BTN with another mention of UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BTN with another mention of UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You have to think ESPN would rather the ACC add Uconn alone and pay a little more to the ACC then re-negotiate with the American in a couple years with Uconn as a member. How long was the ESPN contract Aresco signed last year?
Based on the last negotiation I wonder. ESPN holds extraordinary power both visible and in the margins.

Reaction Score
You have to think ESPN would rather the ACC add Uconn alone and pay a little more to the ACC then re-negotiate with the American in a couple years with Uconn as a member. How long was the ESPN contract Aresco signed last year?
Six years.
You are correct it's a lot cheaper to give one team 16-20mm than 12 teams half that amount. What would you do.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Likeable does win games. Recruiting is half the battle, maybe more, and a great recruiter is liked by the parents, the recruits high school coaches, and the recruit. Why do you think FHCRE couldn't recruit himself out of a paper bag? No one liked him, and he managed to piss off just about every high school coach in the state of Connecticut. OK Sgt Hulka?

How do you explain all the NFL players if he couldn't recruit?

Reaction Score
For the big 10 folks and others reading, that might be wondering legitimately why UCONN is not in another conference, the reason is basically very simple. Loyalty to the Big East conference to the point of our own fault. UCONN leadership was loyal to the big east, rather than for many years, trying to get out of it, or abuse it for their own need like many other programs that have come and gone.

We'll overcome it. We've got no choice right now but to be loyal to the American Athletic Conference - and we'll see how high we can elevate this conference working with the other programs as long as we're in it. Connecticut Yankees are an incredibly loyal, inventive and hard working culture historically.
Every single BE football school(Rutgers included) was quietly lobbying to get out as we were getting in. Virgin fools in big boy football. Duped by our conference mates and our own ignorance. Our leadership, unsophisticated. Wonder if Lew knew. He spent considerable energy getting UConn D1 football and left just before we joined a BCS conference. Didn't really stay to see his baby being born. Rell, gone. Hogue, gone. Hathaway, gone. Eyes open. Forward and up.

Reaction Score
Delaney botched B1G expansion. It's not too late to fix it though.
They only botched it if they stop now.

Maryland and Rutgers makes a lot of sense on a lot of levels. Subscribers is the way to go, and I guarantee more New Jersey residents will watch and attend games Rutgers games when Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Michigan State, etc. etc. come to town. And then essentially have a toe in New York, and a toe in DC.

Taking UConn makes a splash in New York and would get a toe into Boston. It would also bring a lot of athletic success.

The partner, before, that made the most sense was Virginia. That isn't likely going to happen. That would have finished off DC.

@upstater keeps suggesting Kansas. I think that's the logical partner...but they have two problems. Can they politically get away from Kansas State? How to deal with the GOR?

If they do away with two equal divisions, etc. to determine a champion, that only helps. You can schedule with 15 if you can schedule with 11.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
For a guy nobody liked he sure won a lot of games and sent a lot of guys to the NFL.

True.

But what about perception?

Do people know we have a winning record in the BE against the RU/Pitt/SU group?

That our record with UofL was tied until they won our last game together?

That South Fl were our blthches when they came north?

No. The perception was the UCONN sucked.

Diaco will get more publicity out of this first bowl game than Edsall got all time.

And like it or not, that plays HUGE into getting into a new conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
True.

But what about perception?

Do people know we have a winning record in the BE against the RU/Pitt/SU group?

That our record with UofL was tied until they won our last game together?

That South Fl were our blthches when they came north?

No. The perception was the UCONN sucked.

Diaco will get more publicity out of this first bowl game than Edsall got all time.

And like it or not, that plays HUGE into getting into a new conference.

Well he could have done a better job selling the program.

I am hopeful that Diaco does both.

But this idea that Edsall couldn't recuit and wasn't a good coach is a ridiculous notion easily refuted by objective evidence.

I really can't see any connection between Edsall and UConn being stuck in the AAC. I guess he could have been more dominant in his two championships and he could have won the Fiesta Bowl...

Reaction Score
Delaney botched B1G expansion. It's not too late to fix it though.

What's interesting is that all this media attention is about Rutgers vs UConn. I doubt that the Big Ten finds a pot of gold in College Park, MD either. That athletics department is shrinking. Rutgers might end up the more successful of the two. I didn't see Mark Turgeon cutting down nets like UConn did. Maryland's women's team does well as do many other Maryland women's programs, however. Maryland has this accomplishment vs Rutgers. But their athletics deparment has been in trouble for a long time.

Reaction Score
How do you explain all the NFL players if he couldn't recruit?
They were not highly recruited players in the first place, Edsall's talent was not in recruiting it was in developing talent, and he did that well (maybe because he had to), but to win in big time college football you need to RECRUIT talent as well as develop lesser talented players. Look at Calhoun, he got his 1st 5 star bball recruit 7 years before he won his first NC. I mean Edsall's never recruited a 5 star recruit, and how many 4 stars, and even 3 stars for that matter? In all his years at UCONN I can count on one hand the top recruits he signed (4 or 5 star). And that inability has followed him to Maryland, though he does get slightly better players on average because of Maryland's conference. Does that answer your stupid question wise @ss? Why are you defending a guy who ducked out the back door without even saying goodbye to his players. They had to hear the news on ESPN.

Last edited:

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Well he could have done a better job selling the program.

I am hopeful that Diaco does both.

But this idea that Edsall couldn't recuit and wasn't a good coach is a ridiculous notion easily refuted by objective evidence.

I really can't see any connection between Edsall and UConn being stuck in the AAC. I guess he could have been more dominant in his two championships and he could have won the Fiesta Bowl...

I think the "selling aspect" of CR is under rated.

Perception is reality.

Ask the average B1G or ACC fan what they think UCONN's record was against RU or UofL or Pitt or SU.

They wouldn't even be close.

Schiano got more mileage out of a win on a thursday night that Edsall got out of two BE championships.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Perception is reality.

Ask the average B1G or ACC fan what they think UCONN's record was against RU or UofL or Pitt or SU.

Schiano got more mileage out of a win on a thursday night that Edsall got out of two BE championships.

Ok so which coach sold his team into a new conference. I'll hang up and wait for your answer.

Since Maryland was invited to the Big 10 while Edsall was the coach this is going to have to be one hell of an answer.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They were not highly recruited players in the first place, Edsall's talent was not in recruiting it was in developing talent, and he did that well (maybe because he had to), but to win in big time college football you need to RECRUIT talent as well as develop lesser talented players. Look at Calhoun, he got his 1st 5 star bball recruit 7 years before he won his first NC. I mean Edsall's never recruited a 5 star recruit, and how many 4 stars, and even 3 stars for that matter? In all his years at UCONN I can count on one hand the top recruits he signed (4 or 5 star). And that inability has followed him to Maryland, though he does get slightly better players on average because of Maryland's conference. Does that answer your stupid question wise @ss? Why are you defending a guy who ducked out the back door without even saying goodbye to his players. They had to hear the news on ESPN.

No offense but this incoherent rambling is idiotic.

You are just upset about how he left and you can't see past that.

I'm not defending how he left. I'm just pointing out if you have four straight good seasons at a school that never had that accomplishment you did a good job. When the guy who was supposed to be good at recruiting goes 13-23 and embarrasses himself
most weeks... well that's just more evidence the last guy could coach.

I'll make it clear:

Randy Edsall did a very good job at UConn.

What Randy Edsall does anywhere else does not reflect on what he did at UConn.

Randy Edsall may be a bit of an a**hole. That doesn't change what happened on the field.

Reaction Score
No offense but this incoherent rambling is idiotic.

You are just upset about how he left and you can't see past that.

I'm not defending how he left. I'm just pointing out if you have four straight good seasons at a school that never had that accomplishment you did a good job. When the guy who was supposed to be good at recruiting goes 13-23 and embarrasses himself
most weeks... well that's just more evidence the last guy could coach.

I'll make it clear:

Randy Edsall did a very good job at UConn.

What Randy Edsall does anywhere else does not reflect on what he did at UConn.

Randy Edsall may be a bit of an a**hole. That doesn't change what happened on the field.
Give up jerk. The guy cannot recruit, never had the personality for it. He pisses everybody off, coaches, players, you name it. Thirty something players transfered out of Maryland after his first year there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Give up jerk. The guy cannot recruit, never had the personality for it. He pisses everybody off, coaches, players, you name it. Thirty something players transfered out of Maryland after his first year there.

LOL did he bang your wife or something?

It's amazing that people would rather win on recruiting sites than the field or the NFL draft.

Here is something you might consider. Maybe he was recruting good players and the sites didn't know it.

Reaction Score

Perception is reality.

UCONN has a losing record against Rutgers, both all-time (RU leads series 22-11) as well as since UCONN began play in the Big East as a conference member (RU leads 6-4).

That's what the average Big Ten and ACC fans think, and they are correct in their thinking.

I don't know about your records against SU, PITT, Louisville but the talk that UCONN has a better record against Rutgers is just false.

Reaction Score
UCONN has a losing record against Rutgers, both all-time (RU leads series 22-11) as well as since UCONN began play in the Big East as a conference member (RU leads 6-4).

That's what the average Big Ten and ACC fans think, and they are correct in their thinking.

I don't know about your records against SU, PITT, Louisville but the talk that UCONN has a better record against Rutgers is just false.
You still lost 5 games to us while we were FCS and you were FBS. Your athletic department sucks. It's ok. We all accept you, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Whenever someone says something bad about Saint Randy, an alert message pops up on WhalerLawyer's flip phone and he springs into action.

Reaction Score

That's correct, but would you rather that we point out Rutgers's loss to an independent UConn in 2003, or a transition I-A UConn (with about 65 scholarships) in 1999?

Or maybe you can just concede that the modern record is 6-6 and we can just move on from there.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I couldn't stand Edsall when he was here, but after three years without him, I would club a puppy if it erased the past three years.

UConn is 6-6 against Rutgers in the past two decades, including two out of the last three.

Stop pretending you're anything other than marginal in football, kiddies. No one's buying it.

Reaction Score
To be quite fair, UCONN has done well for themselves withing the past 14 years or so. And your AD is very efficient, we can all we that with MWB;. But here's the thing, can you gain, sustain, and enhance your success on the Fb field? That is the most important thing to someone like Delaney. Methinks your facilities would rival mosttop schools in the BT, but the general worry is that how do you know you won't become another Indiana? Great at BB terrible at FB.UCONN has to be very good at FB. I think the problem is thaf most aren't convinced. No one disputes your BB prowess. You guys are to BB what Miami was to FB. Its not necessarily a given...nor is it for us. There are other sports the BT are passionate about ...wrestling, which we have, and hockey, which you have. But I think that wrestling is number 3 in the conference as we speak.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Need the status quo to end more than anything. As for swapping out, the biggest head scratcher was the ACC wanting Syracuse. You can make a case for Pitt, BC, RU, even UL as programs and markets of value.

I know the dome, 44, melo, and Boeheim. But an overpriced private school 5, count'em 5, hours ride from NYC in frozen bumblefukc is a real headscratcher as a futures play. It's almost as if they don't teach analytic thinking in the south.
ding ding ding...here's the winner..someone who "get's it"!! Great post. BB season's over, see ya next March SU !!

Reaction Score
If ACC took UConn, B12 would have taken UL and Cincy and everyone would be happy.

I know this would never happen but if the B1G somehow agreed to take in Cincy you would have 4 perfect pods:

East - UConn, RU, Maryland, PSU
North - Michigan, Michigan State, OSU, Cincy
Central - Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois
West - Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska

Reaction Score
Do the RU fans really think they were invited to the B1G because of what happened on the football field?

Wow.
Where'd you get that idea Einstein? Or just venting? Lighten up RU fan's aren't you're concern or mine. Why blame them? Don't waste you're ammo shooting at the moon and think before you post crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom