BTN President talks realignment.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BTN President talks realignment....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Terry....I think that we will see the Irish as an Independent through their 60 game contract with the ACC...

In a decade or so, there may be another period of movement....if there ever is to be a trending to the 16 team conference.

Reaction Score
Terry....I think that we will see the Irish as an Independent through their 60 game contract with the ACC...

In a decade or so, there may be another period of movement....if there ever is to be a trending to the 16 team conference.

I just don't see a 4x16 ever happening. What happened when we appeared to be on a bullet train headed to four leagues?

The Big 12 got a big contract to head it off. The Big 12 and ACC grant of rights occurred. ESPN gave the ACC more money. ND joined as a partial member, which added a bit more money. The networks made sure that there would be 5 major conferences.

The B1G and SEC are too financially strong to be at risk, the Pac 12 too isolated to be at risk.

Where will four new schools come from to form the Pac 16? I don't see that ever happening.

ESPN guaranteed that the ACC and Big 12 would not be too damaged by the actions of those other three to reduce power football to four or even three leagues.

Reaction Score
I could see a five X 16....80 team league.

Gives room for growth...teams like UConn, Cincinnati, ECU, UCF, Houston, Boise State, USF, Fresno State, San Diego State, etc, etc as some of these programs grow their programs.

Reaction Score
I could see a five X 16....80 team league.

Gives room for growth...teams like UConn, Cincinnati, ECU, UCF, Houston, Boise State, USF, Fresno State, San Diego State, etc, etc as some of these programs grow their programs.

Perhaps. That may be more likely than 4x16. To me, there are too many fiefdoms, egos, regional concerns/conflicts and moving pieces (ND, Texas, North Carolina, NBC, CBS, ESPN, Fox, the Big 12, ACC, etc...) for 4x16 to happen.

Reaction Score
Here's the issue with that - Will ESPN pay the extra $20 million a year (or if The GT release wasn't spin, $24 million) to add another school? It seems to me that The ACC contract is maxed money wise (ESPN won't give them more to add). The ACC has nothing left to give. If they won't pay, each ACC school would be losing money adding another school. If ESPN will then The ACC is quite dumb not adding them.

Assuming this is true that the ACC is being overpaid and there are no additions the conference can make to increase the per team payout, is UCONN's best hope (along with championship game deregulation) that the ACC wins, increases their worth and needs to add a school to reopen their contract with ESPN? Should UCONN be rooting for the ACC to succeed?

Reaction Score
The ACC contract has "look ins" every five years...and provisions for valuing the addition of members.

ESPN is consulted, by most conferences, about their thoughts on the "added value" of specific programs to the conference....As an example, the Big 12 Commissioner publicly stated that the only programs that would add additional value to the Big 12 were not available.

Reaction Score
The rise of conference networks could lessen the necessity of having a conference addition add value in the primary media contract...if that program would add carriage fees.

Reaction Score
The challenge for UConn joining the ACC is that they don't have a conference network and it's unlikely they will have one anytime soon (at the very least until the Raycom rights expire). Any school being added to the Big 12 faces similar challenges. The only conference that's in a position to benefit from adding a new region with UConn in it would be the Big Ten.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would say that in order for the ACC to even think about starting their own network, they would need to add UCONN ASAP. When you're adding schools because of money/TV networks, then you have to add based on markets. UCONN has presence in NYC, Boston and our own entire state of CT. Syracuse has significant presence in NYC, but I'd say that, right now, the NYC market is going to be dominated by the B1G. The combination of Rutgers and every other huge B1G alumni base in NYC (Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, etc) overshadow what the ACC offers (Syracuse, Notre Dame alumni, and a little bit of Duke). UCONN would help equal the NYC playing field for the ACC, no question about that. But if the ACC really wanted its own network, they wouldn't have invited Louisville over UCONN so I seriously doubt that they are close to their own network.

Reaction Score
ND has no interest and no reason to join the ACC for football. There is nothing on the horizon to change that. The only thing, the absolute only thing that would change that is if the playoffs suddenly became conference champs only. I don't see that happening any time soon, do you?

If you don't think the ACC entered into that agreement with the future expectation that ND will join the ACC, then you we might as well stop having this discussion.

Reaction Score
The challenge for UConn joining the ACC is that they don't have a conference network and it's unlikely they will have one anytime soon (at the very least until the Raycom rights expire). Any school being added to the Big 12 faces similar challenges. The only conference that's in a position to benefit from adding a new region with UConn in it would be the Big Ten.
Or the SEC. Kentucky and Florida need help on the basketball side. LOL.

Reaction Score
Or the SEC. Kentucky and Florida need help on the basketball side. LOL.

True. Although, if the SEC is going to shift an ESPN-controlled property they will likely try to pry a VA or NC school first, which could propel UConn into the ACC. . .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
  • He helped engineer the demise of the BE
  • He kept Fla St and Clem in the fold
  • He nudged the bg10 into taking more teams
  • He has guided the ACC into being a P5
The BE demised not by Swoffys "genius" but suicide(self-destruction and possibly treachery)....FSU/Clem stayed because there wasnt anywhere to go(2 B1G schools said no to FSU) ....the B1G was taking NJU and whoever for at least 13 yrs just turned out to be MD while Swoffy slept and lost the greatest real estate swath in the nation seemingly in 1 night...and wasnt the ACC always in the P5 deserved or not? Hows that "genius"? He seemed to just take the ride!!

Reaction Score
If you don't think the ACC entered into that agreement with the future expectation that ND will join the ACC, then you we might as well stop having this discussion.

If you don't think that ND entered into that agreement with the future expectation (and direct statements to the ACC) that ND would not join the ACC in football, ever, then we might as well stop having this discussion.

Even John Swofford squelches that discussion. ND would not even agree to a sixth game to keep Pitt or BC on the schedule on a regular basis. ND has no desire or plans to join the ACC in football.

There is nothing the ACC can do about it, either, no more than the Big East could. Only a national champs only playoff setup would change this situation.

Reaction Score
If you don't think that ND entered into that agreement with the future expectation (and direct statements to the ACC) that ND would not join the ACC in football, ever, then we might as well stop having this discussion.

Even John Swofford squelches that discussion.

Why is it so hard to follow the context of this discussion?

Sheesh. The statement that was made is that the ACC is waiting on ND.

It's pretty simple. ND's expectations in that regard are irrelevant. All that matters is what the ACC thinks. If the ACC is delusional, then so be it. If someone believes the ACC doesn't have these expectations, then they are delusional.

Reaction Score
Why is it so hard to follow the context of this discussion?

Sheesh. The statement that was made is that the ACC is waiting on ND.

It's pretty simple. ND's expectations in that regard are irrelevant. All that matters is what the ACC thinks. If the ACC is delusional, then so be it. If someone believes the ACC doesn't have these expectations, then they are delusional.

It takes two to tango. The ACC's expectations are irrelevant if ND refuses. End of story.

Besides, I can dig up John Swofford's statements that he doesn't think ND will ever join for football.

A discussion needs to be grounded in some reality. Waiting on ND to join the ACC in football is not such a discussion. It is an illusion.

Reaction Score
Where will four new schools come from to form the Pac 16? I don't see that ever happening.

Pick 4 between: Colorado St, San Diego St, Boise St., BYU and UNLV.

Reaction Score
It takes two to tango. The ACC's expectations are irrelevant if ND refuses. End of story.

Besides, I can dig up John Swofford's statements that he doesn't think ND will ever join for football.

A discussion needs to be grounded in some reality. Waiting on ND to join the ACC in football is not such a discussion. It is an illusion.

Aye yaye yaye. No one here ever said that ND is joining the ACC for football. Why is that so difficult f0r you to understand?

Reaction Score
You posted this:

"ESPN's payout to the ACC would not be the reason why UConn is not going to be added there. UConn is more valuable than the vast majority of ACC teams in terms of TV dollars. UConn's bad position has everything to do with Notre Dame's half-assed status. The ACC is not adding anyone until it figures out what Notre Dame is all about."

My point is that the ACC already knows what Notre Dame is all about. ND has told the ACC loud and clear a bunch of times what it is about.

What are we disagreeing about, other than that? The ACC is not waiting on ND to do anything, in my opinion. It already knows ND's status. ND's status has nothing to do with "UConn's bad position".

There is simply no mechanism to add money to each existing school by adding anyone to the ACC and won't be unless it gets a conference network. That is why the ACC is not expanding, not because of ND.

Reaction Score
Pac 16/ESPN.

With a move to four 16 team conferences, the number of groups that control the most desirable college athletics content is reduced. Making the content more valuable, or perhaps more specifically, more expensive.

Reaction Score
You posted this:

"ESPN's payout to the ACC would not be the reason why UConn is not going to be added there. UConn is more valuable than the vast majority of ACC teams in terms of TV dollars. UConn's bad position has everything to do with Notre Dame's half-assed status. The ACC is not adding anyone until it figures out what Notre Dame is all about."

My point is that the ACC already knows what Notre Dame is all about. ND has told the ACC loud and clear a bunch of times what it is about.

What are we disagreeing about, other than that? The ACC is not waiting on ND to do anything, in my opinion. It already knows ND's status. ND's status has nothing to do with "UConn's bad position".

There is simply no mechanism to add money to each existing school by adding anyone to the ACC and won't be unless it gets a conference network. That is why the ACC is not expanding, not because of ND.

The ACC expects ND to eventually join.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104