BTN President talks realignment.... | The Boneyard

BTN President talks realignment....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Excerpt...full article linked:

Silverman says he believes realignment is on pause for a while but doesn't discount the notion.

"The success, or lack of success, of conference networks, depending how you look at things, may lead to future expansion," Silverman said. "It may. I think we're in this period now where there is so much activity relating to the NCAA and the college football playoff where that it almost feels like things need to kind of get through this next period of change, and then we'll see. Or maybe it does happen in the midst of this. ... The others that have networks, the Pac-12 and the SEC, do they want to add schools to help grow their networks? We'll see. I don't know. At this point, you're not really surprised one way or the other."

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/wri...is-always-ready-for-future-expansion?v=1&vc=4

Reaction Score
Swarbrick at Notre Dame also can imagine further changes down the road...but maybe not in the immediate future...

"Here’s his take on where conference realignment currently sits. With TV contracts and the playoff set for the next decade, things seem fairly stable. But that doesn’t mean Notre Dame’s going to remain independent at all costs.

“Fortunately, I think that world has settled down. I think we went through a period where there was sort of wholesale movements. I think we’re probably going to go through about a decade here… I think that’s going to produce a real period of stability. Our goal is to maintain independence. But you never say never. It’s not that we prefer to ever pursue an alternative, but you could imagine further changes down the road, as people project further consolidation of conferences. I don’t think that’s going to happen, at least not during my professional career, but that’s the only way we’d do it.

“It has nothing to do with football. We’d have a lot easier route to the national championship through a conference and becoming a conference champion, but that just doesn’t do for the university what we’re committed to do for it. So right now, that’s the balance we strike and it works well for us.”

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2014/07/31/for-swarbrick-independence-helps-tell-the-notre-dame-story/

Reaction Score
I read this as the ACC (Swofford) should get off their butt and lock up NYC before it is to late

Reaction Score
"TV contracts and the playoff set for the next decade..." The war chest of exit fees that UConn, Cinci, & USF receive will run out after about 6 years & then the leaks in the life raft become a financial deluge. I hope that CR restarts faster than 10 years from now & that UConn is thrown one of the few remaining life preservers.

Reaction Score
"Or maybe it does happen in the midst of this." I still believe future moves toward 16 Teams could happen before or around the signing of The B1G's next deal.

Reaction Score
I read this as the ACC (Swofford) should get off their butt and lock up NYC before it is to late

I agree. With all signs pointing to UCONN to the B1G at some point one would think that the ACC would be wise to offer us now even if it meant going to 15 schools. BC and Cuse should want us in their league because the alternative of having us in the B1G is much more damaging to them.

Reaction Score
Not that I completely understand networks....but it seems that conferences are interested in planting flags in new states for carriage fees in footprint rather in a current footprint state (and NY may be considered current footprint).

If the ACC is still working with ESPN...and the BTN article seems to hint that it is so....

"Deepening the conference network intrigue is the ACC, which is eyeing its own 24-hour network starting in 2017.

ESPN has to reciprocate that eagerness, but a source with direct knowledge of the process said talks between the sides have been encouraging.

No doubt the SEC's early distribution returns would help the ACC immensely."

Then....does the ACC just try to plant a flag in a new state...pick up a Houston, etc?

Reaction Score
While not committing to any one particular prediction, Silverman summed up the CR dynamics well, especially as it relates to conference networks. CR could happen, or not happen, based upon how events unfold in the coming months. Having conference networks drive CR is likely a positive for UConn.

Reaction Score
Swarbrick's comments are a little bit more self serving. ND has carved out their safe landing spot and don't want to have to reengineer a new solution anytime soon. I really doubt there will a decade of stability as he suggests.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
"TV contracts and the playoff set for the next decade..." The war chest of exit fees that UConn, Cinci, & USF receive will run out after about 6 years & then the leaks in the life raft become a financial deluge. I hope that CR restarts faster than 10 years from now & that UConn is thrown one of the few remaining life preservers.
Our conference TV contract runs out in 2020. So if we are still around, we'll be negotiating a new deal 5 years from now. The difference this time is that we will actually be able to negotiate.

Reaction Score
I agree. With all signs pointing to UCONN to the B1G at some point one would think that the ACC would be wise to offer us now even if it meant going to 15 schools. BC and Cuse should want us in their league because the alternative of having us in the B1G is much more damaging to them.
The ACC would be wise to invite UConn, but who would consider Swofford a wise man? As forBC and Cuse, they've always been shortsighted and more interested in protecting their little piece of turf.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
The ACC would be wise to invite UConn, but who would consider Swofford a wise man? As forBC and Cuse, they've always been shortsighted and more interested in protecting their little piece of turf.

Here's the issue with that - Will ESPN pay the extra $20 million a year (or if The GT release wasn't spin, $24 million) to add another school? It seems to me that The ACC contract is maxed money wise (ESPN won't give them more to add). The ACC has nothing left to give. If they won't pay, each ACC school would be losing money adding another school. If ESPN will then The ACC is quite dumb not adding them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would say that there is next to no chance that the ACC expands during this television contract.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This recent chatter reeks of a brush off to those left out ahead of the governance vote. "Don't worry, trust us. Just a few more minutes then you guys will see that everyone benefits from us hoarding all the money and media coverage."

What the G5 is about to find out is that those seven figure guarantee games that pay the bills are about to go bye bye. For the A and the MWC, you'll never get a BSU like shot a top four team, ever again.

Reaction Score
Here's the issue with that - Will ESPN pay the extra $20 million a year (or if The GT release wasn't spin, $24 million) to add another school? It seems to me that The ACC contract is maxed money wise (ESPN won't give them more to add). The ACC has nothing left to give. If they won't pay, each ACC school would be losing money adding another school. If ESPN will then The ACC is quite dumb not adding them.
I'll agree with you that the ACC contract is probably maxed out but that is not long term thinking. They may wish to add UConn by the time the next contract comes along and UConn won't be available. In the long run whatever conference invites UConn will benefit greatly by the addition.

Reaction Score
I'll agree with you that the ACC contract is probably maxed out but that is not long term thinking. They may wish to add UConn by the time the next contract comes along and UConn won't be available. In the long run whatever conference invites UConn will benefit greatly by the addition.
Anyone who can't see that UConn is a great investment is not much of a businessman IMO...PP effed up perception at a critical time and myself as an NJU fan at the time I heard said to myself...ut oh.."this aint good" in my streety Jersey mind at a critical time with everyone positioning themselves in CR for OBE evacuation !! The last thing we needed was an SU retread but the HS coaches pushed for him as a local guy returning saviour and of course he took his old baggage here with him(GDL) !?! EXACT reason he got canned at SU...stubborness and I like the guys loyalty to his childhood friend but at what price?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Not that I think this is completely accurate, but, by adding a team with no increase from ESPN, the ACC teams stand to lose $1.5 million a year till 2027. Not sure if teams want to do that.

Reaction Score
Not that I think this is completely accurate, but, by adding a team with no increase from ESPN, the ACC teams stand to lose $1.5 million a year till 2027. Not sure if teams want to do that.

ESPN's payout to the ACC would not be the reason why UConn is not going to be added there. UConn is more valuable than the vast majority of ACC teams in terms of TV dollars. UConn's bad position has everything to do with Notre Dame's half-assed status. The ACC is not adding anyone until it figures out what Notre Dame is all about.

Reaction Score
ESPN's payout to the ACC would not be the reason why UConn is not going to be added there. UConn is more valuable than the vast majority of ACC teams in terms of TV dollars. UConn's bad position has everything to do with Notre Dame's half-assed status. The ACC is not adding anyone until it figures out what Notre Dame is all about.

Or until the conference championship rules change and allows Champs to be decided without divisions. Allows the ACC to go to 15. That and ESPN support ($) would make adding UConn possible. As a Cuse fan I'd support your addition. That and $2.50 will buy you a cup of coffee for what it's worth.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Or until the conference championship rules change and allows Champs to be decided without divisions. Allows the ACC to go to 15. That and ESPN support ($) would make adding UConn possible. As a Cuse fan I'd support your addition. That and $2.50 will buy you a cup of coffee for what it's worth.

I think this is one of the more overlooked factors in CR: the deregulation of equal divisions required to have a CG. If a conference can have uneven divisions/pods and still have a championship game, then UCONN can be added right now by the B1G or ACC. UCONN wouldn't need an expansion partner and with no GOR, would be the easiest addition by either conference. If you're the B1G, you get UCONN now and wait out other conference GORs. If you're the ACC, you get UCONN now and wait out Notre Dame. Makes sense.

Reaction Score
but who would consider Swofford a wise man?
  • He helped engineer the demise of the BE
  • He kept Fla St and Clem in the fold
  • He nudged the bg10 into taking more teams
  • He has guided the ACC into being a P5

Reaction Score
He preyed on a weaker conference with an incompetent commisioner. At best that makes him an evil genius. I use the word genius lightly.

pj

Reaction Score

Wait - Nudging the Big 10 into taking Maryland from his conference was proof he's a wise man? Wasn't the ACC a top 5 conference before Swofford arrived?

Reaction Score

ND has no interest and no reason to join the ACC for football. There is nothing on the horizon to change that. The only thing, the absolute only thing that would change that is if the playoffs suddenly became conference champs only. I don't see that happening any time soon, do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom