expect on a Tuesday - perhaps because UConn fans are used to Tuesday evening sporting events, but to say there were 5,225 there is laughable. Put that same crowd in a 6K arena with some extra students packed in and that'd make for a hell of a Tuesday crowd.

Attachments

• xl2.jpg
    xl2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 84

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
brasssbonanzaa said:
Here's the third period. I'll say this, a better crowd than most schools could expect on a Tuesday - perhaps because UConn fans are used to Tuesday evening sporting events, but to say there were 5,225 there is laughable. Put that same crowd in a 6K arena with some extra students packed in and that'd make for a hell of a Tuesday crowd.

BUT WHO WILL SAVE HARTFORD

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There were more fannies in seats last night then there were for most Gampel hoop games last year.

Reaction Score
TheUConnBlog ‏@TheUConnBlog · 4m4 minutes ago
Those of you who missed our Periscope of the press conference missed Cavanaugh making sure Warde Manuel knew abt his record vs. ranked teams

I couldn't finf it, do you have a link?

Reaction Score

You all are in fantasy land if you thought there were 5,225 people there. The lower bowl holds ~5,500. It was not even close to full, barely was 2/3 full. I don't doubt UConn may be under some pressure to upsell their attendance numbers to appear like they're doing well there, but that number is a complete and total farce, much like the BU effort tonight.

How do you or I know 100% that they were just scouts? Why was dannel there? Was it just political grandstanding in which he was booed or Was it to show to off the XL to the AHL Devils or people in the organization about moving the club here? They are currently in a 1 year lease and the rangers suck. I don't want the AHL. So, Yes, probably just scouts, but I'm just speculating and filed it under "rumor:"

Crowd: There were people in the upper bowl corners including a bunch of BU fans. Were you one of them brasssbonanzaa? You shouldn't have a screen name like that if you're a BU/umass fan especially that seems to hate Hartford and the XL

Go find your own board if you want to continue to bash UConn's attendance and where UConn plays. I'm not in fantasy land

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/statistics/1516/oaattend.php

UConn 2x games fri and tues: 9,629
BU 2x Saturday games: 9,714 (+85). Those 85 were UConn fans

Last edited:
Reaction Score

brass - Where did you get that lower bowl capacity number? If the entire building holds close to 15K for hockey ... how does the lower bowl only hold roughly 1/3? I thought the lower bowl held around 7,500 ... not 100% sure.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Plus, I think there were more than a few no shows. The empty seats were sporadic, mixed in with full seats. There were no gaping areas of empty seats.

Reaction Score
Tickets sold versus scanned butts in seats... not sure what methodology is.

Reaction Score
How do you or I know 100% that they were just scouts? Why was dannel there? Was it just political grandstanding in which he was booed or Was it to show to off the XL to the AHL Devils or people in the organization about moving the club here? They are currently in a 1 year lease and the rangers suck. I don't want the AHL. So, Yes, probably just scouts, but I'm just speculating and filed it under "rumor:"

Keep the dream alive...

Dannel was there for the same reason Blumenthal is everywhere. At least in this case Malloy is a professed hockey fan.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Team has more speed and confidence this year - that much is clearly evident. Instead of making a quick panicked pass or dump (like some of last year), we have plenty of guys who will take guys on 1-on-1 this year.

Letunov is fun to watch. He has outstanding vision for a FR. He and Thompson are both two big forwards and I hope they stay together for the season. We have the potential of having one of the top scoring lines in NCAA if they do.

I love Coach Cav's quote (paraphrasing): "we don't want to be a team that beats Top 10 teams....we want to be a top 10 team." I think Coach Cav is absolutely building this program towards that in the near future.

Reaction Score
In eight games against top-10 teams in coach Mike Cavanaugh's three seasons, UConn has four victories, three losses and one tie.

"I don't want to be known for teams that knock off a top-10 team," Cavanaugh said. "I want to be a top-10 team. I don't want that to be conversation any more: 'Hey, we beat a top-10 team.' I want UConn hockey to be a top-10 team and there's no reason we can't be that if we put in the work. So I'm hoping that talk will go away soon. Don't get me wrong; I like being 4-3-1."

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
In eight games against top-10 teams in coach Mike Cavanaugh's three seasons, UConn has four victories, three losses and one tie.

"I don't want to be known for teams that knock off a top-10 team," Cavanaugh said. "I want to be a top-10 team. I don't want that to be conversation any more: 'Hey, we beat a top-10 team.' I want UConn hockey to be a top-10 team and there's no reason we can't be that if we put in the work. So I'm hoping that talk will go away soon. Don't get me wrong; I like being 4-3-1."

It took you a whole minute to find the quote that I referenced?!?! You're slipping, Jo! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom